• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1950's. (1957) Jack Kirby's Marvel Age has already begun!
2 2

331 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2022 at 2:34 PM, sfcityduck said:

You state: "He [Joe] got them screwed over by Timely... he got them screwed over by Crestwood... and he made a bad deal that ended up killing Mainline... Hmmm... Meanwhile, Jack just went on creating and drawing, even without him, while Joe was off buying mansions.... Hmmm.... looks like he negotiated deals for SOMONE."

Jack on Joe:

Yeah, lol... Roz didn't let Jack ever see Joe's book...

Mrs. Simon was a real estate broker and seems to have been fairly successful.  I say that because she was selling houses in some very rich neighborhoods and that usually means you are at the top of the game.

I'm not aware of Mrs. Kirby working outside the house. 

A balanced person might take that into account when seeing the difference in lifestyle, instead of insinuating Simon cheated his partner. 

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1957

For July Stan Lee wrote:

Nellie the Nurse #1 with Bill Everett art - First, last and only issue.

Homer the Happy Ghost #16 with Dan DeCarlo art

Millie the Model #81 with Dan DeCarlo art 

Cartoon Kids #1 with Joe Maneely art - First, last and only issue.

Dexter the Demon #7 - with Joe Maneely art (was Melvin the Monster... yeah, it's the NAME that's holding it back.... lol) - First, last and only issue.

For July, Atlas released 8 titles. 

With Bill Everett on Nellie the Nurse, he allowed him the same deal as Dan DeCarlo - he can put his name on the last page, while the splash says, "By Stan Lee". 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 7/26/2022 at 3:44 PM, shadroch said:

Mrs. Simon was a real estate broker and seems to have been fairly successful.  I say that because she was selling houses in some very rich neighborhoods and that usually means you are at the top of the game.

I'm not aware of Mrs. Kirby working outside the house. 

A balanced person might take that into account when seeing the difference in lifestyle, instead of insinuating Simon cheated his partner. 

Harriet was an employee of Harvey Comics when they got married. She must have gotten REALLY good to help them afford 3 mansions. 

On 7/26/2022 at 1:16 PM, Prince Namor said:

Harriet was an employee of Harvey Comics when they got married. She must have gotten REALLY good to help them afford 3 mansions. 

Realtor's can make bank.

2c

These are some good threads with lots of great history of the medium that could benefit future boardies.

Understand that this topic is borderline religious for some as well.

Recommend that everybody stick to the facts, including the OP. You were doing a really nice presentation of factual chronological data that I think a lot of people were appreciating and then personal commentary started slipping in which diluted the product. That commentary started the same circular discussions that has lead nowhere in the past and detracted from the quality of these presentations. You're obviously very passionate about the medium and would appear to put a decent effort into these threads.

Present the facts and let the viewer make their own interpretation - that's what a good storyteller would strive for :peace:

-bc