• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 12:12 PM, ExNihilo said:

I think it's a slightly different situation than an autographed or sketched copy.

Very slightly.

I feel like it takes a lot for eBay to take action on anything.  I've reported counterfeit items in the past (like forged Stan Lee listings) and they NEVER do anything about it.

You think eBay actually understands what these are and what they're doing here?

lol

Correct, and Clayton's Instagram was promoting it as well.  I think I saw a back cover image of the acetate that might have had Clayton's signature on it, but couldn't quite tell if that was just a photoshop or the real deal.

Crain's signature is printed on the acetate.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:40 PM, Aqua Lantern said:

On a Thursday? meh

IIRC they have not done on-site grading since before the Pandemic.

Yeah that seemed odd to me too but I do know big shows open thurs-friday and I thought I heard mention of it in Jason's excuse video or early on that he had these for sale at a show the week before where he may or may not have gotten them graded.  In any case, I have no idea as I haven't submitted for onsite grading since before the pandemic so if CGC hasn't done any onsite grading since 2019 then that kind of answers my question.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m confused as to why it matters if they were graded on-site or not.???

Why it would matter is I was suggesting that being at the show CGC graders and employees doing this on the sly unofficially and unbeknownst to CGC corporate might have been able to get away with a negotiated pay for grade rate without the oversight of Sarasota. In other words, maybe this could have been a rogue employee or group of them that made a deal with Black Flag reps to have the books graded with guaranteed 10.0 and 9.9 copies. However, this is seeming less likely if there were no onsite grading at the shows Black Flag attended 2 weeks prior to C2E2 and it is sounding more likely that CGC just screwed the pooch on the authenticity of the cover and went with the acetate cover grade rather than the overall book grade.  At least that is what I'm hoping for even if it isn't the truth. 

I suspect what CGC will ultimately admit to is a misjudgement on the interpretation of the book's aftermarket cover being authentic and a new standard that authorized acetate covered books are only given the acetate cover grade and not the overall book grade going forward.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:20 PM, thehumantorch said:

I believe this is statistically impossible and unexplainable.  9.9 and 10.0 are hen's teeth and here's a mouthful.

Books with "non-paper" covers often get significantly more 9.9 and 10 than would ever be possible on "paper" covers.

http://cgcanalysis.com/cgc/search/isolateid/5007265

On 8/10/2022 at 1:20 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 8/10/2022 at 10:12 AM, ExNihilo said:

I feel like it takes a lot for eBay to take action on anything.  I've reported counterfeit items in the past (like forged Stan Lee listings) and they NEVER do anything about it.

You think eBay actually understands what these are and what they're doing here?

They have no clue which is why I'm surprised they did anything at all.

On 8/10/2022 at 4:14 PM, thehumantorch said:

Bought a collection a couple weeks ago that had 5  boxes of Playboys.  Now those things are heavy.

its the special glue

On 8/10/2022 at 2:21 PM, Lazyboy said:

???

It's called a contract and every retailer with an exclusive signs it with Marvel. It's a violation of Marvel's approval rights. 

Beyond that, in spite of what people are saying recently in this thread, it is by no means clear that "no infringement" happened under copyright and trademark law. To my eye this looks like a prohibited derivative work under the Copyright act. 

17 U.S.C. § 101 - U.S. Code : "A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted.  A work consisting of editorial revisions.... is a “derivative work”." The rights to derivative works are held by Marvel. 

It's also likely a trademark infringement because its likely to cause confusion in the market. It already has. There were certainly people buying these who thought it was blessed by Marvel. 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:44 PM, ygogolak said:

What was the speculation exactly?

I'm not sure I understand this question. People are trying to re-sell a book within a week of acquiring it, for a massive markup. The speculation is that someone was going to be willing to pay a lot more for it; the same with any flip.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, valiantman said:

Books with "non-paper" covers often get significantly more 9.9 and 10 than would ever be possible on "paper" covers.

http://cgcanalysis.com/cgc/search/isolateid/5007265

So you're saying Black Flag used better acetate than Stray Dogs 1 which the acetate cover stapled with only 2 staples in original production, not a year later by some unknown post production process?

image.thumb.png.2f5fc845bea99b6352bac9ff972f2c7b.png