• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 5:36 PM, Buzzetta said:

Private venue.  Admission is paid and is conditional. 

It is private property, but any expectation of privacy at a place where the public is allowed/invited would trump anything other than a “no recording allowed” notice - which I’m sure is not posted. Some concert venues allow recording, most do not - but it’s posted and on ticket stubs. I doubt that is the case here.

But, I’m sure no one wants to push their luck and get kicked out of the con. 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:14 PM, Sigur Ros said:

So you're bothered that they changed one to an actual word, then changed the other to a word you don't think is legit?

You’ve posted on this several times.  Your words comes across as reflecting absolute certainty that the creator intended to use the archaic “intrust” rather than the generally universal spelling in modern parlance - “entrust”.  Initially, I thought you were joking, if so bravo for holding the line.  If not, what is the source of your certainty?  I see two possibilities: 1. This was an incredibly careless typo on a product for which they are charging $85 a piece.  or 2. The artist intended to use the archaic form to change the slogan from “In God We Trust”. To “In God We Intrust” which is still not a correct use of the word intrust or entrust no matter how you choose to spell it.  There may be other possibilities but of these two, #1 seem more likely.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:41 PM, thehumantorch said:

Not your fault Mike.  Perhaps someone making these decisions could post in the thread.

They are too busy living that Yacht Rock lifestyle with all those greenbacks from sellin’ grades and gettin’ paids.

0A408396-4A86-4E91-BAD2-F453C3D063E5.gif.8503f25667f3c606e81275f429ca07c9.gif

Wondering how confident the AC#1, FF#1, AmFan#15, etc owners feel with their big-money CGC grades. Did that "4.0" get an under the table bump from 3.5 or lower? What about that next key they're looking at, think they still want that CGC stamp as much? Trust it nearly as much? I sure wouldn't know. But there's lots of people here on this site who do. If 10.0s are up for grabs, and no fool now thinks they aren't, what other grades can be trusted?

On 8/12/2022 at 4:46 PM, Mike's Rack said:

You’ve posted on this several times.  Your words comes across as reflecting absolute certainty that the creator intended to use the archaic “intrust” rather than the generally universal spelling in modern parlance - “entrust”.  Initially, I thought you were joking, if so bravo for holding the line.  If not, what is the source of your certainty?  I see two possibilities: 1. This was an incredibly careless typo on a product for which they are charging $85 a piece.  or 2. The artist intended to use the archaic form to change the slogan from “In God We Trust”. To “In God We Intrust” which is still not a correct use of the word intrust or entrust no matter how you choose to spell it.  There may be other possibilities but of these two, #1 seem more likely.

Yeah, he got the flag wrong in two different ways and he couldn't even get the "In God We Trust" motto correct.  If it was artistic license, it strikes me as about as creative and innovative as Piero Manzoni's infamous "cans" of you-know-what.  

On 8/12/2022 at 6:25 PM, Buzzetta said:

@PeteFromPetesBasement

Here, read this.  This was a good summary of events. 

Lol thanks for posting that, I asked what now seems like silliness just to have that quote do a good job answering all my questions :wavingwhiteflag:

I was a few inane posts amid plenty that did stay on track, so thanks for baring with me. :)

On 8/12/2022 at 4:45 PM, Dr. Balls said:
On 8/12/2022 at 4:36 PM, Buzzetta said:

Private venue.  Admission is paid and is conditional. 

It is private property, but any expectation of privacy at a place where the public is allowed/invited would trump anything other than a “no recording allowed” notice - which I’m sure is not posted. Some concert venues allow recording, most do not - but it’s posted and on ticket stubs. I doubt that is the case here.

But, I’m sure no one wants to push their luck and get kicked out of the con. 

I found this:

So lets go back to your example, in a store. A store open to the public is legally considered a quasi-public place. Both parts of that are important, it is quasi public because the store is NOT owned or leased by a public entity, this means that the store has property rights that are NOT trumped by being open to the public. This means that they can demand you leave for any or no reason that isn’t discriminatory. The latter part public is important because it defines the level of privacy, ie NONE.

So what does that all mean? It means that you can record everything around you INCLUDING conversations because by definition they are NOT private, and you can continue recording even if you are asked to stop, told to stop, or asked to leave. If you are asked to leave you MUST, they have the authority to make that demand, however they can’t make you turn off the camera is ANY case no matter what they think or want or demand. And in no state is this considered a violation of privacy or wire tapping and cops get stupid about this all the time. If they want, let them charge you, its an easy way to get paid because they can’t ask their supervisor..

It should be noted that how far you must go to leave is a big question and not one that they can define. If you are in a strip mall then they really can’t make you leave the ENTIRE mall, they can make you leave the store which they legally have control over but unlikely the entire mall. Just like if you are in a store in a regular mall, they can’t make you leave the mall, they can make you leave the store, mall security can demand you leave the mall. But even then they can only demand you exit to the right of way, which is usually NOT the sidewalk around the mall nearest to the doors but the one that is on the outside of the mall property.

Catching up on the last six hours but the response from 6 hours ago is just….I don’t really know the words. Terrible I guess. Ever want to document someone not being able to admit they were wrong…that is the post. 

On 8/12/2022 at 12:33 PM, DrunkWooky said:

It doesn't make sense, though. The prefix already exists in the sentence as the first word "In." Trust can be an adjective, noun, or verb. Here it's a verb. "In" is an adverb, modifying "trust" so that trust operates on the object, "God" in the modified way "in" God. The prefix "In" or "En" is redundant on the suffix trust. 

I know Entrust and Intrust are both words, but they are not correct in this sentence. 

I entrust you :foryou:

On 8/12/2022 at 7:33 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

Nice place to be, having to call security on all potential customers.

Guys walking up and taunting the employees who had nothing to do with creating the books are not potential customers.

They're dumbasses.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:13 PM, Mr. Bones said:

These last few pages really have me curious as to what happens when the inevitable Crain private signing is announced.

The 'third annual in-house' private signing just happened in April / May.
Pure conjecture on my part, but I believe this is the timeframe that the idea / plan of acetate variants may have been discussed with CGC representatives.*

* ANYONE at CGC, please feel free to let me know if the timeline of the grading plan is incorrect.
* Also, why is there a $255 signature?

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/487345-cgcinhousesignng-a-lot-in-house-signings-pg-numbers-of-signers-and-deadlines-in-1st-post/?do=findComment&comment=12202538

On 8/12/2022 at 6:04 PM, Sigur Ros said:

It's not the recording.  It's the harassment.

I guess that would depend on people coming up and verbally harassing them. Just recording is not harassment, but I would agree that giving them grief would be.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:10 PM, JC25427N said:

How long until a movie adaption of this story comes out? It will blow the box office right out of the waters, I hope they make it faithful to the source material and keep the iconic line "It's acetatin time!"  

Just begging Sony to Cease and Desist you?

image.thumb.png.f8c610569f4be69128b37b662081eb49.png

On 8/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, BoognishRises said:

Clayton Crain being invovled from top to bottom is what has Marvel and CGC fine with this, and Black Flag gets to laugh all the way to the bank. Now they're slapping the general public in the face even harder by only selling the 2 new acetates to dealers/influencers in Boston. Lol!

Honestly, I really want to see Bad Idea’s response to this and hope it is in full-blown Bad Idea fashion.