• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 7:13 PM, Buzzetta said:

No you do not carry on like Roy. 

Again, as I have been told.  If I put something out there for public consumption then they are free to comment on it.  Until we finally get that dedicated ignore function many of us would like to see, it is what it is.  

So, I guess deal with it.  Like I have been told to deal with certain people "liking" posts that criticize me.

P.S. I thought your posts on the Prey movie were spot on. 

I respected you a lot before, just lately you've been coming across as a right jerk

Really wish I knew why

Yankee time... let's see how we can screw up tonight against Tampa. 

3-0 Tampa Bay and the game is only ten minutes old.  

Seriously 

:ohnoez:

On 8/16/2022 at 5:48 PM, Kripsys99 said:

"We're Sorry"

A message to the comic community from CGC President Matt Nelson regarding "Acetate Gate":

"On behalf of both CGC and myself, I would like to extend a sincere apology to the comic collecting community for CGC's role in what has come to be termed 'Acetate Gate.' To put it as simply as possible: we screwed up, and we're sorry. When Black Flag approached us regarding the possibility of CGC grading and encapsulating their limited release acetate cover variant of Ultimate Fallout #4, we saw an opportunity to bring something novel to our customers, while simultaneously cultivating a new revenue stream for the company. However, we failed to think through the consequences of grading a dealer produced variant as if it was a publisher produced variant, and the effect that would have on the comic collecting community's confidence in our grading standards. We should have thought it through, but we didn't. The Black Flag variants, essentially being "bootlegged" copies, should never have been graded by CGC in the first place, and certainly should not have been given Universal grades without notations. In recognition of same, we will be removing already graded copies from the census, and offering refunds to anyone who sends the already encapsulated books back to us (the books themselves will be returned once cracked from their cases). I would also like to address the issue of BF variants receiving an inordinate number of 9.9 an and 10 grades. Most grade deductions for modern comics submitted to CGC are attributable to imperfections in the outer cover. In the case of the BF variants, we assigned grades based on the acetate outer cover of the books. Acetate, being a more resilient medium than paper, resulted in a substantially higher number of the comics being graded 9.8, 9.9, and 10. CGC has never, and will never, "sell grades" - but under the circumstances, I can understand why some of you may have questioned same. We know that our handling of this matter has caused many in the comic collecting community - including many of our biggest supporters - to question our judgement, our business model, and our integrity. We understand your concerns, and take them seriously. Please rest assured that we care as much about the integrity of our grades as you do, and that we will never allow something like this to happen again. In closing, I want to thank the comic collecting community for caring enough about this issue, and our company, to hold us to account for our role in this matter. We look forward to the opportunity to prove to all of you that CGC remains the preeminent comic grading company, and that we remain worthy of being the gold standard for serious collectors world-wide.

Sincerely,

Matt"

Just to be clear, this is not the response CGC ACTUALLY provided, it's the one they SHOULD have provided in the first place.

After reading this entire thread, I just got tired of the condescending breadcrumbs CGC was tossing down to us plebs justifying their highly questionable actions, and decided to fan-fic the apology I would have liked to have seen in the first place.

Matt, if you decide to use this, I can PM you my address so you can send a cheque.

F5F54267-A0BC-4F5D-8768-C14A8B06E3BB.jpeg

Edited by Terry JSA

On 8/16/2022 at 5:23 PM, bc said:

Black Flag may not have paid extra, but they paid.

It's mathematically impossible to get the grade distribution they did across 3 titles within one submission with out some kind of prior agreement.

-bc

Its possible if they did a prescreen. Ludicrous and suspicious, but not impossible. I just don't feel comfortable with the absolute accusation. I think it could get this thread locked, we have to keep this thread going!

On 8/16/2022 at 6:29 PM, bc said:

So Black Flag can get EXACLY one 10.0, three 9.9's and six 9.8's across 3 different titles when the submission only consisted of 30 books?

The original version of this frankenbook had 100x times more submissions and never got better than a 9.8.

-bc

They take the acetate grade into account for the label, I have more of a problem that the rest of the books were as flawless in those exact grades.

That said.

When cgc did the invisible comics there were grades because the acetate had a grade inside the slab, those were conditioned and manufactured to have those grades for bad idea. So yes there is precident of all of the above.

We still don't know if that specifically happened with these though I've asked if that was everyones thought process to no avail in this thread. Worth it to reask. ???

In other words the acetate was the only gradable thing for bad idea, which in the slab looked "invisible." That's why the invisible comics had all ranges of grades slabbed

So with acetate applied here it is possible that the train of thought could again be applied 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I still for the life of me cant understand how anyone can staple a cover to an already existing book and have all edges line up flawlessly to achieve a 9.9 or 10.0.    the only i can think of is to trim the book back after it was stapled otherwise there surely must be some misalignment.   

has anyone been able to explain this

oh thats right.. it doesnt matter if you are an 'established artist' buying slabs in bulk

Edited by MGH

On 8/16/2022 at 6:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

In other words the acetate was the only gradable thing for bad idea, which in the slab looked "invisible." That's why the invisible comics had all ranges of grades slabbed

So with acetate applied here it is possible that the train of thought could again be applied 

It takes a lot of memories and keeping tabs to come up with this theory, but if you've been around for a year, @CGC Mike this was the reason for all the tags and questions but we never got a response, only a response to the blue label