• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers who use the last auction sale to buy a book
1 1

88 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 10:44 AM, blazingbob said:

Could have been more if the winner had a higher maximum bid

But it didn't get a higher bid. The winning bidder might have paid more, true, but the auction ended at the point where no one else felt it was worth more than the last price.

(i'm ignoring the buyer drama part because I wasn't really following)

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, KirbyTown said:

But it didn't get a higher bid. The winning bidder might have paid more, true, but the auction ended at the point where no one else felt it was worth more than the last price.

Again,  missing the point.  If the buyer in front of me was bidding in the auction it would have ended higher.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:05 AM, blazingbob said:

Again,  missing the point.  If the buyer in front of me was bidding in the auction it would have ended higher.

Is the point that you'll sell it to them for one increment more? 🤷‍♂️

On 8/9/2022 at 11:10 AM, blazingbob said:

No

At what increment more would you be ok selling it? I understand that in theory two people who want a book could bid forever, and in theory every person who currently has interest in the book could have attended the auction; but the reality is what happened.

If you're frustrated with buyers and are just venting, I apologize for replying. You obviously have no obligation to do anything for anyone.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:13 PM, Motor City Rob said:

I'm assuming a buyer wouldn't use an all time high data point to negotiate a price. Trying to get some clarification from the OP.

Again,  buyer was presenting a auction result that literally just finished a day earlier.  I have no idea if it was a all time high.  I had priced my book on Thursday,  the auction result was on friday.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:15 AM, blazingbob said:

Again,  buyer was presenting a auction result that literally just finished a day earlier.  I have no idea if it was a all time high.  I had priced my book on Thursday,  the auction result was on friday.

My Dad owned a small business for years.  Occasionally, a customer would comment that the shop down the street has it for less.  His response was always the same “Well, then I would buy it there.”  I never saw anyone do that.

My favourite question to when they show me an auction result is:

Why didn't you buy that copy?

Answer is often along the lines of:
I didn't see it (well shocker maybe others didn't as well)
Because insert reason such as I didn't want to pay for shipping, insurance etc etc increasing the price further beyond the point
The movie announcement wasn't made until after the auction and it wasn't a book I needed until Disney told me I needed it.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:03 PM, blazingbob said:

I am referencing a situation where the auction result was literally a day earlier.  Pops up the auction result on the phone and presents it to me.

This is what you’re complaining about? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

how petty are you???

On 8/9/2022 at 12:15 PM, blazingbob said:

Now on to the only important question: Did the book have "White Pages"? That is all that counts.   :headbang:

Edited by MAR1979

This is carryover from the sports card market where cards, especially graded cards, are bought and sold at conventions based on recent online auction data, and the comps are almost used like a price ceiling and that if a card sold online for 1k, the dealer should be willing to take less than that because he isn't paying fees, shipping, etc. The idea that the price of something could be trending up is lost on one subset of buyers and willfully ignored by another.