• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could complain…

5 posts in this topic

So there are always little nitpicks that always come up, especially signature series collections… probably because these are so niche! 

Now, even though we all know nothing is going to change, but what are some of your annoyances when you are looking to buy, or when you find signature series books?

I’ll give a few of mine for topic examples: 

I HATE when books have multiple coloured signatures on the book. I want those signature colors coordinated! If someone signs in black, then why on earth does the next guy in line sign it in silver??

If I had to pick my favourite colors for books, it would be Bronze, Gold, Silver sometimes, and a fun color like Blue Red or Green depending on the book. Black sharpie isn’t a big fan favourite of mine. I do not like ‘Sharpie Blue’. Of all colors, I hate that one the most… 

I can go on but I’d love to hear some others’ gripes with SS

Placement, placement, placement. Signature placement makes all the difference in the world. My 100% biggest gripe is when I window a book and it is removed from the bag for a signing. I get it the creator/writer likes a certain place but I've researched examplars and know what their signature looks like and where I want it.

While pen color is an annoyance for me as well, the celebrities signature is my top pet peeve.

I detest scribbles or first name signatures. You have a last name, sign that! 

Whether you are Charisma Carpenter, Brie Larson or Lupita N'Yongo, I am paying for a complete name!

I dated a Charisma once, did she sign it? Brie could be someone naming off their favorite cheese on my book.

And what is that Howard Chaykin? A half of a first letter of the first initial of your first name?

I too research the signature ahead of time and I will pass on ownership of a signature if that's the nonsense you want to give me.

My opinion, everyone else will have theirs :)

- Not a fan of Hollywood celebrity sigs on comic books. Fine on magazines but not comics. There are subjective exceptions and that comes based on my personal preference like Ferrigno or Campbell.

- Agree on different colored pen ink on multi sigs, although you may get lucky sometimes depending on the cover art and sig placement.

- Fading ink. I hate to be the 200th book signed from a single marker.

- Smudged sigs - I have a Herb Trimpe sig that was likely stacked on over while it was wet

- Artists that never had anything to do with the book. A subjective topic since you can make exceptions like Romita Sr or Stan Lee, so my opinion on it may change as artists eventually become "legends".

- Ugly remarques, lots of examples with Bagley. Some of them are just improperly placed doodles. I would prefer a proper sketch on a blank cover or a simple sig.

- Sigs on the inside pages, what's the point? Back cover may be acceptable but would rather have them in front.

Edited by bobotski

On 8/20/2022 at 11:21 AM, thesink said:

Placement, placement, placement. Signature placement makes all the difference in the world. My 100% biggest gripe is when I window a book and it is removed from the bag for a signing. I get it the creator/writer likes a certain place but I've researched examplars and know what their signature looks like and where I want it.

This is my biggest pet peeve and lead me to start this thread...

The worst offense is to sign a book in black sharpie on a black (or dark colored) part of the cover.

Edited by s-man