• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

...I'm out!
3 3

37 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, Krismusic said:

Time to get back to buying comics lol 

as well time for the Buh Buh Buh's to commence

Buh Buh Buh gocollect said it was undervalued, Buh Buh Buh insert name of instragram/facebook/youtube hyperbolist said it was a good investment, Buh Buh Buh a  boards.cgccomics.com  member said it had unlimited upwards trajectory potential.

I myself witnessed 2 sales of ASM 361 Direct Sale 9.8w at 2021 NYCC for 2k even though it was on eBay with Buy-it-now's for $1000-1200 at the time.  To all potential buyers, from a seller standpoint; a rube is a rube, a mark ain't nothing more than a mark. 

I do not sell comics as I've mentioned ad infinitum, so hell YES Bring On The Bear! Bring it on the point where even the market manipulators fail at every attempt - Yeah I know wishful thinking :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/27/2022 at 12:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

Buh Buh Buh gocollect said it was undervalued, Buh Buh Buh insert name of instragram/facebook/youtube hyperbolist said it was a good investment, Buh Buh Buh a  boards.cgccomics.com  member said it had unlimited upwards trajectory potential.

I myself witnessed 2 sales of ASM Direct Sale 9.8w at 2021 NYCC for 2k even though it was on eBay with Buy-it-now's for $1000-1200 at the time.  To all potential buyers, from a seller standpoint; a rube is a rube, a mark ain't nothing more than a mark. 

I do not sell comics as I've mentioned ad infinitum, so hell YES Bring On The Bear! Bring it on the point where even the market manipulators fail at every attempt - Yeah I know wishful thinking :)

Wishful thinking for everybody's collection to be slashed in value, since you don't sell your comics? But at least you might finally get a bargain. Who cares what happens to people that sell comics, right?

On 7/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

Were those who sell comics concerned the past few year with those paying high prices for something that might drop in value even though they claimed "unlimited upwards trajectory" and other  BS. The answer is no. No seller shows concern for a buyer and I for one simply reciprocate their sentiment.  

This is true!

No seller shows concern for a buyer. 

Why should it be any different with the other way around?

On 7/27/2022 at 1:47 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well I wouldnt use that specific acronym as it mean blanking drama queen

Never knew that. I just assumed it was something more innocuous, such as ‘Forum’.

On 7/27/2022 at 2:06 PM, D2 said:

This is true!

No seller shows concern for a buyer. 

Why should it be any different with the other way around?

Most dealers I've bought from have been willing to work with repeat customers when times might be a little tougher, especially when they have some wiggle room. But that usually requires the buyer to have spent some time at least attempting to build a rapport with the seller. Maybe you need to find a new source.

Sellers don't give discounts or bend over backwards to help when the bottom falls out, though.

On 7/27/2022 at 2:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

Were those who sell comics concerned the past few years with buyers paying high prices for something that might (now has in general) drop in value, even though the sellers claimed "unlimited upwards trajectory" and other used car salesmen BS? The answer is no. No Comic Book/Art seller I've ever encountered has shown even a modicum of future financial concern for a buyer and I for one simply reciprocate their own sentiment. 

The real true difference is my hoping prices free fall merely exists inside my own self-admitted tiny brain - no one is actually hurt fiscally by that!  All sellers,flippers,speculators, who have used exaggeration, hyperbole, and or damnable lies without remorse have affected numerous people fiscally, as buyers are nothing more than rubes or marks, right? Many of these sellers have even bragged about their overpriced priced sales on this forum. 

Up until recently I've been primarily a buyer, too. I'm currently liquidating everything, so the comic market shouldn't affect me at all in a few months (or however long it takes to sell the majority of my decent stuff).

On 7/27/2022 at 1:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

I myself witnessed 2 sales of ASM 361 Direct Sale 9.8w at 2021 NYCC for 2k even though it was on eBay with Buy-it-now's for $1000-1200 at the time.  To all potential buyers, from a seller standpoint; a rube is a rube, a mark ain't nothing more than a mark. 

I don’t mind bear market never sold any books always a buyer and collector.. but I should sell some of my less favourite books to maybe have a chance back at my grail books loke

x men 1 and ff1 and gsx1, hulk 180 and 181 might try for the hulk around Christmas time though when I have some cash.. as I see prices kinda levelled out on it 

On 7/27/2022 at 7:07 PM, Pat Thomas said:

Most dealers I've bought from have been willing to work with repeat customers when times might be a little tougher, especially when they have some wiggle room. But that usually requires the buyer to have spent some time at least attempting to build a rapport with the seller. Maybe you need to find a new source.

