• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 4:07 PM, BoognishRises said:

Any truth to Black Flag only selling the 2 new acetates at Boston to dealers? Multiple people are saying they are not available to the public and just dealers were able to grab them.

unknown-20.png

I believe it.  That’s one way to not deal with it.

On 8/12/2022 at 2:21 PM, Dave2739 said:

So besides all of the drama, my opinion is that Clayton dude's art is legit awful. I suggest keeping him away from comic books altogether.

image.png.0695de1a5c5934cbe1d3d1071147e2b1.png

On 8/12/2022 at 2:02 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Forget acetate, I'm going to be adding some Reynolds Wrap onto a cover and get the Silver Foil designation.

:whistle:

Find a well known artist who uses skin.. ED2Book.jpg.040d6c5fb5743bdb7e843b8062cfd910.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 4:30 PM, Skwerl said:

I have long suspected this. My grading is pretty solid. 9 times out of 10, CGC gives my book exactly what I was calling it. And I generally write off the hordes of "CGC robbed me!" crybabies as just sore losers with bad grading skills. The exception is what happens above 9.4 though. I never grade a raw book higher than 9.6 (for so many reasons). I send apparently flawless books in for blue labels that mostly come back 9.6 with occasionally a few 9.8s. I send apparently flawless books in for SS labels that mostly come back 9.8 with only a few 9.6s. I hate to admit it, but it's encouraged me to send more books in to CGC signings than I might otherwise.

I have had three possible theories here: A) This is just luck/coincidence, and possibly I just send more modern/newer/nicer books in for signings partly due to my personal critieria for what goes in for signings (often just cool covers that weren't as hard to find in the best possible shape). B) When a signed book goes to CCS, it gets special handling by pressers who have more experience, who can make sure that the cleaning/pressing doesn't mess with the signature, but who also might just do a better job than usual with the pressing. Or C) Certain types of super minor defects are forgiven to some extent when you have a book that has been, by definition, handled and written on.

But I suppose there might also be D) CGC gives bias to their more profitable submissions. After acetategate, it's like... all bets are off, you know?

AFTER acetategate?

Believe me, there are people who've done endless more research than this, and I can assure you, the inconsistency, and the 'Hmmmm....', and the 'what the....????' has been there for much longer than that. 

CGC submissions just keep going up...