• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Biggest Collecting Goal You Have Achieved (and How Long Did It Take)?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

The biggest collecting goal I have achieved is proving everybody wrong who told me I was foolish to spend my money on comics and comic book art. I decided recently I would sell some art and see how I did and it turned out really well. I was able to make all the money I had ever spent on art. Proving all those people wrong is the biggest incentive I can ever get out of my collecting habits. I must say it sometimes is tough deciding to sell but once a big wad of money is in your hands, man that feels good! Of course I just turned around and bought more art with the money earned, lol.

Edited by timguerrero

On 8/16/2022 at 6:59 PM, Brian Peck said:
Adventures Comic Art Collecting
Many know I am a big Jean Grey collector so when X-Men #30 Wedding of Jean Grey and Scott Summer by Andy Kubert and Matt Ryan which came out in 1994. I was on the hunt for the artwork. Originally finding the wraparound cover from SpiderWebArt Gallery. The interiors for the wedding issue was tougher, the penciler Andy almost never sold his art and never had seen any interior art on the market.
I found Spencer Beck an art rep was helping Andy sell some art so I inquired about the wedding issue. Spencer informed me Andy would sell his part and Spencer has contacted the inker Matt Ryan and he agreed to sell me the pages he owned. After paying alot for all the pages, I discovered 3 pages were missing. Andy never sold and of his art and neither had Matt… a mystery. This was back in 2000, 6 years after the book was printed.
Fast forward 6 more years…… and I get an email from Spencer Beck wanting me to call him. I called and he told me a story.
The staff at the Joe Kubert School of Art were cleaning out the basement of the school, I think they were renovating it. They found a rusted out old desk belonging to Andy Kubert. Andy said just to throw it out since it was useless but when they started to dismantle it to move it they found.......
a ton of original art by Andy including 50 plus covers..........
an envelope containing three pages from..............
X-Men #30
Andy mentioned this to Spencer who remembered someone was trying to put the book back together. He then contacted me.
With Spencer's help I was able to do a deal with Andy for the three remaining pages ........ 10, 18 and 30. I was able to complete my quest for the all original artwork for X-Men #30, 12 years after it was released.
All the pages are in my CAF gallery:  https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=33576

image.thumb.jpeg.c85cdc31dc4b73e05a570e34baef7906.jpeg

Great story. Not sure why you had to pay for the last 3 pages. Seems to me they should have been included as part of the original deal and just given to you.

My big goal is to get an example from every penciler who did at least three consecutive issues on the main X-men title. I’ve been trying to accomplish this for about two and a half years now… I’m still not finished but I’ve made a big dent. I’m expecting to check a LARGE box of the end of this month and should be down to only a couple more at that point:

if you want to see my progress here you go!

On 8/16/2022 at 8:10 AM, kbmcvay said:

What is the biggest long-term goal you have achieved in your collection? Also how long did it take you to realize it?

I may be the wrong guy to ask. I won my favorite piece the first time I tried to buy one - favorite artist on favorite character.

Here it is (click for a bigger picture):
image.thumb.png.643798cbae5f0562ab3e9edeb3959ffb.png

That was in 2005. In the same auction, I lost out on the page the I wanted as my Swan alternative (I figured the Swan would go higher). I was wrong. The Swan was most affordable and my backup went for much more. What was it? It was a one-page published Sugar and Spike story. S&S was a brilliant book by Sheldon Mayer, the man that got Superman in Action Comics, the man that formed the JSA and most of the characters in it, the man that did 98 issues - story, cover, art, editing - of S&S. I was sad.

