• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1950's. (1957) Jack Kirby's Marvel Age has already begun!
2 2

331 posts in this topic

ON NEWSSTANDS AUGUST 1957

For August Stan Lee wrote:

Zero Titles

Atlas only released 8 titles to the Newsstand.

Just so this post isn't completely empty....

In my research I discovered some interesting things, such as how much Stan relied upon John Severin to do covers, especially for new titles.

This isn't to imply he didn't use Maneely, there's a reason Maneely didn't do as many in the 12 month time period shown (cover dates October 1956 through September 1957), but it's interesting to compare his numbers even to Bill Everett who was a cover drawing machine in the 1950's for Atlas. 

Atlas released 444 titles between Oct 1956 and Sept 1957 (37 a month)

John Severin did 100 of them including 7 of the #1 issues.

Bill Everett did 93 of them including 2 of the #1 issues.

Joe Maneely did 60 of them including 2 of the #1 issues.

Dan DeCarlo did 28 - just between those 4 they did 281 of the 444 covers (63%)!

It's interesting that Stan relied so heavily on Severin to push those new titles.

Part of this was due to Maneely's work load - he did 471 interior pages, 4 TIMES what Severin did. 

The other is that Joe was regularly working on Newspaper strips with Stan, in particular the Mrs. Lyons' Cubs strip.

Stan would spend a lot of time working on trying to get numerous ideas to take hold as regular strips in the newspaper.

In fact, it's a little strange to have heard Stan talk about how burned out he was in the second half of the 50's and then see the amount of effort and work he put into trying to make these newspaper strip ideas a success. He used most of his favorites: Maneely, DeCarlo, Colletta... You can read more about this in Alter Ego #150 from January 2018 in Ger Apeldoorn's "Get Me Out of Here!", STAN LEE's Thankfully Fruitless Attempts To Escape Comicbooks (1956-1962)."

Twomorrows has a Free Preview showing a few of the pages from the story at their web site.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 1.09.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 1.10.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 1.10.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 1.10.22 PM.png

On 7/27/2022 at 10:14 AM, Prince Namor said:

In fact, it's a little strange to have heard Stan talk about how burned out he was in the second half of the 50's and then see the amount of effort and work he put into trying to make these newspaper strip ideas a success.

First, thanks for posting that Alter Ego article. Great stuff I'd never seen before!

Second, why is it strange that Stan was making an effort to get into newspaper strips if he was burned out on comics? The newspaper strips were always viewed as more lucrative and less work. Foster, Raymond, Caniff were all famous cartoonists being written up national magazines and living very nice lifestyles. In this same time period, Kirby made his own foray into the strip world with Sky Master of the Space Force. It's a very logical move for a guy who was burned out on the comic book grind to want to move to the more relaxed world of a daily and/or Sunday strip. To me, Stan trying so desperately to get out of comic books is entirely consistent with him being burned out on comic book work.

Edited by sfcityduck

One observation on Goodman and covers. I'd be curious if any comic company outside of an LB Cole enterprise was more prone to do a bait and switch on covers than Timely/Marvel. Think about it. The company started its very first issue published with a cover by Frank R. Paul - who did no interior art. Soon they'd be using a LOT of covers by Schomburg - who did no interior art. In the 60s, they'd have preferred cover artists - even though they weren't doing the interior art. Nothing pissed me off more than in the 1980s then seeing a comic with a beautiful Michael Golden cover, like an issue of ROM, and realizing that interior art sucked (I bought the comic for the cover anyway). I dunno, it just seems Marvel was more likely to do this than DC, perhaps because DC had such a house style for its Superman and Batman books. Or maybe I'm wrong, it's just an impression. I guess if I'm right, it was likely a proven sales strategy. I'd note that when Marvel had strong interior artists like Byrne, they transitioned from Cockrum covers (which extended into the Byrne run) to Byrne's. Maybe also with Kane and Starlin?  Again, probably smare sales strategy to have the best artist available to do the cover.

On 7/27/2022 at 1:43 PM, sfcityduck said:

One observation on Goodman and covers. I'd be curious if any comic company outside of an LB Cole enterprise was more prone to do a bait and switch on covers than Timely/Marvel. Think about it. The company started its very first issue published with a cover by Frank R. Paul - who did no interior art. Soon they'd be using a LOT of covers by Schomburg - who did no interior art. In the 60s, they'd have preferred cover artists - even though they weren't doing the interior art. Nothing pissed me off more than in the 1980s then seeing a comic with a beautiful Michael Golden cover, like an issue of ROM, and realizing that interior art sucked (I bought the comic for the cover anyway). I dunno, it just seems Marvel was more likely to do this than DC, perhaps because DC had such a house style for its Superman and Batman books. Or maybe I'm wrong, it's just an impression. I guess if I'm right, it was likely a proven sales strategy. I'd note that when Marvel had strong interior artists like Byrne, they transitioned from Cockrum covers (which extended into the Byrne run) to Byrne's. Maybe also with Kane and Starlin?  Again, probably smare sales strategy to have the best artist available to do the cover.

It seems like Marvel used that tactic a lot. A whole lot. I still didn't like buying a DC Superman with a Neal Adams cover and getting a Curt Swan interior though...

ON NEWSSTANDS AUGUST OF 1957!

Kirby was getting consistent work from DC, and his Challengers of the Unknown was doing well, but Steve Ditko was pumping out story after story for Charlton, doing as much work as they'd give him...

Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #5 

Story ONE - Joe Gill (writer)

0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg