• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 2:59 PM, Black_Adam said:

I think the issue in this thread that CGC should be extremely concerned about is the discussion regarding the shockingly high grades these variants were given and the insinuation that the company may have been "influenced" into giving these grades. Perception is everything in business, especially when your business is giving "...clear, objective and impartial assessments of authenticity and grade."

Perception is Reality. That is so true in almost EVERY business and this is no different. You MUST think things through beforehand and anticipate every single little thing.

On 8/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, Dave2739 said:

Yeah, I stand by my earlier statement. That dude's art is terrible. What is that muddy mess on the Ghost Rider cover?

The logo and name of their Infinite Black IP splattered over the top of Marvel's trade dress. 

On 8/12/2022 at 2:33 PM, Troy Division said:

So...now that the 'rules' are clearly established, what is the over / under for artists to start using their comps and create 'bespoke' 10 copy runs of covers to sell at a premium.
Heck, they can even wait until CGC is at a show and do 1 of 1 Signature Series cover variants now I guess.
/s

1. Staple your business card to the front of a reprint,

2. Submit for a blue-lable "variant" designation,

3. Profit!

Point of order... if an "established artist" staples a trading card to the cover of a comicbook, does it get graded as a trading card variant or a comicbook variant? 

hm

Edited by jcjames

On 8/12/2022 at 2:59 PM, Buzzetta said:

While we are at it...

I have a question... I have a question... 

Do books submitted for CGC signing opportunities receive a grade bump that they would not normally receive if they were submitted outside the grading opportunity?

Example... Book is a 9.4.  Submitted to CGC comes back a 9.4.    Same book is instead sent to a CGC signing opportunity and comes back a 9.8.

I am literally asking for a friend in this case.   I believe him when he is annoyed that his copy of "x" comes back a lower grade than the book he just sent in for a recent signing.  He says the book he sent in for a signing is nowhere as nice as the "x" he sent in.   I have heard a few of my friends echo these thoughts over the last few months with the CGC signings. 

I know they will not answer, but I will weigh in on the post. 

I have seen the same thing with a few of the signings have come back higher that I would have thought as well. I too have had some that come back lower.  

The same pattern we have been seeing with most if their grades at this time. It seems to vary by which grader gets your books. 

To which they always offer their two basic responses. 

" if you believe the grade is incorrect you may send it in for review " ( which almost all of the times comes back as we stand behind that grade)

either way you pay for this. 

Or 

"Grading is subjective" 

On 8/12/2022 at 4:59 PM, Black_Adam said:

I think the issue in this thread that CGC should be extremely concerned about is the discussion regarding the shockingly high grades these variants were given and the insinuation that the company may have been "influenced" into giving these grades. Perception is everything in business, especially when your business is giving "...clear, objective and impartial assessments of authenticity and grade."

Thanks for the true reflection and honest take away, I feel somehow these are going to become acetate exclusive rules. If "they" are making it up as they go along? I'd be more worried that CRAIN and flag and influencers are able to sway the cgc rules to fit their narrative in the name of publishing. Cgc gave in it would seem but didnt wrap their heads around everything like they have fairly succinctly in the past.

I still see that cgc has a core is what I mean and not everything is ripped away but it's a sad state. It's not an excuse its just sad that they took on too much and tried to please everyone. That's my big picture. These variants just scream the past mistakes of the limited edition era and a whole lot of people are being swept out in the uproar. Vigilant people who swore to it, it just amazes me, cause I though "I" was passionate about comics not variants though, and Maybe I was just not as swept up. :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/12/2022 at 10:06 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

I love how all these YouTubers claim about how bad influencers are yet they are doing the same thing.  He said he had to do a video saying in fact he was quick to judge and people now didn't jump the line. LOL 

you missed a vital part of what he said. He said no one cut in front of the blue line. people 100% jumped ahead and went straight to the table where there was a gap to buy books (cutting the line, just not the blue line people were in)

On 8/12/2022 at 5:33 PM, october said:

The lyric is "99 problems but a ____ ain't one". 

"In God we intrust"

How ^!&%@$ lazy and/or dumb are these people? :roflmao:

So you're bothered that they changed one to an actual word, then changed the other to a word you don't think is legit?

On 8/12/2022 at 3:06 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

The UF4 had five 9.9 and one 10 by the way it was only the others that had three 9.9.  So the UF4 had more than half with better than 9.8.

I wonder if the next grading contest we have on here will include a new acetate cover.

I can't wait for the first person to submit one here:  https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/