• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealer with raws who can actually grade
1 1

37 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2022 at 3:50 PM, jjfversion1 said:

There's no way this copy of MSHSW #1 is a 9.8 as listed. I would say you just got lucky

Agree.

On 8/13/2022 at 3:56 PM, kav said:

lol 

Screenshot 2022-08-13 1.55.27 PM.png

*SOLID 9.8 NM BEAUTIFUL COPY*

--plz look very close at the pics!! im NOT a PROFESSIONAL grader!! its all by my own judgemint and u an i both noe that attempting to establish any reliable theory of material assessment is essentially impossible without knowledge of the changing sense ratios affected by various externalizations of our senses. am i rite?

Edited by KirbyTown
more appropriate in this thread maybe

On 8/13/2022 at 4:50 PM, jjfversion1 said:

This whole thread smells very shilly to me.

Does anyone else think the seller might have made a CGC sock puppet account to promote his eBay store and instead of promoting his store, he probably burned his CGC account? It seems like bad form to cite two recently graded books as the reason he trusts the seller without actually posting pics of the books.

The ebay store that OP promoted seems to break every convention of good dealing. Over-grading (saying anything is a 9.9 is ridiculous), filtering images, arguing with customers and (quite possibly) using fake accounts to promote himself. Honestly, the way he answered his negative feedback is more than enough to keep me away from ever purchasing from him.

image.thumb.png.bc75c3105f05136ce5a4abcddd60b7f6.png

Edited by Sam T

On 8/14/2022 at 6:22 PM, Sam T said:

Does anyone else think the seller might have made a CGC sock puppet account to promote his eBay store and instead of promoting his store, he probably burned his CGC account? It seems like bad form to cite two recently graded books as the reason he trusts the seller without actually posting pics of the books.

The ebay store that OP promoted seems to break every convention of good dealing. Over-grading (saying anything is a 9.9 is ridiculous), filtering images, arguing with customers and (quite possibly) using fake accounts to promote himself. Honestly, the way he answered his negative feedback is more than enough to keep me away from ever purchasing from him.

image.thumb.png.bc75c3105f05136ce5a4abcddd60b7f6.png

wouldnt be the first time.  OP: thoughts? 

@Spideyham

On 8/13/2022 at 9:00 AM, Cat said:

I don't like to brag, but I came in last on the recent CGC Grading Contest. There was no disputing that spot, nosirree. 

You just got lucky - I didn't do the most recent contest.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:23 PM, ttfitz said:
On 8/13/2022 at 8:00 AM, Cat said:

I don't like to brag, but I came in last on the recent CGC Grading Contest. There was no disputing that spot, nosirree. 

You just got lucky - I didn't do the most recent contest.

Coming again in October, opportunities!

I rarely ever buy anything raw.  When I do, I don't usually care about the condition of the book. I am just buying it to enjoy.  Got burnt too many times in the early ebay days and pre-ebay days.  Some of my pre-ebay buys were great.  Some of my VG/Fs I sent to CGC and received 9.0 to 9.6 on them.  Sent an FF #4 to PGX(CGG then and it came back as color touched) now I look at my FF #5 and can see come color touch.:tonofbricks:

On 8/16/2022 at 3:26 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Coming again in October, opportunities!

I'll be defending my spot. Taking on all newcomers. 

On 8/16/2022 at 7:33 AM, Bookery said:

Agree.  My highest grade is also NM (priced as a 9.4).  If I'm dead-set on getting a 9.6 or 9.8 value, then the onus is on me to get it slabbed.  Being old, and dealing in other paper products such as movie posters, pulps, rare books, vintage paperbacks... grades such as 9.6 and 9.8 don't really exist in those and likely wouldn't be accepted by collectors anyway.  I've always viewed grades 9.6 and above as kind of a proprietary thing created by/for grading companies (esp. when it comes to paper products).  I have no problem with those who want to collect them... but personally I feel they are a form of manufactured collectible, and a vehicle designed solely for bragging rights.

Absolutely! 9.6 and 9.8 serve so many manufactured purposes and are ideal for chasing/failing (it's an arbitrary application, so pay us for the chance to see where the dice land; aw, no luck? why not buy another ticket?) and the PP contest (gotta be the "whatever-est"). The lack of the big white number box is one reason kids refuse to buy cOmPeTiToR. If there is some legitimate application, it would seem more appropriate for paper produced on and after the time of CGC's creation.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, Bookery said:

Agree.  My highest grade is also NM (priced as a 9.4).  If I'm dead-set on getting a 9.6 or 9.8 value, then the onus is on me to get it slabbed.  Being old, and dealing in other paper products such as movie posters, pulps, rare books, vintage paperbacks... grades such as 9.6 and 9.8 don't really exist in those and likely wouldn't be accepted by collectors anyway.  I've always viewed grades 9.6 and above as kind of a proprietary thing created by/for grading companies (esp. when it comes to paper products).  I have no problem with those who want to collect them... but personally I feel they are a form of manufactured collectible, and a vehicle designed solely for bragging rights.

Having purchased items from you in the past, I'd say you could include yourself in that list of dealers who know how to grade accurately...   (thumbsu 

Sorry for the late response everyone, I travel overseas frequently with my company.  So I received my first CGC submission which included 3 comics from this dealer, overall happy.  They were Hero for Hire #1)Listed as a Hilltop 9.2 White Pages, it came in at CGC 9.4 White Pages.2) Marvel Premiere #1 NM 9.4 Hilltop came in at a CGC 9.4 White Pages, and this one made me really happy, Conan #1 9.2 Hilltop, after a press and clean it came in at CGC 9.6 White Pages.  I also got back 5 comics which I purchased from J&S Comics, 4 came back as he graded, 1 came in 1 grade lower.   I will now try some of the dealers mentioned on this thread and submit them and see what results I get back and report back here when they arrive, sending them in fast track.  Till then, chow.