• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, BriD. said:

Really? Can you share anything that says that? The way the guy from Black Flag was talking in the now removed Facebook video, it seemed he just wanted to sell out so he didn't lose money. I don't remember him saying anything about veterans. If he really was doing this to benefit veterans I think he would have led with that. I admit I didn't watch the entire video but I think I watched the whole thing before he started to talk about Boston. 

Here is the owner's video

On 8/8/2022 at 10:01 PM, darkstar said:

Here is the owner's video

Thanks for this. That's the video I watched.  Does he say at some point that the book is to benefit veterans? I don't think I can sit through it again to find out

On 8/8/2022 at 9:12 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hey all

CGC will have a follow up post regarding this tomorrow.  

Oh snap.
That's quick compared to the OVER TWO WEEKS for a response about being paid to 'grade' invisible comics.
There are still very valid questions left unanswered by CGC in that thread.

Specifically -
https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/501362-cgc-grading-invisible-comics/?do=findComment&comment=12121529

On 8/8/2022 at 9:25 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Who took the time to post this?

I have no idea, but whomever did,  not only wins the internet today, but for the rest of the week as well.

Edited by Guardian Comics

On 8/8/2022 at 11:09 PM, Diamonddave said:

We need prop bets, does CGC dig under their heels and admit no error in judgement? Or admit this was a mistake?

Anyone giving odds?

I don’t see a back pedal on this one.  Not yet at least.  With all these acetate variants coming to future cons, I doubt CGC is going to remove their hands from the cookie jar.  Black Flag is actually creating more books for them to slab...

On 8/8/2022 at 11:12 PM, Guardian Comics said:

I have no idea, but whomever did,  not only wins the internet today, but for the rest of the week as well.

I didn’t realize it was photoshopped at first.  Thought someone was proudly displaying their investment purchase.

Gotta love the internet :insane:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 8/8/2022 at 10:07 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I never heard any mention of Veterans in this video.  Maybe I missed it?

On 8/8/2022 at 10:07 PM, BriD. said:

Thanks for this. That's the video I watched.  Does he say at some point that the book is to benefit veterans? I don't think I can sit through it again to find out

No. I believe it was misinterpreted from a conversation he had as he was walking the floor. He stops to talk to a Old Time Soda vendor who said he was a Veteran and at that point he gave a shout out to come support them.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:23 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

No. I believe it was misinterpreted from a conversation he had as he was walking the floor. He stops to talk to a Old Time Soda vendor who said he was a Veteran and at that point he gave a shout out to come support them.

The whole video is a mess.:facepalm:

Talks about the “great comics Black Flag puts out”.  They didn’t put out a comic. They stapled an acetate turd onto an existing one.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 8/8/2022 at 11:26 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You can skip to about 8 minutes 30-45 seconds give or take and you will see the Soda vendor and the veteran conversation. 

I watched 5 minutes my first attempt.  Had to walk away.  But like a train wreck I went back to see it through soon after.  It’s basically a 1/2 hour video of him walking the convention floor telling the world how stressed he is about money.  It’s not a good look.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:29 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I watched 5 minutes my first attempt.  Had to walk away.  But like a train wreck I went back to see it through soon after.  It’s basically a 1/2 hour video of him walking the convention floor telling the world how stressed he is about money.  It’s not a good look.

And yet he still managed to say to support the veteran owned soda shop as Black Flag took all their money and that he sold out. He also plugged TWO more acetate drops and that they are getting away from comics (not getting away) just expanding into a "Fine Art Destination " 

Just to show the change in policy here is how they used to handle a similar comic. Think the only reason it didn't get a Green was due to lower grade, but at least they note that # 1. That the interior is Action Comics #253. #2 it had its original cover removed. #3 that National Dynamics Company distributed it with a new cover attached.

(Yes this is mine.) 

848490519_2022-07-09-0002(2).thumb.jpg.7e47caaf045fc2c48142c2a290e0f782.jpg1338046838_2022-07-09-0003(2).thumb.jpg.cb398820078539cc78d8227f31145079.jpg

Who were the influencers that were part of this? I have seen some of them outed in various YouTube videos, is there a full list in this thread?

Not that I’m putting more blame on them than CGC… flippers going to flip… but CGC?!?!? Maybe they are just an encapsulating service.