• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 5:19 PM, Flatliner1313 said:

Hey guys, I've been away for a bit.
What's happening in this thread?

Started as someone complaining on a consumer's behalf about getting screwed out of an exclusive; turned into talking about how the exclusive is just a DIY with a married cover, and eventually into controversy about the state of comic book grading (Florida?). There was an "official" comment in support of the DIY comic, and that made things really exciting.

Edited by KirbyTown

After a long period of thought, I'm with @onlyweaknesskryptonite if they had given it a yellow label as art or something purposefully done by the artist....

I'd be happy with that, if it was artists concept licensing or whatever .

Idk sigh. :angel:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, FFB said:

It's obvious that you "stand by it," because the book is in your slab.  It's the "Here's why it's OK" that is missing from your response.

For whatever it may be worth, Mike uses concise language like Joey does. And I'm pretty sure he's just a messenger. (not that you were necessarily calling him out vs. CGC)

Edited by KirbyTown

CGC Mike is 100% just the messenger.  He's a great addition to the team and unfortunately a lot seems to fall on his shoulders these days.

I think this stance is idiotic by CGC to say we've changed our grading stance on "extra staples & extra covers".  Hopefully everyone pushes CGC to reconsider like it took a month and change to get them to admit they were idiotic with the invisible cases, or the 6 months+ for the creep engine cases.  It shouldn't be the case but unfortunately enough pressure to the company can fix their mistakes.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:09 PM, jsilverjanet said:

@fastballspecial time to update the title of this thread - it's no longer about some company selling a variant, or the people buying it, it's about CGC giving a blue label to a married cover modern book

Oh I agree I was stunned when I read the reply a few pages back. Let me get thru the rest of the thread.

On 8/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, FFB said:

As someone who has been a member here since before the Wizard First controversy way way back more than 15 years ago, it makes me chuckle how bad you guys STILL are at PR.  

Yes, I know that this will blow over as soon as the next shiny object floats by (or enough time passes) and it's not going to impact CGC's bottom line.  But that isn't the point.  The lack of transparency here is exacerbated by your one sentence response.  Why even respond at all if you're going to respond like this?  It just makes you guys look arrogant and condescending at the same time.  

Do I care if a bunch of knuckleheads wait in line to buy a facsimile edition UF4 with an aftermarket plastic cover stapled on for $75 or whatever?  Absolutely not.  I've spent a lot more than that on things that were far more worthless in the short run, let alone the long run.  (Every visit I made to a strip club during my 20s stands out as a far worse financial decision at the moment.) 

But I do care about CGC's integrity, as do most other people who frequent these boards, as well as the thousands of collectors who aren't forum members.  Like it or not, you guys are the industry leader in certification, and you certified a facsimile edition with an added-on cover with extra staples. 

If you guys are going to do questionable things, you really owe it to your customers to give a better explanation of your thinking on the issue.  Like I said, it may not impact your bottom line today or even tomorrow, but little things like this add up over time and they aren't good for your company's brand.  The least you can do is provide some kind of a rational explanation for why a married cover is getting a blue label.  It's obvious that you "stand by it," because the book is in your slab.  It's the "Here's why it's OK" that is missing from your response.  

200.gif

On 8/8/2022 at 3:34 PM, KirbyTown said:

For whatever it may be worth, Mike uses concise language like Joey does. And I'm pretty sure he's just a messenger. (not that you were necessarily calling him out vs. CGC)

Right, I'm not calling him out per se.  He may very well have been told to say exactly what he said, which, in my opinion, is horrible PR.  My comments were directed at the organization as a whole, not at Mike personally.