• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 4:27 PM, FFB said:

This is 100% what they should do, and they should pull the existing graded books from the census and invalidate the serial numbers on those gift grades.  :applause:

Honestly though, if they just do this, then after the next shiny object floats by, people won't be talking about this any more.  

On to the next scandal!!!

On 8/11/2022 at 1:19 PM, billsid said:

What about CGC they can't get out of this scott free, as far as I'm concerned they're just as guilty here as BF or worse. They clearly were paid for grades which makes all my slabs grades a joke.

I am sure they are not very happy about this fiasco and the damage it has done to their reputation, as evidenced by this 100+ page thread on their own boards calling them out over it.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:51 PM, graffix13 said:

Every one of these clowns should put up an apology video, own their mistake, and ask for forgiveness for scalping us peasants. Hiding away and hoping this blows over just makes them look worse each passing day. OWN IT. 

Don't you know?

clown-inlivingcolor.gif.7d0be4ea811bee0ce9ab8037e4a2e9ac.gif

On 8/11/2022 at 3:24 PM, Gaard said:

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying this is a non issue?

No I'm clarifying as a recap of what the thread sounds like. Everyone is getting it out of their system with different views. To clarify my stance, which I haven't made yet, it is an issue.

This seems like every step leads to me to believe in the grand scheme of things, it's an odd no brainer.

So 103 pages later did it take 103 pages to surmise in one post what I stated? Definitely an issue, I'm wondering if cgc response is awaiting cool down. Or somehow I've missed it in this sea of pages where cgc had posted what three times?

Definitely an issue definitely a problem but has lost its luster imo

On 8/11/2022 at 12:51 PM, graffix13 said:

Any updates from Skeff, Nerdy Girl, Comic Tom, or Gem Mint? Funny how they all scurried away like cockroaches and have been relatively silent since. I used to watch some of their YouTube videos, but I won't give them the clicks anymore. Gem Mint even took down his video addressing this because he was getting roasted (rightfully so). That just makes him look worse. Every one of these clowns should put up an apology video, own their mistake, and ask for forgiveness for scalping us peasants. Hiding away and hoping this blows over just makes them look worse each passing day. OWN IT. 

I am sure the entire incident has been very upsetting for them - they'll be crying all the way to the bank.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:22 PM, AmazingComics413 said:

Hmmmmm. So that’s a ‘yes’ unless it gets reported?

37EAA8DF-8355-4861-BA0D-BB35214B41F0.thumb.png.49435c61e4b265302cf2931d25779f5f.png

Not sure why the people who run the con would care, or prohibit this.  That means they'd have to dig into all reporting and decide how bad the situation really is.  They should stay out of it. 

You can buy counterfeit Cerebus at cons. You can buy counterfeit TMNT at cons. You can buy other comics turned into art, etc. at cons. 

Why should the con single him out? 

Let Marvel decide if there's a problem or not.  If there is, they'll deal with it. 

I'd rather they stop the weapon sales.  Weapons that you can't get through security with... You can buy inside the cons, lol. 

On 8/11/2022 at 1:48 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I have seen enough “influencer” made-up BS that I question them buying 125 copies at par. I’m more apt to think they either bought them at a severe discount in exchange for IG hype or they were never purchased at all and it was staged. I simply don’t believe 80% of the influencer hype. It’s mostly fabricated marketing tactics.

My guess is they were given them FREE in exchange for IG hype. Pure market manipulation influencing.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:13 PM, Black_Adam said:

Hopefully there will be a boycott of their booth in Boston.

As much as we don't like what they've done.... They will sell out in minutes. 

They're very collectible now. 

We've all caused that. 

On 8/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, bc said:

So what we wind up with is a trifecta of stupidity:

• The store exclusive is a manufactured collectible
  • The acetate cover is a manufactured collectible on a manufactured collectible
  • The CGC slabbing is a manufactured collectible of a manufactured collectible of a manufactured collectible

:ohnoez:

-bc

How about CVA, which stickers a manufactured collectible on a manufactured collectible of a manufactured collectible of a manufactured collectible... :deadhorse:

CVA.jpg

On 8/11/2022 at 1:54 PM, Sigur Ros said:

As much as we don't like what they've done.... They will sell out in minutes. 

They're very collectible now. 

We've all caused that. 

That was my first instinct when I saw this thread, that the controversy would make these acetate variants even more chased after.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:27 PM, FFB said:
On 8/11/2022 at 2:56 PM, Red84 said:

I predict that CGC will announce that they will no longer grade these books due to Marvel's statement that they were unauthorized. The number of books is miniscule. The potential profit from grading these books is just as small. The pros are completely outweighed by the cons. It's really a no brainer.

This is 100% what they should do, and they should pull the existing graded books from the census and invalidate the serial numbers on those gift grades.  :applause:

Honestly though, if they just do this, then after the next shiny object floats by, people won't be talking about this any more.  

The frustrating thing is this is exactly what they were told they should do as early as Sunday, but they refused to do it then. I don't know why they haven't done it already. And I have a bad feeling that they may not do it ever.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

The frustrating thing is this is exactly what they were told they should do as early as Sunday, but they refused to do it then. I don't know why they haven't done it already. And I have a bad feeling that they may not do it ever.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one except for one thing - Marvel's response is the big wild card here.  If they send C&D letters to Black Flag AND CGC, it will remove CGC's discretion to just "do whatever they want" with the situation.  

On 8/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, MrBedrock said:

So is this the new mentality moving forward prompting more dealers, facilitators, venues and entities to repeat the incident by creating their own "variants" or is this a one off thing where it is a matter of CGC not backing off their initial mistake?

If they do not walk back on what they have done, I can see others imitate this to create some cheap variants to promote whatever floats their boat.