• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

I really don't think cgc has thought this through. So if any artist who's registered can now alter a book, where's the line? Can they add extra covers? Foil? Stickers? 3D elements? This just makes a mess out of the whole thing instead of just admitting that they made a mistake here and walking it back.

Find an overprinted book from the 90's with a cover done by a non prominent artist. Cut out 100 sheets of Reynolds Wrap sized to the comic, staple to the cover. Have artist sign it.  

Instant variant, and would be 100% blue label according to CGC's new standards.

Also no mention yet if it has to be a cover by only the cover artist or another artist that may have work on the inside of the book.  Inkers, letterers, and writers should also qualify as artists as well I would think.

While we are at it...

I have a question... I have a question... 

Do books submitted for CGC signing opportunities receive a grade bump that they would not normally receive if they were submitted outside the grading opportunity?

Example... Book is a 9.4.  Submitted to CGC comes back a 9.4.    Same book is instead sent to a CGC signing opportunity and comes back a 9.8.

I am literally asking for a friend in this case.   I believe him when he is annoyed that his copy of "x" comes back a lower grade than the book he just sent in for a recent signing.  He says the book he sent in for a signing is nowhere as nice as the "x" he sent in.   I have heard a few of my friends echo these thoughts over the last few months with the CGC signings. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/12/2022 at 3:57 PM, kav said:

Where do you draw the line at 'established artist'?  I have several graphic novels am I established?

I think many of your posts are comedic art (although I appear to be in the minority on this), and you're clearly established on the boards at this point.

Maybe that counts?

On 8/12/2022 at 1:03 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I think many of your posts are comedic art (although I appear to be in the minority on this), and you're clearly established on the boards at this point.

Maybe that counts?

headin' to acetate store-

On 8/12/2022 at 1:35 PM, manetteska said:

1. I'm not buying these 3 rules were actually talked about prior to this week, otherwise this post would have been created much earlier than today.

2. Ignoring the timing of these rules, it sounds like instead of applying the regular CGC grading standards to a book with items added after manufacturing, an "established artist" approached CGC, asked for a favor, and CGC obliged.

It sounds like the rules were created to retrofit the situation. Which is what I was expecting after the previous explanations had more holes poked through them than 2 extra staples cause.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:35 PM, TTony said:

That's the reason Spider-man was always poor...

CGC is in "saving face" mode.  Unfortunately, this is like quicksand to them until they go back to their core rules (modifying books after production gets GREEN).  Everything else they say is just making it worse.  The bigger issue is starting to be the "We can do no wrong" stance by CGC and the new and inventive ways to explain why they did things.  Ironically, they are ruining their brand by not admitting they made a mistake.  It's really like a child who is making up excuses.

I would put the blue label and 10.0/9.9 scoring at the same level of severity.  Both are incorrect and devalue my higher grade books.

Can't wait to see Acetategate cosplay!

These rules were 100% JUST MADE UP!!!!  CGC, can we have a list of "established artists in the industry"?  

I will 100% fund an established artist to do this with me.  I want some 10.0's.

What new rules will they make up tomorrow and how will it affect the value of your graded books?  This is not what we are looking for in a grading company.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:35 PM, manetteska said:

1. I'm not buying these 3 rules were actually talked about prior to this week, otherwise this post would have been created much earlier than today.

2. Ignoring the timing of these rules, it sounds like instead of applying the regular CGC grading standards to a book with items added after manufacturing, an "established artist" approached CGC, asked for a favor, and CGC obliged.

Agreed.
It would be interesting to know of the tier / cost Black Flag publishing paid to have their copies 'graded'.
It would also be interesting to learn how much CGC makes from their 'annual' Clayton Crain signings.
(which includes a $255 'infinity murder' signature...)
Crain also appears to have distinct signature series labels.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:42 PM, justafan said:

I'm really sorry about that because for many years until now CGC restored confidence in back issue sales, restoration verification, strict grading standards, and preservation of comic books but on the bright side you've spared yourself a huge waste of an investment in time, money, and effort unlike many of us with books that have basically been devalued back to their raw unofficial Overstreet graded status with a CGC blue labeled numerical opinion that's worth less than the toilet paper remaining on the roll in your bathroom.  The one silver lining to all of this is that many perfect 9.8's in a collection can now be considered 9.9 or above and many perfect looking 9.6's are likely to be fairly considered as 9.8's.  Really the CGC 9.6 to 9.8 lines have been so blurred as to render the grade differentiation useless with the only value differentiator being the blue label.  Now that the legitimacy behind that is gone it won't matter any more.

Haha they said they were working on improving TAT, perhaps this is what they meant.