• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 2:16 PM, Kon_Jelly said:

Can't believe I read the entire thread. I expected another response from CGC, but I'm guessing they're going to be radio silent about this moving forward. 

Which they don't have to do

But honestly, its the smartest thing to do right now

The absolute BEST thing they can do is issue a statement saying they are WRONG, and will strive to do better

So the 2 books to be sold by Black Flag in Boston...  are they "re-releases" with acetate also?  or are they new books that will only be released with Acetate?  Seeing as how the print runs for the acetate covers on these Boston Fan Expo books is only 350 compared to the 750 of UF4 at C2E2, it lends that these are left over copies from a previous print run also.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:10 PM, Atomic Ponkie said:

Huh? The Stray Dogs variant is legit though, not a bootleg. We aren't really pointing at CGC. It's more like they tried to let out a fart in class, except it ended up being loud and now we're all akwardly staring at them. 

lol this is a perfect and colorful analogy of what CGC did and how bad it stinks.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, TTony said:

So the 2 books to be sold by Black Flag in Boston...  are they "re-releases" with acetate also?  or are they new books that will only be released with Acetate?  Seeing as how the print runs for the acetate covers on these Boston Fan Expo books is only 350 compared to the 750 of UF4 at C2E2, it lends that these are left over copies from a previous print run also.

They appear to be leftover stock. One is Ghostrider 1 from early 2022 the other is Deadpool Nerdy 30 1 from 2021… CGC census shows the “Acetate Edition” copies: https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Ghost+Rider&issue=1&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=2022&issuedate=4/22

Edited by wiparker824

On 8/11/2022 at 2:33 PM, wiparker824 said:

They appear to be leftover stock. One is Ghostrider 1 from early 2022 the other is Deadpool 1 from 2021… CGC census shows the “Acetate Edition” copies: https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Ghost+Rider&issue=1&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=2022&issuedate=4/22

Pretty easy to see which ones:

image.png.ef85cc3767b9e22cc511e6b27f2d860a.png

None of the other versions/variants had ANY 9.9's or 10's.

-bc

On 8/11/2022 at 1:33 PM, wiparker824 said:

They appear to be leftover stock. One is Ghostrider 1 from early 2022 the other is Deadpool 1 from 2021… CGC census shows the “Acetate Edition” copies: https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Ghost+Rider&issue=1&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=2022&issuedate=4/22

Each of these has one 10.0, three 9.9s and six 9.8s ???

On 8/11/2022 at 12:34 PM, lostboys said:

Some dude with hot dog fingers stapled a cover on a comic and they're coming back 9.9 and 10?

No FINGER BENDS?

This is such BS.

I always knew some of my 9.8s should be 9.9s or 10s and now I'm 100% positive they should be.

I think I'm done with this game.

weenie-sausage.gif.ed1d734a882b7576226531ee421e6767.gif

On 8/11/2022 at 2:33 PM, wiparker824 said:

There are 29 different versions of that book listed on that census.

Twenty-nine.

This book was published in 2022?

How can that many variants exist?  Did everyone and their dog "special order" up their own exclusive versions from Marvel? 

I am just so confused.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:52 PM, Atomic Ponkie said:

We made it to 100 pages. Time to celebrate!

One page for each dollar spent on one copy of this Acetate book after they marked their original price up. 

On 8/11/2022 at 2:43 PM, Axelrod said:

There are 29 different versions of that book listed on that census.

Twenty-nine.

This book was published in 2022?

How can that many variants exist?  Did everyone and their dog "special order" up their own exclusive versions from Marvel? 

I am just so confused.

Think someone mentioned that each requires a print run of 3K or so, so that's 'bout 90K books "sold" by the publisher for one issue of one title.

Probably a nice little chunk of change for Marvel's bottom line.

-bc

On 8/11/2022 at 10:39 AM, Prince Namor said:

You didn't know? CGC protects those grades. Under-assigns them. Seriously. 

Except in an instance like this where its determined and agreed upon ahead of time for x amount of dollars.

I wonder if the day is coming when...

Modern (1975 - Present) · $24.

Fast Track: +$15 · 55 days.

Fast Track: 20 days ; Economy (Pre - 1975) · $35. Fast Track: +$15 · 228 days

9.9: $200

10.0: Tree Fiddy.

For moderns only - The Promise II Collection - pay us $500 and we promise you'll get a 10.0!

Isn't that the kind of stuff PGX used to be rumored to do...