• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC changes stance on MARRIED COVERS.
5 5

78 posts in this topic

The really unfortunate thing about all of this is that the controversy will make the book even more sought after by a certain group of collectors... especially if Marvel gets involved and condemns this in any way.

I have never heard of Black Flag Comics before this and will make sure I never deal with them.

I don't even collect Modern Marvel/Spiderman/Miles Morales and could care less about this book but this really irritates me.  

Lastly, I'd like to think my pursuit of CGC 9.8's is a worthwhile one, but if CGC is doing things like this with a book like this then what is the point?!

Edited by Iconic1s

I think cgc only way out of this mess for the people wondering about married covers is that put a acetate cover on but it should then be labelled variant cover… lol but yeah this is very interesting and controversial non the less. 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:51 AM, Barth said:

Am I correct in stating that if you replace the staples in a book, no married cover or pages it would be a green label or purple if you use "vintage" staples.

Actually I believe they updated their policy on this. If you use period correct staples and no other work has been done ( not added pages, married cover , etc ) then it could get a Conserved label.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Actually I believe they updated their policy on this. If you use period correct staples and no other work has been done ( not added pages, married cover , etc ) then it could get a Conserved label.

OK thanks... What about non period staples? 

On 8/9/2022 at 8:31 PM, jyoders19 said:

Like I said before, I don't know the mechanics of how they were graded or were but they WERE there graded and CGC had a booth, too, and nobody told them to take them down or not make a show of it or anything. On the contrary, CGC seemed to be liking the attention, too.

To me this is the most wild part of it all! When were these graded???? Does anyone know???? I assumed on site, but if they were graded ahead of time that is nuts! How any of these got blue labels and especially 9.9 and 10’s is straight BANANAS!!!! Something fishy in here!

On 8/10/2022 at 1:20 PM, SpideyFein said:

To me this is the most wild part of it all! When were these graded???? Does anyone know???? I assumed on site, but if they were graded ahead of time that is nuts! How any of these got blue labels and especially 9.9 and 10’s is straight BANANAS!!!! Something fishy in here!

They were graded 7/28.  A week before the show.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:16 PM, Barth said:

OK thanks... What about non period staples? 

Pretty sure that would get Purple (Restored) they use to state on label (Staples Replaced) although now I believe they changed that where it no longer says it on the label, but may/may not state it in the graders notes.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:20 PM, SpideyFein said:

Something fishy in here!

Super-Fishy!  Feels like the skids were greased up a bit before the show to make these 9.9's and 10's happen to use them as a publicity stunt.  This calls into question the integrity of the grading process itself.  Crazy that CGC seems to be willing to ruin their credibility over a stupid bootleg acetate cover.  This is depressing!

On 8/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, Iconic1s said:

Super-Fishy!  Feels like the skids were greased up a bit before the show to make these 9.9's and 10's happen to use them as a publicity stunt.  This calls into question the integrity of the grading process itself.  Crazy that CGC seems to be willing to ruin their credibility over a stupid bootleg acetate cover.  This is depressing!

The book was also #2 on the ‘Hot Books’ spec list prior to release.  

Influencers gonna influence :insane:

On 8/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, Iceman399 said:

...bumping this so we as a community can get answers to CGC's new stance on adding covers to older books.

I think we already know the answer.  The average joe would not be able to do this same thing and get a blue label.  Just like they wouldn't have been able to submit a clear piece of plastic and get it graded as an "invisible" comic.

In these cases, the old adage applies.......Money talks, and Bulls**t walks gets graded.

Perhaps it's time to update this.

impartial.jpg.5498714ce32102092dbb69dc89d19b59.jpg

On 8/10/2022 at 1:13 PM, mattn792 said:
On 8/10/2022 at 9:12 AM, Mike's Rack said:

I gave Larry Fink a call. He’s been following the thread in CG and said making this right is his #1 priority.

Why are you bothering BlackRock at all?  

he's being facetious I think.  I mistakenly said people should call Blackrock, though I should have said Blackstone (the owners of CGC).  Blackrock of course used to be owned by Blackstone.

But they can call Larry Fink too, I don't mind.

What a sad state this is,,,,,,,, the hobby and CGC are deluged with modern variant drek to the point of septic tank overflow,,,,,,,, the point of grading has been seriously devalued in my eyes and I doubt I will use the service ever again. I will enjoy my books and keep them in their mylar,,,and I will attach whatever grade suits me at the time,,,,,,, why not!?