• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 6:44 PM, kav said:

looks like a high school art student's project to be honest.

Hey, everyone has their own taste.  People probably don't like the art I like.  Just saw some people thought there was a venom acetate too and wanted to correct any misconceptions.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So is the game that CGC did invisible comics with acetate and manufactured the grade, now that is being attributed to these specific acetate variants? I'm starting to get it.

Still sounds like instead of glod or plod it's now the ablod, ie acetate blue label of death.

I thought at first this spread under other fields, then I saw cgc lack of response there of and wondered: does cgc knowing more "facts" than we do just disregard all these  "other" attributes as speculation?

I'm trying read between the lines jic there is a simpler approach, but it looks like I may be in for another 100 pages  @Buzzetta variants bad, cgc after manufacturing blue label bad.

:popcorn: and for those wondering, I do somewhat have vested interest in this, one in the set of my distorted holograms says "manufactured with distorted hologram" on the label rather than just "distorted hologram"

Which I thought was cool at first, @Black_Adam

Doesn't say "after" 

But I dont have a good feeling about my slab

3791495_Full_Rev-1.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 3:48 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Hey, everyone has their own taste.  People probably don't like the art I like.  Just saw some people thought there was a venom acetate too and wanted to correct any misconceptions.

true but there are objective standards.  Otherwise everything is art.

Screenshot 2022-08-12 3.51.54 PM.png

On 8/12/2022 at 4:24 PM, Gaard said:

"There is a precedent for acetate covers being attached to a printed book, and then graded by CGC"

"For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade."

I think "unprecedented" probably means the non-publisher acetate added to the book. 

You know,  the very reason they shouldn't be grading it.  Lol

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/12/2022 at 3:13 PM, TTony said:

"Come out come out wherever you are" lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChLGmoODUHK/?hl=en

That is epic!  No one in line at Black Flag, no business being done, all the Black Flag people hiding/huddling behind their artwork standups, no acetate bootlegs for sale, and stacks of Dum-Dums lollipops on the table.  It's like they're calling their customers Dum-Dums, which, of course, they are!  

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

They either already got contacted by Marvel or they talked to a lawyer and realize it's just a matter of time until they get the C&D letter.  That gawd-awful Ghost Rider exclusive is a lawsuit just waiting to happen, even moreso than the UF4 was.  And that Deadpool cover is just lame.  

Given how freaking expensive that booth must have been, how little money they're going to make at the con, and all of the unsold acetate covers they have left, they are going to be taking it in the shorts on Fan Expo Boston.  It's so fitting.

CGC may not have the stones to do the right thing, but at least now we know that these stunts will be met with derision and scorn by the consumer.  

On 8/12/2022 at 6:46 PM, CJ Design said:

The guy who did the vid (dwillmatic) and he keeps at them...the Black Flag dude finally came out and said he called security...dwill  not drunk, just being relentless, like many say they would....props.

Must suck to sound like an obnoxious drunk when you're sober. 

On 8/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, CGC Mike said:

We feel it is important to provide transparency on how CGC arrived at our method of certifying Clayton Crain’s Ultimate Fallout comics with the attached acetate covers. For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade. After Mr. Crain spoke with us prior to C2E2, the rules we applied to his books:

• The additional cover had to be created by an established artist in the industry.
  • The comic to which the cover was attached had to contain a cover by that same artist.
  • A copy of the comic with the attached cover had to be submitted to us for inspection prior to certifying any copies.

Given the recent circumstances, we have made adjustments to the labeling originally used for the Ultimate Fallout exhibiting the acetate cover. Going forward, any copies submitted to CGC will display in the label text: "In God We Intrust" Acetate Artist Cover attached with 2 staples after manufacturing. The books will still be allowed to receive a Universal label.

This will also apply to Mr. Crain’s forthcoming copies of Ghost Rider #1 and Deadpool Nerdy 30 #1 that contain an acetate cover.  

image.png

Does nothing though to address the high grades of 10 and 9.9. 

On 8/12/2022 at 4:01 PM, FFB said:

That is epic!  No one in line at Black Flag, no business being done, all the Black Flag people hiding/huddling behind their artwork standups, no acetate bootlegs for sale, and stacks of Dum-Dums lollipops on the table.  It's like they're calling their customers Dum-Dums, which, of course, they are!  

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

They either already got contacted by Marvel or they talked to a lawyer and realize it's just a matter of time until they get the C&D letter.  That gawd-awful Ghost Rider exclusive is a lawsuit just waiting to happen, even moreso than the UF4 was.  And that Deadpool cover is just lame.  

Given how freaking expensive that booth must have been, how little money they're going to make at the con, and all of the unsold acetate covers they have left, they are going to be taking it in the shorts on Fan Expo Boston.  It's so fitting.

CGC may not have the stones to do the right thing, but at least now we know that these stunts will be met with derision and scorn by the consumer.  

People are saying BF went around and sold them to vendors prior to the show opening and that's where the pictures are coming from.  What vendors are supporting this?  There are others who are saying BF is not selling the books because of potential issues with Marvel or the Con.  Drama.

If CGC comes out and says they see the error they made, they can still save face and show they are IMPARTIAL.  I have several hundred more books to submit but am holding off until this is resolved.  If these books were graded as part of some marketing campaign (like the CGC 9.5 for Wizard World), then they should have their own color label for marketing or a green label.  But these should NOT be counted as blue label 10.0, 9.9 or 9.8 books.  If blue label, the highest would be 7.0.