• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heat of the moment
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I had to keep my collection in a hot storage unit for one year. I live in the desert, so the inside temperature of the storage unit probably reached 115 degrees during the summer. Other than the bags sticking together, the books looked fine. I'm much more concerned about humidity than heat.

On 7/24/2022 at 6:18 PM, mysterymachine said:

I'm much more concerned about humidity than heat.

Always a problem in England, dampness and cold, or the recent very humid heatwave.

Thankfully I don't listen to Asia, so I'm all set! :eyeroll:

On 7/25/2022 at 4:09 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Always a problem in England, dampness and cold, or the recent very humid heatwave.

Even over here in arid Australia, it's unexpected flooding which I've found is the biggest risk. You can leave your PC safely gathering dust in a storeroom for 10 years but then a freak storm can see water somehow get into the area and wreak havoc. As a kid I lived in the outback where it got very hot but the bottom of my wardrobe was always a fairly cool spot for my comics to live.

On 7/25/2022 at 5:16 AM, MattrixAlien said:

Even over here in arid Australia, it's unexpected flooding which I've found is the biggest risk. You can leave your PC safely gathering dust in a storeroom for 10 years but then a freak storm can see water somehow get into the area and wreak havoc. As a kid I lived in the outback where it got very hot but the bottom of my wardrobe was always a fairly cool spot for my comics to live.

A very good point, which I forgot about.  So far, perhaps I’ve been lucky, but flooding has become a worsening complication here as well thanks to global warming. 

On 7/24/2022 at 12:04 PM, KirbyTown said:

Many collectors are experiencing locally unprecedented weather conditions. If you're one of them, how have you adapted your comic protection to whatever's happening in your area?

I'm trying to limit my air conditioning use this summer to save money.

I keep my comic room air conditioned while I'm sweating in the living room.

I can't chill in the air conditioned comic room unless I'm reading or organizing cause i smoke and the comic room is a no smoking room...door stays closed 100% of the time.

So yeah...im sweating my butt off while my comics stay cool.