• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 8:54 AM, Willbert said:

Well eBay has started blocking listing of this bootleg book as being COUNTERFEIT. The gentleman that bought a CGC 9.8 from Black Flag has posted on IG that eBay removed his listing for policy violation. Ouch. 

Wrong...10 raw listings on eBay rt now....reported

Edited by CJ Design

On 8/10/2022 at 11:20 AM, mattn792 said:

You're dreaming if you think CGC is going to ban Black Flag's account.  A conspiracy takes at least two to tango, and Black Flag has the goods on this situation as much as CGC does.  You think they won't go scorched earth if their account gets banned?

If they do maybe they will tell us how much it costs to get 10's and 9.9's. 

Then again those who are able to pay for the grade probably also have to sign an NDA with CGC for the ability to get the Pay for Grade service. 

CGC must've known what they were doing was completely wrong and was going to make them look bad. They ain't stupid. ... being greedy and without integrity doesn't mean you're dumb. So that means they just didn't care about any backlash they were going to get.

And these bs excuses about the original artist doing the artwork on the added cover making it ok is stupid, also.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:41 AM, october said:

YOU might not, but some people do.

Shrugging off someone likely buying grades takes a level of cynicism that impresses even me!

So who are you going to use going forward?

Just wanted to repost this here from the other thread:

If you're an influencer in this hobby, your outlook and genuine collecting nature should outweigh the "used car salesperson" inside you.

The genuine people, when selling books, come across like this: When selling books they highlight who the writer was, the artist, the reason this comic is important to the culture of the hobby, or other related information.

The used car sales person approach can be spotted a mile away:

"INVEST IN THIS UNDERRATED KEY!" "MOVIE IS COMING OUT", "CHECK OUT THE HOTTTTT BOOKS OF THE WEEK!!!". The posts are usually followed by everyone's favorite rocketship emoji, inferring that the gains from the investment will reach astronomical numbers. It absolutely reeks of FOMO (fear of missing out).

I see far, far more "influencers" in the second category and I can give a shining example of the worst behavior:

In a hobby where people selling books upwards of 5, 6 and 7 figures are able to crowdfund from other people so they don't pay expenses to go to a con. Absolutely unacceptable, entitled behavior. Those people should be crowdfunding and GIVING away the $$ to less fortunate people- that's the responsible/ethical thing to do.

To add here: To my knowledge the crowfunding was done for SDCC, but was it also done for C2E2? I'm sure the story would only be more complicated if it were found out that people in the hobby helped pay for some of these influencers to get copies of this book that they were then turning around and making even more $$ on. Yeesh.

Edited by Phill the Governor

On 8/10/2022 at 12:31 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

:banana:The sticky note part is a huge win for this post. :banana:

I was relying on what someone else had done/mentioned and figured it was worth a try. The person had said that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I didn't know how otherwise to make the request. It never hurts to ask...via sticky note or otherwise...as long as you are prepared to be told no. :)

On 8/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I guess we roll in different circles...

let me ask how many comics do you send to CGC each year best guess?

On 8/10/2022 at 9:46 AM, october said:

As of now? No one. I haven't submitted to CGC in two years, and somehow 2021 was my best year in terms of both profit and gross sales anyway. They are not necessary, despite virtually everyone believing the contrary.

Which is awesome, but again then why do you even care then or posting here on their website.  That doesnt make sense to me.  (shrug)

It's like someone saying they dislike a a radio host like Howard Stern but keep turning in.