• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

black flag were a bit dumb / naive doing what they did thinking it was totally OK.   At the end of the day i dont blame them or their staff that for this mess.

CGC are representing themselves as the gatekeepers of this stuff and collectors rely on them.  if CGC never graded this book in such an unprofessional manner, the only story would be about how silly the influencers were falling on each other's swords - hyping up a poorly modified comic and wasting their money on it . 

instead, CGC they have validated this by grading the book the way they have and proceeded to double and triple down on it , creating a massive backlash in the collector community.  Once again the financial fallout is currently  only hitting the comic dealer who did something dumb to try make a buck and now has an empty booth and copping heat on the floor at Boston.   

As long as collectors keep putting value on the CGC slab over a raw or competitor's history tells us this will continue and get more blatant.    

Has anyone approached CGC at the con?

On 8/12/2022 at 11:23 PM, MGH said:

black flag were a bit dumb / naive doing what they did thinking it was totally OK.   At the end of the day i dont blame them or their staff that for this mess.

CGC are representing themselves as the gatekeepers of this stuff and collectors rely on them.  if CGC never graded this book in such an unprofessional manner, the only story would be about how silly the influencers were falling on each other's swords - hyping up a poorly modified comic and wasting their money on it . 

instead, CGC they have validated this by grading the book the way they have and proceeded to double and triple down on it , creating a massive backlash in the collector community.  Once again the financial fallout is currently  only hitting the comic dealer who did something dumb to try make a buck and now has an empty booth and copping heat on the floor at Boston.   

As long as collectors keep putting value on the CGC slab over a raw or competitor's history tells us this will continue and get more blatant.    

Has anyone approached CGC at the con?

I don't think anyone working the booth at cons are high enough up the chain to have an answer, let alone speak freely to give an answer even if they had one

On 8/13/2022 at 11:32 AM, JC25427N said:

I don't think anyone working the booth at cons are high enough up the chain to have an answer, let alone speak freely to give an answer even if they had one

exactly my point... its business as usual at CGC  ( who are the primary reason for this mess) .  All the uproar, but people keep on going back .  

On 8/12/2022 at 10:39 PM, MGH said:

exactly my point... its business as usual at CGC  ( who are the primary reason for this mess) .  All the uproar, but people keep on going back .  

Well I would say that those are modern customers. Voldermort has  an excellent opportunity here I would be trolling the hell out of CGC.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:48 PM, Cman429 said:

If there isn’t some kind of reward at the center, it’s not worth sucking on for 10 minutes. This comment is not meant to be as dirty as it sounds. Intrust me.

Renegade-Pervert.gif.60415da71098a1dd52037fd82bad5d90.gif

On 8/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Why are you all assuming they didn’t make anything? 2 variants, 750 copies each, $100 a book. Let’s say they sold out the 1,500 copies before the show started that’s $150,000. We know for a fact that copies are already at other dealers booths so copies have been sold. Not necessarily all 1500 but more than 0

I'm not assuming they didn't make anything, but you can bet that this weekend isn't going to do the numbers they thought or even close to it.  I highly doubt they sold all or even a major fraction of the two remaining acetate books, and if they did, those books are going to hit the market like a lead balloon for the resellers.  These are the most reviled books on the market right now and most people would be ashamed to own them at this point unless they are completely out of touch. 

A week ago, they were the hottest thing going and now they're hiding behind their booth and giving away dum-dums.  :insane:

On 8/12/2022 at 9:50 PM, FFB said:

I'll bet it was at least $25K for that booth, just from what I know similar booths sell for elsewhere.  That guy must be sweating bullets.  It's probably why he finally came out to start huckstering the rest of his inventory even though he knew people were gunning for him.   

On 8/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

25K? 
B9D4F50D-E647-4846-A1B7-6B914BE1D463.gif.30001624c70d4f109d561b0439e535c3.gif

Ironically the same amount a copy of their book sold for? :insane:

D53197A1-ACB8-456E-9B0D-B5E99C35FFB5.jpeg.36963963f95d88541d09c65f34c432b5.jpeg

20220812_235523.gif.de430176864fc76c7cdff860ef80a994.gif

On 8/12/2022 at 10:32 PM, ExNihilo said:

Comments locked on both Clayton Crain and Black Flag's Instagram pages.  :roflmao:

They deserve every bit of scorn they are getting.  I hope Marvel pulls both of their cards for this.  No more work for Crain and no more exclusives for Black Flag.  

On 8/12/2022 at 6:20 AM, jsilverjanet said:

What we need is a poll for them to truly understand the number of people who have an issue with what CGC has done

:idea:

This is an opportunity for someone to claim my free month of Fake Forum Friendship.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, Gonzimodo said:

I just want to reiterate how ridiculous (and somewhat insulting) it is that the American flag is drawn incorrectly (white stripes on edges instead of red) on the back and that the folded flag on the acetate is drawn incorrectly, with the stripes peeking out from the folds.  I really didn't expect such amateurish work from Clayton Crain if he's really the one responsible for that.  Everything about this book is a clown show.  I can't wait to see what today brings. :popcorn:

Intrust [sic] the process!  :wink: xD (:

On 8/12/2022 at 2:24 PM, BoognishRises said:

Telling ya, Marvel is fine with it. Rich at Bleeding Cool didn't confirm squat. 

Prepare for the acetate invasion. Multiple retailers are already making plans to keep this trash going.

There's going to be more 10's than the Playboy Mansion in its heyday!  :wink: xD (: