• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 2:52 PM, Dimez said:

They didn’t even read what you wrote after “but”

Most likely.   This is certainly a dirt stain on the cgc brand however where else are ypungoong to take your business??  I know their not the only game in town but everywhere seems to have a problem so pick your problem.  

On 8/10/2022 at 12:39 PM, Skwerl said:

Damn. I often defend CGC and I'm no conspiracy theorist, but this looks so much like pay for grades. That looks like a custom order for specific grades. I mean, if I'm being extremely generous, I might suppose it could be that they were given a huge pile of books with a 9.9 pre-screen. But even then, to wind up with exactly 10? And then to go 3 for 3, for exactly 30? (Edit: okay, there were some 9.8s so my math is dumb but still.) That's literally unbelievable. And if the entire print run was 750, I find it hard to believe that you'd even find that many 9.9s or 10.0s if CGC pre-screened literally the entire print run anyway. Especially since these weren't fresh off the presses; they were manhandled dead stock. This reeks.

Someone get these guys on the case. You’ve got some next level shady conspiracy stuff going on at CGC.

3EE67DC6-D6C3-4530-8818-F967EF51C83D.gif

On 8/10/2022 at 12:51 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Excellent sources for backing up that opinion.  Well done. 

Do we need sources for that? The other guys are not close to CGC in market share - and that’s not an opinion, that’s just because CGC had 20+ years headstart.

in CBs defense, these are the things that help them climb up one rung on the ladder. However, continued poor branding and substandard labeling keeps them well below. (That’s a personal shot :devil: )

On 8/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

I DO NOT collect Modern books but kind of want this stupid book now. 

If I send this to CGC, will they grade it?

I wish journalists like the Deep Throat guys existed because this would make a great expose' for print journalism or 60 Minutes or American Greed.

Of course this generation's Woodward and Bernstein are YouTubers who are a tight, chummy community and who are part of the central problem here, so never mind.  😤 

This generation's Woodward is still Woodward.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:14 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

You could just sell your books raw.(shrug)

At a certain price point, trusting randos with the ability to grade becomes difficult. That’s why I love the boards, sellers here inspire confidence. Elsewhere, you may end up with a $1000 book with a married cover and extra staples being sold as NM+.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:19 PM, darkstar said:

CBSI is responsible for the retailer variant craze, so...

How come you didn't say hi last weekend, we saw you standing there staring pretending you had the stones......

On 8/10/2022 at 1:18 PM, Ares said:

Interesting to see what will happen when Marvel lawyers get on the case. 

Unless I am wrong they License and make all the variants so they get paid and Blackflag did not pay them.

And it sounds like the money made on those books is enough to justify taking them to court for a judgment. Suing someone over infringement on $500 worth of bootleg t-shirts isn't worth it, but from the numbers I've seen on this book - it might be enough to sic the legal team on them. Marvel/Disney is not likely to set the precedence that you can sell $75k worth of licenseable merch without paying fees.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/10/2022 at 1:23 PM, manetteska said:

Or how about the census for the actual underlying book? Out of 55 non-signed submissions, 0 above 9.8

image.png.b8598ed5f544c96ae6f5b4b883b14eb3.png

I can get where CGC might have just treated it as a double cover variant and graded both the acetate and original cover separately but assigned the acetate cover grade overall to achieve those 10.0 and 9.9 grades.  Normally, if that was the case, I'd be ok with it saying 10.0 Acetate Cover, 9.8 Black Flag Comics Edition cover on a Blue Label but I still can't get over the fact that they even allowed this bootleg with 4 staples in a Blue label.  It should be green or purple label any day of the week.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

This place is a great example. Earn the trust of buyers by grading accurately and providing a great service, and you can skip the CGC circus all together. 

testify-devon.gif

On 8/10/2022 at 3:04 AM, KB81 said:

Complain and type your fingers away but nothing will change. Maybe, just maybe, in due time, some change will come from this mess but take a seat cause it may be a while (I hope I am wrong and CGC does something to right this issue). 

.....and this is where all the discussion should start and end.  This entire mess is about stupid sh*t.  "Influencers" who make videos about stupid sh*t cutting in line to buy stupid sh*t so that they can make a profit on "collectors" appetites for stupid sh*t.  

Time was if you admitted to standing in a line to buy a facsimile book with an ugly- acetate frankensteined onto it, you'd have been laughed out of these forums.  

We are officially at the Beanie Baby phase of the comic collecting hobby.  I give it a year until everyone who is enough of a f-ing m*ron to care about a book like the one that started all this nonsense moves on.  Those left holding the bag can put these Ultimate Fallout #4 Facimile Acetates next to the Superman #75 they spent $300 on.

Or maybe not.  I stopped renewing my CGC membership the first time they took 7 months to grade five books I sent in.  But apparently this business model still has adherents.

Edited by RonS2112