Seventeen years later, I got one. :) (click for a bigger picture)
image.thumb.png.2b5f652f6139915edfad4c5fe270e9d5.png

On 8/16/2022 at 4:59 PM, Brian Peck said:
Adventures Comic Art Collecting
Many know I am a big Jean Grey collector so when X-Men #30 Wedding of Jean Grey and Scott Summer by Andy Kubert and Matt Ryan which came out in 1994. I was on the hunt for the artwork. Originally finding the wraparound cover from SpiderWebArt Gallery. The interiors for the wedding issue was tougher, the penciler Andy almost never sold his art and never had seen any interior art on the market.
I found Spencer Beck an art rep was helping Andy sell some art so I inquired about the wedding issue. Spencer informed me Andy would sell his part and Spencer has contacted the inker Matt Ryan and he agreed to sell me the pages he owned. After paying alot for all the pages, I discovered 3 pages were missing. Andy never sold and of his art and neither had Matt… a mystery. This was back in 2000, 6 years after the book was printed.
Fast forward 6 more years…… and I get an email from Spencer Beck wanting me to call him. I called and he told me a story.
The staff at the Joe Kubert School of Art were cleaning out the basement of the school, I think they were renovating it. They found a rusted out old desk belonging to Andy Kubert. Andy said just to throw it out since it was useless but when they started to dismantle it to move it they found.......
a ton of original art by Andy including 50 plus covers..........
an envelope containing three pages from..............
X-Men #30
Andy mentioned this to Spencer who remembered someone was trying to put the book back together. He then contacted me.
With Spencer's help I was able to do a deal with Andy for the three remaining pages ........ 10, 18 and 30. I was able to complete my quest for the all original artwork for X-Men #30, 12 years after it was released.
All the pages are in my CAF gallery:  https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=33576

image.thumb.jpeg.c85cdc31dc4b73e05a570e34baef7906.jpeg

That is awesome and amazing those pages found their way to you. Very cool story.

I don’t have a “collecting goal” per se as I am a very small fish in a very large sea.  I can’t say “I’m going to own an Art Adams X-Men page” or a “I’m going to own a Ditko Spider-Man page” because I don’t have the funds necessary for such a purchase and most likely never will.  I just have more of a generality: I’d like to purchase awesome splashy villain art…maybe an original Garage Pail Kid card art painting and a Fighting Fantasy gamebook interior illustration.  Oh, and maybe certain Cracked Magazine Interiors or covers.

Have I realized it yet?  To an extent, but I could always use more (except for the GPK, Fighting Fantasy and Cracked Magazine art of which I have none at the moment)…

On 8/17/2022 at 5:04 PM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

I don’t have a “collecting goal” per se as I am a very small fish in a very large sea.  I can’t say “I’m going to own an Art Adams X-Men page” or a “I’m going to own a Ditko Spider-Man page” because I don’t have the funds necessary for such a purchase and most likely never will.  I just have more of a generality: I’d like to purchase awesome splashy villain art…maybe an original Garage Pail Kid card art painting and a Fighting Fantasy gamebook interior illustration.  Oh, and maybe certain Cracked Magazine Interiors or covers.

Have I realized it yet?  To an extent, but I could always use more (except for the GPK, Fighting Fantasy and Cracked Magazine art of which I have none at the moment)…

There are no small fish. If you love what you buy, that’s all that matters.
Frankly, I couldn’t care less about owning an Art Adams X-Men page. Now, if he did a Phantom Stranger page, then you’re talking. 

Splashy villain art should be easier than hero art.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, zhamlau said:

I have about 5 covers I really want. I probably could punt the rest and just have those and be happy. About 3 years ago, after decades of looking, cover 1 showed up at 1am on eBay BIN. 

I know where two is (missed it by an hour) and I just found 5 but he wants what I think is double high market and I’m just not there yet.

Knowing (where) IS half the battle.

Mine are modest within the scope of the hobby. Goals achieved: 

Art Adams: Asgard page

Neal Adams: Green Arrow illustration

Chris Bachalo illustration

Jeremy Bastian: Cursed Pirate Girl page

Sal Buscema: ROM page

John Byrne: Fantastic Four page

John Cassaday: Astonishing X-Men page

Alan Davis page

Jim Davis: early Garfield

Will Eisner page