• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2022 at 8:50 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Forget the whatnot BS and screwing over of collectors (yet again)... 

The bigger question is why these get blue labels? 

They're just the 2021 facsimile edition with an acetate cover stapled to it.  There are 4 staples. 2 for the book, 2 for this ugly cover.  Yet CGC is giving the married covers blue labels. Word going around is they aren't even official. That Marvel didn't approve this. 

Why does CGC ignore this? 

Screenshot_20220807-204243_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220807-204831_Instagram.jpg

Maybe @CGC Mike can answer that for us? 

On 8/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, Tnexus said:

Where did Marvel say they had no idea about this?

I don't know about that, but the owner mentioned in his video that he was careful not to use anything that was protected by copyright. Sounds like an unlicensed after-market art project. Not sure why CGC would even grade these. 

On 8/7/2022 at 6:37 PM, thehumantorch said:

We had a variant craze in the 90s

Not really. There were some variants, but it was nothing at all like now.

On 8/7/2022 at 6:37 PM, thehumantorch said:

These are manufactured to be collectibles and I don’t see any reason to chase them.  And why anyone would listen to these self appointed influencers is beyond me.  

(thumbsu

On 8/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, captainzombie said:

This is quite crazy as I was probably number 20 in line at the Black Flag booth when they let us on the main floor. By the time I had gotten to purchase the ASM #1 Clayton Crain variant, these UF reprint/facsimile abominations were all gone. Not sure who thought that these acetate covers were a good idea, but it just made the original UF4 look very ugly.

I am baffled how CGC would grade these considering that there are 4 staples on this vs. the normal 2. Have to wonder now that they will set this precedence grading a book with 4 staples since Black Flag and co. frankensteined this book with even Marvel approval.

Wait...what?

This exclusive is simply an acetate cover stapled to an existing Marvel facsimile?

On 8/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, Iceman399 said:

Someone's not impressed (no idea who they are just saw it online) 

received_764912884558762.jpeg

This is wild, so did all these YouTubers end up getting the copies of the books?

• Thirsty_For_Attention_Girl_Comics = nerdy girl comics
  • ConManThomas = comicTom
  • Scuttling_Creeps_Comics = Skeleton Key Comics
  • Golden_Girls_Guru = the dude that is on with Comic Tom from time to time.

I wonder who the rest of the people are that they are referencing?

On 8/7/2022 at 9:28 PM, captainzombie said:

This is wild, so did all these YouTubers end up getting the copies of the books?

• Thirsty_For_Attention_Girl_Comics = nerdy girl comics
  • ConManThomas = comicTom
  • Scuttling_Creeps_Comics = Skeleton Key Comics
  • Golden_Girls_Guru = the dude that is on with Comic Tom from time to time.

I wonder who the rest of the people are that they are referencing?

Unfortunately I have no answers. :( just something I saw tending relative to this convo

On 8/7/2022 at 8:33 PM, Iceman399 said:

Unfortunately I have no answers. :( just something I saw tending relative to this convo

This is all just interesting and to think I was in that damn line on Friday, and didn't realize that there was an issue till this was reported yesterday. If there was any kind of ruckus, it would have occurred before we were let out on the floor.

You have to wonder how this will effect the integrity of CGC giving this frankensteined book blue label, yet a 10, 9.8, etc.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:22 PM, Nick Furious said:

Not sure what that could even mean.  

That he used an American flag and "USA" on his piece of plastic.  Not something Marvel would have a problem with (copyright). 

Then stapled it to facsimile UF4s. 

On 8/7/2022 at 9:37 PM, captainzombie said:

You have to wonder how this will effect the integrity of CGC giving this frankensteined book blue label, yet a 10, 9.8, etc.

It won't.  Their customers honestly don't care about integrity. 

Invisible books didn't matter. Inconsistent grading doesn't matter. Removing label notes didn't matter.  Free notes that don't even exist doesn't matter.  Constant damaged slabs didn't matter. 

Sure, some will complain, then they'll send more books for grading. 

So a 2021 book gets an acetate label stapled to it and gets 9.9s and 10s.  Why wouldn't it?  😉

Screenshot_20220807-211709_Instagram.jpg

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/8/2022 at 11:45 AM, Sigur Ros said:

It won't.  Their customers honestly don't care about integrity. 

Invisible books didn't matter. Inconsistent grading doesn't matter. Removing label notes didn't matter.  Free notes that don't even exist doesn't matter.  Constant damaged slabs didn't matter. 

Sure, some will complain, then they'll send more books for grading. 

So a 2021 book gets an acetate label stapled to it and gets 9.9s and 10s.  Why wouldn't it?  😉

Screenshot_20220807-211709_Instagram.jpg

Why would anyone even buy this krap?

Amazed to see Filter81 named as being a buyer in bulk of these things. Stunned in fact.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:50 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’d love to see CGC’s policy regarding stapling new covers to old books that allow for the use of their Universal label...

@CGC Mike

Some people can sub what they want. Then tell CGC what to do. Apparently.