• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 7:58 PM, Skwerl said:

I would respect this if not for the fact that this acetate cover wasn't sanctioned by Marvel, i.e. it's a bootleg. And there are bootlegs of far higher quality (and even some with comparable "print" runs) that categorically get a green label because they're hack jobs. So no, you didn't treat this as you would any other variant, you treated it as you would any other official variant, and that's what's at issue. The Stray Dogs #1 acetate variant was done by Image, not some random dingbat goofballs. If I, as a comic book retailer no different in nature from Black Flag, decided to slap custom covers I came up with and printed at Sir Speedy onto a stack of Marvel comics without Marvel's knowledge, let alone their sanction, would those comics get a blue label from CGC? If so, then this is a huge change in policy for bootlegs, but either way, this isn't following precedent. It was an honest mistake, perhaps. But not in line with precedent. Anything added post-manufacturing by an entity that isn't the manufacturer/publisher is a hacked item. You can choose to not consider it a "defect," but if so, then it should be graded with qualification, as it is, by definition, a post-manufacture modification. "Manufacturing" need not be strictly defined as mechanical printing and binding; an extra cover manually attached, be it an acetate cover or paper cover or goat skin, or a rubber stamp, or a sticker, or handwritten scribbles or whatever else could theoretically be considered part of the "manufacturing process" if it's done/sanctioned by the publisher (or explicitly encouraged, as is the case with FCBD books with a huge area for retailer stamps), but no way if it's done by an unsanctioned third party. Because that could literally be anyone, doing anything.

I hate that I'm writing so much about such an ugly book, but whatever.

But they said why they did it... It's their company... We don't own it...They can do what they want... We don't have to give them the business tho. 

On 8/9/2022 at 8:42 PM, Gaard said:

I'm curious if anyone thinks they made a correct choice.

I don't see how even the CGC staff can possibly believe this was the correct choice.

So no.

Edited by Sigur Ros