Yeah, that's been my experience.  It's an established relationship of mutual respect.  If I buy a book that quickly runs up in price or turns out to be too good of a deal after grading, I will try to compensate that dealer by prioritizing them or even return and offer them some additional money.  Last year I bought a book just months before it doubled in price, compelling me to sell it for a quick profit.  I sent the dealer an additional $200 after the sale.  They have full respect for me and offer me first shot at some new stuff.  And the dealers I work with often reciprocate if I accidentally over-pay for something or buy a book from them right before a big price drop.  Not with a refund, but big discounts on additional purchases.  And they are particularly accommodating if there is a negative surprise that arises from having the book graded.  

Edited by Nick Furious

I never begrudge dealers from making money, but I'm also all about the prices coming back down so I can get more books. I'm not particularly worried about the value of my collection (aside from insurance purposes) because it's a hobby, not a retirement fund. It would be a bummer if the whole thing bottomed out completely, but I don't THINK that will happen. And if it does, well, I've still got a bunch of cool books, as opposed to if I'd sunk my money into nfts or crypto or whatever. When those bottom out, you have jack squat.

The smart sellers made hay while the sun was shining. Good for them. They had a bonanza the last couple of years. Now, as prices come down, they will STILL make their money, as they will be buying books the same way they were buying them before the spike. It's all about the margins. Books may not sell for as much as they have sold for these last two years, but that also means the dealers won't be paying as much for the books, and can work a better margin. I mean, there for a while, I know of several sellers who were basically paying FMV for keys because there was no other way to get them, and prices kept going up. Dealers who have been in the game a long time are going to be fine, because they've weathered several ups and downs of the market already.

Smart sellers will continue to make money, and collectors will be able to afford more books. I think things are going to work out just fine.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:51 AM, Nick Furious said:

Yeah, that's been my experience.  It's an established relationship of mutual respect.  If I buy a book that quickly runs up in price or turns out to be too good of a deal after grading, I will try to compensate that dealer by prioritizing them or even return and offer them some additional money.  Last year I bought a book just months before it doubled in price, compelling me to sell it for a quick profit.  I sent the dealer an additional $200 after the sale.  They have full respect for me and offer me first shot at some new stuff.  And the dealers I work with often reciprocate if I accidentally over-pay for something or buy a book from them right before a big price drop.  Not with a refund, but big discounts on additional purchases.  And they are particularly accommodating if there is a negative surprise that arises from having the book graded.  

This is how you get access to the good books with less competition.  As time has gone on, I purchase less books from comic shops and more from connected dealers who are buying and selling collections.  I was lucky to get connected with a local dealer who turned out to be married to someone I went to summer camp with as a kid.  Small world.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:09 PM, BabaLament said:

Hello all!

Well, this has been an awesome journey, getting to know boardies, shop owners, other collectors, and random cool people at conventions. However, as of late the collection has become so large that its unwieldly, and I don't have the time or space to attend to it properly. So, to paraphrase Major League, "I sold the whole (Censored) thing." 5 boxes of slabs, 15 short boxes, 15 long boxes, an entire set of Star Wars LEGO, replica lightsabers, patridge, pear tree, eight tiny reindeer.

The only things I am keeping are the Funko Pop's, original artwork, blank cover sketches, and the first set of books I bought with my dad that started the whole thing, Aliens/Predator: Deadliest of the Species.

The buyer is a gentleman who is going to make sure the books find a good home, and I'm of the opinion that they're better off making someone happy out in the world than they are collecting dust in my storage room.

I'm still here for the Pop's, and I love the art & stories of my favorite comics, but this is the end of the road when it comes to collecting.

Sorry to see you letting go of your collection but great to know you prepared for it and found someone that will line up your stuff with people that will love it.  At some point I will likely do the same but that will hopefully be a long time from now.

Speaking of Marvel POPs, did you get the Frog of Thunder pop from Target?  One of the best pop renditions they have done imo.

image.png.7e0ba9e9864bb8338f65f1f3a741ac99.png

@Crops068I did get the Target/eBay Exclusive Throg Pop! I’m almost set with the full Marvel Blacklight set; waiting for Hulk to arrive via UPS & trying to find a Ghost Rider in person because of all the knock-offs that have flooded the market recently. Looking forward to picking up a full set of Black Panther II at retail when they drop. After that, I’m going to reorganize the pop wall; starting with the MCU pop’s. Captain America at the far left & moving to the right as the film era’s move on. Going to get a little creative with my chronology, but I think it’ll look good. 

Somewhat related to the discussion, from what I keep seeing many of the prices most online dealers are asking, even for common Copper Age comic books for example, are very high. Still, some folks are paying them. Being cheap, I have always been selective as to what comic books I purchase, even more so presently. I try to purchase comic books at prices below the past few sales only using what I have always referred to as my "comic book money."

Over the last approximately the last two years, I have purchased and won at auction very few, about four, comic books. However, that is the way it rolls when comic books I purchased for $750 are selling for $3000 plus. Thankfully, I purchased CGC graded keys a great many years ago, often for prices that I thought were extremely high (yet, I paid them :violin:).

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Cross out "... the last ..."