• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 5:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Every con I've been to instructs that you are not to take pictures, and I guess now nor videos, without consent.

there's always pics up the yin yang on the internet tho.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:56 PM, kav said:

there's always pics up the yin yang on the internet tho.

I know 😏 I think it's their catch all in case there IS a problem. I usually still ask dealers and or cosplayers, that's why the cosplayers are posing 

I've only had a few dealers tell me no, and BECAUSE I was going to post here. I mentioned that but but still never said who nor pics when asked here. Can't win them all just trying to be hospitable.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/12/2022 at 8:01 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know 😏 I think it's their catch all in case there IS a problem. I usually still ask dealers and or cosplayers, that's why the cosplayers are posing 

I've only had a few dealers tell me no, and BECAUSE I was going to post here. I mentioned that but but still never said who nor pics when asked here. Can't win them all just trying to be hospitable.

I'm disliking autocorrect today.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:52 PM, Mike's Rack said:

Or maybe Clayton noticed the typo after it was printed and decided to use the Peewee Herman “I meant to do that” defense. 

That very well could be. 

The printer is far from the first person to see it but if I was the printer,  I would have asked 100%.  Then he would have had to look at it again and say "yes,  that's what I want" before I'd print it.   Who knows.  I'm believing it's what he wanted but I don't know.  I just find it odd seeing people saying it's wrong and calling him stupid (or whatever).  That seems pretty certain. 

On 8/12/2022 at 8:23 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Never stated I was certain. I'd say the guys calling him names for getting it wrong seem pretty certain though.

All I'm saying is it seems intentional since it is not only on the book, which would have gone through editing and approval stages before printing (and no doubt even the printer called to double check when they saw it), and it was also posted on IG by Crain himself before they book came out.  Which I posted.   I mean... if a guy, with his reputation on the line, calls his very own book the "In God We Intrust cover".....  I'd tend to believe it instead of saying "no, it's not!!", but that's just me (I'm not an internet lawyer or anything).

To say it's the wrong usage is untrue.  Entrust is a verb.  Trust is a noun and/or verb.  But trust is faith, and entrust is to act on that faith.  This is how it's used in the Bible.

I've said there is nothing wrong with the phrase as-is, and it could have been very intentional not to copy the nation's motto word-for-word. On the other hand, a half dozen people who do this stuff for a living could have all missed it.  I've never once stated I was absolutely certain. The half-dozen here who claim to know it's incorrect may have a more interesting explanation to support their certainty.. but I'm guessing not.

(thumbsu

This is not an attack on your take on this subject, but rather my opinion of the use/misuse of the word. Typos happen on more important stuff with better editors. To think some fly-by-night cash grab was subject to rigorous editorial standards or even more than one set of eyes is giving them too much credit, IMO. 

My second-hand embarrassment for Crain would be assuaged if he purposely meant to do it, but I have a feeling that isn’t the case. 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:24 PM, Axelrod said:

It's like they were almost acknowledging that they possibly might have made a poor decision with the whole "For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade," thing, but then they just doubled down on the dumb.

I think they are silently hoping that their ambiguous criteria of only "established" artists working on their "own" original covers and only if they are submitted to CGC for "inspection" ahead of time, will mean that there won't be a lot of these types of submissions in the future.  

Luck with that.  

Actually, I wonder about the whole "must be submitted for inspection prior to any grading" thing.  Isn't that, like, every book?  Aren't they all submitted for inspection prior to grading?  Is this their way of indirectly addressing the abnormally high grades?  Well, see, we "inspected" these books ahead of time, and then, see, we told Black Flag what the grades would be if they went ahead and wanted to officially submit the books.  And then, Black Flag told us they just wanted all the real high grade ones to be graded....

One can only imagine the cost of that pre-approval inspection. 

For those who suspect there's "pay for play" going on, I'd reckon that's your smoking gun.

I find it extremely unlikely that cost is zero if CGC is willing to undermine their own brand to the level they have. Just slapping these with a green label at the start would've put out this fire before it started; but then they can't sell the opportunity to upgrade into a blue with unaffected (if not outright inflated) grades.

I had my concerns when I saw the Promise Collection grades (with numerous inflated grades and Heritage as the exclusive seller), but this is a whole new level of bold.

My two cents? As the old saying goes: "it is worse than a crime; it is a mistake". What we don't know is if this will be anything more than a scratch on the 800 pound gorilla, but either way, I'm done tossing it my bananas.

Edited by Legion of Goom

On 8/12/2022 at 8:52 PM, Mike's Rack said:

Perhaps.  I don’t think anyone said they were certain about it, it seemed implied in your posts but much nuisance is lost in internet banter.  Nice lawyer zinger btw.  Are you saying “In God we entrust” is a correct usage?      I’ve never encountered that phraseology.  I’m not saying it’s wrong, just unusual enough to suspect it was unintentional.  A quick Google search led me to only one website that used that phrase - “Steve’s Bible Meditations”.  Possibly another of DrunkWoody’s gonk droid sites.  Maybe Clayton is a reader.  Or maybe Clayton noticed the typo after it was printed and decided to use the Peewee Herman “I meant to do that” defense.  I’m agnostic on the subject as I don’t have enough information to form a conclusion but I have my suspicions.

I’ve been reading it as “In God we intrust America”.   Not sure that makes much more sense but...

9DD3BE30-AC17-489C-BE0C-04E9241371CC.jpeg.b7d8efd149bc6af57a1851f4d850dd24.jpeg

On 8/12/2022 at 6:22 PM, Buzzetta said:

I am looking at some easy 9.9's if not 10's with a shot of 11.5. 

6pspip.jpg

naw

On 8/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’ve been reading it as “In God we intrust America”.   Not sure that makes much more sense but...

9DD3BE30-AC17-489C-BE0C-04E9241371CC.jpeg.b7d8efd149bc6af57a1851f4d850dd24.jpeg

Ditto.   That's exactly how I read it. 

On 8/12/2022 at 9:22 PM, Buzzetta said:

6pspip.jpg

There it is!

Also, Neeley Family Acetate Variant 

08F72B7F-C489-4AEA-B816-1F89F5EB8366.jpeg.c92f83e437711c9a7471cf239f512d20.jpeg

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/12/2022 at 6:22 PM, Buzzetta said:

6pspip.jpg

How come you cropped the photo at upper right?  Put the whole thing on an acetate and it would sell out immediately!  lol

On 8/12/2022 at 8:18 PM, TTony said:
On 8/12/2022 at 7:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ery con I've been to instructs that you are not to take pictures, and I guess now nor videos, without consent.

Maybe you need to be an "established influencer" to do that?

I believe it's a rule regardless, to all attendees, I assume the establishment itself and or workers there have the rights to photo for promotion purposes, but I'd assume that is where it ends.