• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC changes stance on MARRIED COVERS.
5 5

78 posts in this topic

I hope it doesn't get locked.  I'm genuinely interested in what their new policy is.  It's hectic in the other thread as there are other issues surrounding the book that started this (Marvel infringement, 10.0/9.9 grades etc).  So want to see exactly what CGC stance is on the above so that everyone is playing on a level playing field.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:59 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I once made a joke in here about CGC doing something I thought was so far beyond stupid.....that they would never actually do it.

It was about people taking those "Master of the Universe" and "New Teen Titans" inserts out of the middle of comic books (like DC Presents #26)......and sending just the insert to CGC to be graded.  It was just a sarcastic joke on my part.  But as someone pointed out to me soon afterwards.....I wasn't being funny.....I was just being wrong.

It was at that point I realized CGC doesn't care about this hobby.....or the integrity of the job they're doing.  I believe they once did years ago, and I used to defend them vigorously.  

Now, you can literally yank part of the inner guts out of a comic book.....send it in with no cover on it.....and get a high grade, blue label CGC slab returned to you.  So, nothing they do surprises me any more. :boo:

MOU.thumb.jpg.4ada80ca7e6b048a37f8b362b02abbb6.jpg

Wait so they grade that, but this gets a NG? 

0902221300011.jpg

Edited by deadleg

I have a feeling and I'm not hooked on it @valiantman

Is it possible?

is it possible that submitters aren't finding the book they're looking for populating when filling out submission forms?

and they're just using the " submit 'new' comic' functions" and it is slipping by QC?  @CGC Mike this might be a double check question so I'll post in QC thread too.

and who cares about the the grade of the original book, as long as the acetaint looks sweet you can get a 9.9 or even a 10.0! Unless the 9.9s were 10.0s in original form and adding the acetaint knocked them down a little. The current 10.0s must have been 11.0s. hm

this is a good reference for anyone that doesn't want to read the 40+ pages of the c2e2 thread

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-did-not-approve-ultimate-fallout-4-acetate-covers-at-c2e2/

This really is ridiculous. There's NO WAY this thing should have ever qualified for a blue label. It's like a custom toy that they paint a few of at a show as a giveaway. Leaving aside the fact that they were giving shortboxes of these away to influencers, CGC gave out 9.9s and at least one 10 at the show for a comic with four staples! Before, that got you knocked down to at least 7.0. CGC needs to invalidate these grades, period.

P.S. Please don't zwissler my post, admins/mods.  This is SUPPOSED to be where we're allowed to talk about this travesty.

On 8/9/2022 at 6:27 PM, Aqua Lantern said:

This was not done via CGC on-site grading.

I'm looking at a picture, dude. This is a screenshot from a youtube video and, I'm not sure exactly how it happened or how these got graded but people were showing off this 9.9. I was at the show. I  saw this myself. The only reason I'm using the youtube screenshot is because I didn't think I'd ever need evidence of what they were clearly using as marketing at their booth.

blackflagcomicsBS.jpg

So, according to CGC, adding two staples and a new cover to a book is not damaging the book because that's part of the "variant" production process.

Ok... so adding two staples and HALF of a new cover to a book is also not damaging the book because that's part of that particular "variant's" production process.

And so then.... adding two staples and a QUARTER of a new cover to a book is not damaging the book because that's part of that particular "variant's" production process.

And so then.... adding two staples and NO new cover to a book is not damaging the book because that's part of that particular "variant's" production process.

And so then adding two staples and tearing half the original cover off a book is not damaging the book because that's part of THAT particular "variant's" production process.

In that case, ANY damage done to a book can be argued to be part of that unique "variant's" production process.