• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

And to think there are some sketch artists that wanted to sketch/paint blank covers and attach them over other books as not to destroy the book they are working on. 

CGC gave those a Green/Yellow with notes of staples added and married outer cover. 

:facepalm:

But they are ok with you cutting or burning the original cover and those get Yellow Label.  

ZERO CONSISTENCY OR ACCOUNTABILITY. 

On 8/8/2022 at 4:35 PM, Iceman399 said:

Announcing our THIRD (maybe our final) who really knows!

Marvel Meets DC!

We've taken and stapled a Superman 75 along side an ASM 700!  Wrapped them with a thin gold cover.  Added some staples and VOILA!

Can't wait for everyone to get their hands on these!

image.png.b411258433ad564b8f82878aefeb8a0a.png

I'll take 76

On 8/8/2022 at 4:19 PM, ExNihilo said:

From a collectors standpoint, it's good that they were at least transparent about it.  One can only hope the feedback from everyone here forces CGC to re-evaluate their position.  Especially if it's true that the acetate cover wasn't approved by Marvel.

of course they are going to be transparent .... just like the acetate

On 8/7/2022 at 11:09 PM, captainzombie said:

This bothers me and I like his content too. Gem acts like this is no big deal. He is getting some of his fanbase turning on him in the comments.

I think many in the hobby have literally made a terrible decision to even remotely supporting this.

It's literally all over my Facebook feed today. If I was one of them I'd be acknowledging mistakes were made and go into hiding for a week.

Edited by fastballspecial

CGC already separates its processing into tiers; what if they just split into two products to serve both markets? CGC Vintage and CGC Shiny or something like that; They could each have their own standards.

I'm confident that the majority of variant and "variant" buyers have absolutely no concern about what might be going on with newsprint comics nor care about their grading criteria. All they know is that 9.8+ is what their friends are chasing and that they want it on their own exploitation covers too. I doubt Shineys even know sub-nine grading exists.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/7/2022 at 8:49 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

CAEBD937-A464-4A5C-8B87-ACDD325323F8.jpeg.fda90ccabc9d1afeffc684417d734016.jpeg

885F76B7-E5DD-4DA5-9F80-3D47EAFEC8BD.gif.549d33da17d339efa7a2704b67de87c7.gif

Somewhat off topic and I don’t have any data on this but in recent years it seems as with some exceptions the vast majority of the 9.9 and 10 grades being given are are to store exclusives. In my years of subbing books I’ve always had the impression that for most of us 9.9s and 10s aren’t really even considered. If it looks perfect it gets the rubber stamp 9.8. 

I couldn’t possibly care less about the BS some retailers and publishers are involved in but when CGC is complicit in their actions it gives them credibility and it rubs me the wrong way. And the statement by CGC earilier in this thread about “We know what we graded and we stand behind it” is tantamount to an FU. CGC is ostensibly a transparent independent third party company, but more and more they seem involved in the nonsense. It’s really disappointing  

On 8/8/2022 at 5:48 PM, Ares said:

I wonder if someone can make their own copy of the acetate cover and make their own copies of this book

On 8/8/2022 at 6:06 PM, Prince Namor said:

:idea:

Its not like their logo or any copywritten images are on the acetate

On 8/8/2022 at 5:10 PM, Ares said:
On 8/8/2022 at 4:48 PM, Ares said:

I wonder if someone can make their own copy of the acetate cover and make their own copies of this book

On 8/8/2022 at 5:06 PM, Prince Namor said:

:idea:

Its not like their logo or any copywritten images are on the acetate

Would just have to fork out a few hundred to grab a copy you could disassemble to get good scans off of so you could replicate them. 

On 8/8/2022 at 5:06 PM, Dimez said:

Somewhat off topic and I don’t have any data on this but in recent years it seems as with some exceptions the vast majority of the 9.9 and 10 grades being given are are to store exclusives. In my years of subbing books I’ve always had the impression that for most of us 9.9s and 10s aren’t really even considered. If it looks perfect it gets the rubber stamp 9.8. 

I couldn’t possibly care less about the BS some retailers and publishers are involved in but when CGC is complicit in their actions it gives them credibility and it rubs me the wrong way. And the statement by CGC earilier in this thread about “We know what we graded and we stand behind it” is tantamount to an FU. CGC is ostensibly a transparent independent third party company, but more and more they seem involved in the nonsense. It’s really disappointing  

That has been sold