• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Damaged a book that they already damaged... Shocker...
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Hello, Well I had a copy of Black Terror #3 CGC 5.0 that was put into a slab rather harshly and done poorly which made it get crimped over time..... It is now a CGC 4.0. The case they used was damaging the book so them fixing the case issue they detached the cover and split the spine which made it drop a whole grade point. Well done CGC and CCS. 

IMG_20220727_191210_181 (1).jpg

IMG_20220727_191200_860.jpg

Screenshot_20220727-191256_Instagram.jpg

20220718_090940.jpg

• Administrator
On 7/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

Hello, Well I had a copy of Black Terror #3 CGC 5.0 that was put into a slab rather harshly and done poorly which made it get crimped over time..... It is now a CGC 4.0. The case they used was damaging the book so them fixing the case issue they detached the cover and split the spine which made it drop a whole grade point. Well done CGC and CCS. 

IMG_20220727_191210_181 (1).jpg

IMG_20220727_191200_860.jpg

Screenshot_20220727-191256_Instagram.jpg

20220718_090940.jpg

Could you do me a favor and post this in the QC thread?  I want to include it in my weekly report to the QC manager.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:19 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

Well done CGC and CCS

Infuriating.

Thanks for sharing this; do you happen to have additional Before pics you can share? Do you know if the original problem was due to improper heat sealing or was the sealed book squeezed into the case?

On 7/28/2022 at 1:56 AM, KirbyTown said:

Infuriating.

Thanks for sharing this; do you happen to have additional Before pics you can share? Do you know if the original problem was due to improper heat sealing or was the sealed book squeezed into the case?

Heat sealing. The book was never completely pushed inside which lead to most of the book being crushed

On 7/28/2022 at 1:56 AM, KirbyTown said:

Infuriating.

IMG_20220728_094121_823.jpg

IMG_20220728_094126_738.jpg

IMG_20220728_094130_212.jpg

IMG_20220728_094134_370.jpg

• Administrator
On 7/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

Have you discussed this with CGC?  If you need my help with this, let me know.

On 7/28/2022 at 12:08 PM, CGC Mike said:

Have you discussed this with CGC?  If you need my help with this, let me know.

I have but they told me that 'these things happen and that CCS is not at fault' and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. So far 2 out of 4  books sent out (All Golden Age mine you have gotten destroyed or damaged). I am debating on just stop sending them books. 

Edited by BlackTerror98

On 7/28/2022 at 11:39 AM, D84 said:

There is no excuse for this and I'd be furious. It's not some common as dirt modern that can be easily replaced. :facepalm:

It was the first and only copy I have seen for sale so I took it. Now I have to find another copy and cgc  said and I quote 'these things happen'

On 7/28/2022 at 3:12 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

It was the first and only copy I have seen for sale so I took it. Now I have to find another copy and cgc  said and I quote 'these things happen'

And what are they doing about it?

On 7/28/2022 at 5:53 PM, D84 said:

And what are they doing about it?

Basically a polite F you. I was told it would be safe and that it is very very rare basically and that "Things happens". I am no longer using CGC or CCS for anything else again. They are 2 out of 4 when it comes to book damage. 

"Good afternoon, 

Damage is always a possibility due to the interactive nature of pressing. This usually happens to comic books in fragile condition, which includes books that are tanned or brittle, spines exhibiting splits, loose paper on the staples, or pieces that are barely attached. To mitigate the possibility of damage, it is recommended that each book is examined for these defects prior to submission. When in doubt, the CCS screening service should be utilized to assess safety.

Because it is impossible to ensure that damage will not occur, CCS will not be held liable for split spines, covers or pages detached from staples, or detached pieces.  This is stated in the terms and conditions you agree to when completing your order form:"13. NCS and CCS do not provide grade protection or any type of guarantee for collectibles submitted to them. Due to the  fragile nature of collectibles, Customer acknowledges that techniques used by CCS for pressing; restoration, removal, or  conservation Services may result in new defects or damage to the collectible, including; but not limited to, spine splits  popped staples, paper pieces chipping off, creases, and stains Customer acknowledges that the conservation Services  provided by NCS or CCS with respect to a submitted collectible may result in a lower grade or no grade subsequently  being assigned to such collectible by a grading company. BY SUBMITTING A COLLECTIBLE TO NCS OR CCS  CUSTOMER WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO ASSERT ANY FORM OF LEGAL CLAIM AGAINST RELEASEES WITH  RESPECT TO A LOWER GRADE OR NO GRADE SUBSEQUENTLY BEING ASSIGNED TO SUCH COLLECTIBLE BY  A GRADING COMPANY, UNLESS CAUSED SOLELY BY THE GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL MISCONDUCT OF  NCS OR CCS

Edited by BlackTerror98

This screw up should be compensated.

