• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 3:34 AM, Beige said:

Released at SDCC - yet already graded, encapsulated and on ebay

SDCC?  Thought they only showed up at C2E2. 

Regardless, the book came out last November. The guy stapled covers to them and submitted for grading.  They could easily have been back before C2E2. 

Not saying that's what happened but it could be. 

Maybe the only knock against CGC is the incorrect, faulty grading.   Not cutting lines. 

And would hate to think the grades were paid for again, like Bad Idea... and who knows who else. 

On 8/7/2022 at 8:51 PM, october said:

There are so many sad, gross things in this thread I don't know which sad, gross thing is the worst. 

This should be pinned. 

Shame Shame GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I know we aren’t all pretty but

On 8/8/2022 at 6:42 AM, october said:

They all just come across as loud, hyper, obnoxious douchepumps. I don't understand the appeal

I agree but we aren’t the target audience 

Bit of a twist on the classic Pump and Dump scam. Hype the umbrella with a hot product then short-sell it all to your inside-trading partners who Jack up the price after the closing bell. In other "markets" such "investors" and those who facilitate these manipulations go to prison.

In this market the only regulators are us. The only way to stop it is to stop paying silly money for manufactured "value". No 32pg comic book should sell off-the-rack for $75. Period.

Frankly tho, LCSs have been doing  something like this for forever, they sell all their copies of ASM-361 to speculators and favored regulars before they even put any out on the shelf. Plebs like me go home with a bunch of keys missing from our runs, that 3 months later are way out of our price range(but I'm not bitter about it at all).

On 8/8/2022 at 9:30 AM, manetteska said:

If no one "knew about" this variant before the craziness, why was everyone standing in line hours before opening and allegedly pre-ordering dozens of copies?

Seems like some people knew...

Did someone say no one knew about this? 

If so, that is definitely incorrect. 

On 8/8/2022 at 8:36 AM, Sigur Ros said:
On 8/8/2022 at 8:30 AM, manetteska said:

If no one "knew about" this variant before the craziness, why was everyone standing in line hours before opening and allegedly pre-ordering dozens of copies?

Seems like some people knew...

Did someone say no one knew about this? 

If so, that is definitely incorrect. 

At least one of the influencers claims no knowledge, though purchased a total of 75 copies for 9 different people. Another had a large post with commentary but it is now gone.

Even the guy in the video above (who I don't know, just watched the video on this topic) stood in line for quite a while to buy one for someone else and ended up spending $700 of his own money for some reason.

Edited by manetteska
clarity

On 8/8/2022 at 8:44 AM, toro said:

I watched a few minutes of Nerdy Girl's Whatnot sale last night.  She was getting attacked in there and was asking for mods to boot them out.  She did auction one of the books for $185. I'll usually watch her stream as I just laugh at how many people pay $50 or more for a $5 book from her.

From her Instagram 

8969A6F1-22E9-4A13-A114-F05B92037A24.png

F0868EDA-EA84-4795-91C2-F1BA664E8341.png

A497BE9F-EC8D-4F96-97EE-8D1414618E81.png

0B6A4648-0858-4676-B5AE-4704FF0135E1.png

D1138D9C-4944-4C19-98A6-281082B8A4AB.png

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 8/7/2022 at 5:23 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 8/7/2022 at 1:13 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Black Flag comics is the booth that sold the books. They should be the ones being ripped, not the buyers 

wnb.jpg.5bdb4e443df3d7b29fc60203442be194.jpg

let me elaborate on why i said what i did

if a seller is not going to put a cap on what can buy at their booth, why should i limit what i can purchase. this doesn't mean I condone cutting in line etc but how is that my fault

i wouldn't have purchase this book, i saw it, saw the line and thought the book is ugly and not worth it

the outrage of those who were not able to buy the book because other buyers took "too many", thats the fault of the seller. they could have limited (which I've seen many other do) the number of copys you can buy.

the cutting in line, giving pref treatment has been happening at cons since I've been going. I've seen others get crack at other books first, I've gotten books from dealers first. whether it's at a show, at their home or in their garage. That's business, and it happens all the time. But a publicly promoted book, limited to # of quantities is mostly always sold with a limit.

Now the greed of some of these buyers is not a good look agreed. No need to buy 75, and personally to me that's a poor business decision. Too many to have and they will not sell fast, and in the end it's a losing investment of time/money.

The variant craze is out of control. You can find #1's of one title or another with 20+ or even 30+ variants. Now, I will buy some variants for some artists, such as Maria Wolf, Michael Allred, or Francesco Francavilla. There is a lot of gorgeous work being done. But some of these con variants are just ... not good. Oh look, another AF 15 or Detective Comics #27 "homage" . And how many ASM #300 rip offs do we need? And people start asking $100.00 for them. You can find them here on the boards right now. Those covers aren't attractive or special. This is really pretentious to write, I know, but those aren't being bought by people with taste, but by speculators or deluded fanboys.

Edited by DavidTheDavid