• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 6:51 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is this real?  I’m having a hard time distinguishing between fact and fiction right now.

Did they just separate collectors from flippers/influencers(hate that friggin’ term, and hate those that proclaim to be one even more), and limit collectors to 1, and the rodeo clowns to 10?

Even more disconcerting....is there really a Community for CBSI - Comic Book Speculation & Investing?

The end is indeed near...:popcorn:

https://comicbookinvest.com/

Been a website for a few years now. Pretty sure all the writers on the website just try to push whatever crap they can find and flip it later on. Also look at what's #2 on their hot 10 list.

Screenshot_20220808-190756_Chrome.jpg

On 8/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, deadleg said:

https://comicbookinvest.com/

Been a website for a few years now. Pretty sure all the writers on the website just try to push whatever crap they can find and flip it later on. Also look at what's #2 on their hot 10 list.

Screenshot_20220808-190756_Chrome.jpg

I thought we weren't allow to post pics of poo

On 8/8/2022 at 6:08 PM, wombat said:

I don't understand the outrage. CGC graded an INVISIBLE comic. You literally can't get any worse than that. 

While I understand you point.  The biggest issue and differences between them are. 

1. Nothing but blank see through pages in clear holder that someone paid for a grade. 

2. An already existing book that someone added an acetate cover by stapling it directly to that book that CGC graded without noting what it actually is. 

Although in reality CGC already has done this in the past with those preview inserts that have been removed from books and graded as if they were separate books. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, KirbyTown said:

HEYO IT'S YA BOY RITE EAR, WITHOUT FURTHER aDiEUuuu...Lets Gets Right Into It!

Just missing, " Word to your mother, brother lover!" 20220730_232007.jpg.4a01cbaf10c0a7b8a50f174445ee9051.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
That's my boy.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:11 PM, The Meta said:

I thought we weren't allow to post pics of poo

On 8/8/2022 at 6:12 PM, deadleg said:

We can if its done tastefully 

:sorry:

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Must resist urge..

On 8/8/2022 at 7:10 PM, KirbyTown said:

HEYO IT'S YA BOY RITE EAR, WITHOUT FURTHER aDiEUuuu...Lets Gets Right Into It!

Don't forget to like and subscribe. Also, make sure you hit those bell notifications so you can buy what I'm flipping next!

On 8/8/2022 at 3:32 PM, 8802 said:

Whatnot is cancer to collectibles. The mess they do behind the scenes is borderline criminal. Stop supporting them and a lot of this nonsense dies. 

CBSI is responsible for the retailer variant craze, so...

On 8/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, Dimez said:

Somewhat off topic and I don’t have any data on this but in recent years it seems as with some exceptions the vast majority of the 9.9 and 10 grades being given are are to store exclusives. In my years of subbing books I’ve always had the impression that for most of us 9.9s and 10s aren’t really even considered. If it looks perfect it gets the rubber stamp 9.8. 

I couldn’t possibly care less about the BS some retailers and publishers are involved in but when CGC is complicit in their actions it gives them credibility and it rubs me the wrong way. And the statement by CGC earilier in this thread about “We know what we graded and we stand behind it” is tantamount to an FU. CGC is ostensibly a transparent independent third party company, but more and more they seem involved in the nonsense. It’s really disappointing  

I assumed the reason why retailers get more 9.9s is because they're going through every book and cherry picking the best so they have a higher chance of returning 9.8s and 9.9s and thus being able to sell them for a higher rate.  Also, the fact that any books sold to consumers has to endure another round of being bounced and thrown around by the courier service.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, FFB said:

As someone who has been a member here since before the Wizard First controversy way way back more than 15 years ago, it makes me chuckle how bad you guys STILL are at PR.  

Yes, I know that this will blow over as soon as the next shiny object floats by (or enough time passes) and it's not going to impact CGC's bottom line.  But that isn't the point.  The lack of transparency here is exacerbated by your one sentence response.  Why even respond at all if you're going to respond like this?  It just makes you guys look arrogant and condescending at the same time.  

Do I care if a bunch of knuckleheads wait in line to buy a facsimile edition UF4 with an aftermarket plastic cover stapled on for $75 or whatever?  Absolutely not.  I've spent a lot more than that on things that were far more worthless in the short run, let alone the long run.  (Every visit I made to a strip club during my 20s stands out as a far worse financial decision at the moment.) 

But I do care about CGC's integrity, as do most other people who frequent these boards, as well as the thousands of collectors who aren't forum members.  Like it or not, you guys are the industry leader in certification, and you certified a facsimile edition with an added-on cover with extra staples. 

If you guys are going to do questionable things, you really owe it to your customers to give a better explanation of your thinking on the issue.  Like I said, it may not impact your bottom line today or even tomorrow, but little things like this add up over time and they aren't good for your company's brand.  The least you can do is provide some kind of a rational explanation for why a married cover is getting a blue label.  It's obvious that you "stand by it," because the book is in your slab.  It's the "Here's why it's OK" that is missing from your response.  

Mike's just the messenger.  I think since he joined and began commenting on the boards, things have been more transparent (for better and for worst).  The worst thing at this time would be lambasting Mike in case the solution is to not respond to anything and to only patrol the boards to slap bans and clean up threads.  That would certainly be a step back.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:11 PM, The Meta said:

the writers on the website just try to push whatever crap they can find

GROVER CLEVELAN MAKIN' A SPLASH! US HISTORY COMIN ATCHA FaSt...GET ON THIS YALL.

9883B4A3-F353-45F4-98F9-4D89EFEB7F20.jpeg.48c8eb61c75e41c2e05cfc808bf14ca4.jpeg

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/8/2022 at 5:51 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is this real?  I’m having a hard time distinguishing between fact and fiction right now.

Did they just separate collectors from flippers/influencers(hate that friggin’ term, and hate those that proclaim to be one even more), and limit collectors to 1, and the rodeo clowns to 10?

Even more disconcerting....is there really a Community for CBSI - Comic Book Speculation & Investing?

The end is indeed near...:popcorn:

you were an influencer...once

On 8/8/2022 at 9:43 AM, CGC Mike said:

CGC is fully aware of what we graded and stand behind them.

In a perfect world the leading 3rd party grader of comics has higher standards than or at least reflects standard of the community. But here we are. 

On 8/8/2022 at 7:03 PM, Atomic Ponkie said:

Explain the exclusive contract to me? 

I don’t know the terms of the contract, but from what I know, Marvel has to approve of it. And from what I’ve seen, they did not approve of the acetate cover, nor were they aware of it. 

The comic is essentially a bootleg.

HOWEVER, they did approve of the original. Which is pictured below. 

13BBFF64-DA7E-4719-8628-470603D918E0.jpeg

Edited by Terry JSA

On 8/8/2022 at 6:28 PM, Terry JSA said:

I don’t know the terms of the contract, but from what I know, Marvel has to approve of it. And from what I’ve seen, they did not approve of the acetate cover, nor were they aware of it. 

The comic is essentially a bootleg.

HOWEVER, they did approve of the original. Which is pictured below. 

13BBFF64-DA7E-4719-8628-470603D918E0.jpeg

Does this mean they could be taken to court by Marvel?