And not with CGC credit either.

Sometimes people need to be held accountable for screwing up.

This is one of them.

A highly sought after book from 1943 that gets damaged by CGC screwing the pooch does not fall into the 'mess happens' category.

When people start getting walloped in their hip pocket by CGC screw ups - and get no compensation - then the fallout will be less custom.

I honestly believe CGC will have a lot less books submitted to them next year - then watch a change in attitude.

Bloody disgraceful.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:05 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

Basically a polite F you. I was told it would be safe and that it is very very rare basically and that "Things happens". I am no longer using CGC or CCS for anything else again. They are 2 out of 4 when it comes to book damage. 

"Good afternoon, 

Damage is always a possibility due to the interactive nature of pressing. This usually happens to comic books in fragile condition, which includes books that are tanned or brittle, spines exhibiting splits, loose paper on the staples, or pieces that are barely attached. To mitigate the possibility of damage, it is recommended that each book is examined for these defects prior to submission. When in doubt, the CCS screening service should be utilized to assess safety.

Because it is impossible to ensure that damage will not occur, CCS will not be held liable for split spines, covers or pages detached from staples, or detached pieces.  This is stated in the terms and conditions you agree to when completing your order form:"13. NCS and CCS do not provide grade protection or any type of guarantee for collectibles submitted to them. Due to the  fragile nature of collectibles, Customer acknowledges that techniques used by CCS for pressing; restoration, removal, or  conservation Services may result in new defects or damage to the collectible, including; but not limited to, spine splits  popped staples, paper pieces chipping off, creases, and stains Customer acknowledges that the conservation Services  provided by NCS or CCS with respect to a submitted collectible may result in a lower grade or no grade subsequently  being assigned to such collectible by a grading company. BY SUBMITTING A COLLECTIBLE TO NCS OR CCS  CUSTOMER WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO ASSERT ANY FORM OF LEGAL CLAIM AGAINST RELEASEES WITH  RESPECT TO A LOWER GRADE OR NO GRADE SUBSEQUENTLY BEING ASSIGNED TO SUCH COLLECTIBLE BY  A GRADING COMPANY, UNLESS CAUSED SOLELY BY THE GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL MISCONDUCT OF  NCS OR CCS

But they're the professionals. They have a duty of care to reject books that are clearly bad candidates for the process, not just chuck them all through like they're bloody rotisserie chickens. 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:05 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

"Good afternoon, 

"Hello, Well I had a copy of Black Terror #3 CGC 5.0 that was put into a slab rather harshly and done poorly which made it get crimped over time..... It is now a CGC 4.0. The case they used was damaging the book so them fixing the case issue they detached the cover and split the spine which made it drop a whole grade point. Well done CGC and CCS. "

Wait, they originally damaged your book when they encapsulated it. Did they say, "send it back we will press it and fix the damage for you" or did you ask them to press it on the resub?  I'm having a hard time seeing how after they wrecked the book with the press that it still got a 4.0

On 7/28/2022 at 10:28 PM, toro said:

"Hello, Well I had a copy of Black Terror #3 CGC 5.0 that was put into a slab rather harshly and done poorly which made it get crimped over time..... It is now a CGC 4.0. The case they used was damaging the book so them fixing the case issue they detached the cover and split the spine which made it drop a whole grade point. Well done CGC and CCS. "

Wait, they originally damaged your book when they encapsulated it. Did they say, "send it back we will press it and fix the damage for you" or did you ask them to press it on the resub?  I'm having a hard time seeing how after they wrecked the book with the press that it still got a 4.0

They put a what looks like a screwdriver through a 9.8 in a creep engine case book of mine...they regraded it a 9.4 and hoped I wouldn't notice.  It shouldn't be a 9.4 ;)