• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any well-known creators still alive that did comics in the forties or early fifties?

47 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2022 at 6:15 AM, Robot Man said:

(worship) You know, even though he was just a little kid when ECs came out, I almost consider Stout an honorary EC artist…

He is about as close to it as anybody who didn't work on them can be. 

He did do this, I have to give at least half credit for working on a Kurtzman edited issue of Two-Fisted Tales... even if Dark Horse was the actual publisher, licencing the EC name:

Two_Fisted_Tales_New_2.thumb.jpg.11a0d6e38ffe80de721970eae17f22e6.jpg

On 8/22/2022 at 11:15 PM, Robot Man said:

My favorite of all time was the EC panels in 2000. I didn’t usually go to a whole lot of them but that weekend, I spent more time chasing down the EC folks than shopping.

Meeting GA creators and getting books signed was always a high point at SDCC. They were always all over Artist’s Alley and very accesssble. I got to meet virtually everyone I wanted to. No cost, no CGC whitenesses and no hassle. 

Something I'd forgotten Bob is the electric railway at the Tokyo Disney Sea resort sports a logo inspired by (copied from) the old EC comics logo. I'm sure there aren't too many guests who make the connection! And the end of this line is right next to the only Scrooge McDuck themed shop in the Disney empire! I love that.

image.thumb.png.5b29b35c5903cd5ccce392f401dd348a.png

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 8/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, Dick Pontoon said:

Vic Carrabotta! 93 and still doing shows! (worship)

https://viccarrabotta.com/

Oops! Terry already cited him. I enjoy his PCH work a lot, so he's worth mentioning again.

I also enjoy his PCH work. He’s actively attending shows in the Carolina’s so I had him draw the Shadow in my sketchbook. 

7ADF681E-96EC-4298-88E6-20A633A83841.jpeg

On 8/22/2022 at 5:16 PM, jpepx78 said:

Yankee Stadium July 4 1939

Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day where Gehrig says farewell to baseball with his "Luckiest Man" speech.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july-4-1939-lou-gehrig-appreciation-day-ruth-and-gehrig-end-feud/

One of the most monumental days in baseball history.

No surprise Julie Schwartz was there.

If I had a time machine, I’d be there in a heartbeat.

Edited by MusterMark

On 8/21/2022 at 10:29 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I was trying to think of any males who might still be alive! Al Jaffe is the only one I could think of. He's still kicking and is 101.

The list keeps getting shorter.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/entertainment/2023/04/10/al-jaffee-longtime-mad-magazine-cartoonist-dead-at-102/

On 8/23/2022 at 7:58 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Something I'd forgotten Bob is the electric railway at the Tokyo Disney Sea resort sports a logo inspired by (copied from) the old EC comics logo. I'm sure there aren't too many guests who make the connection! And the end of this line is right next to the only Scrooge McDuck themed shop in the Disney empire! I love that.

I always assumed the EC logo was a copy of the DC 1940s bullet, but I also thought that those logos were copied from railroads who used round logos because of the engines:

5b8d4474a12c68950b77c9469326cd0b.png

On 4/13/2023 at 5:45 AM, sfcityduck said:

I always assumed the EC logo was a copy of the DC 1940s bullet, but I also thought that those logos were copied from railroads who used round logos because of the engines:

5b8d4474a12c68950b77c9469326cd0b.png

Very likely; I wonder if the Southern had a train that ran up into Pennsylvania Station. That's where they would have seen the logo or in ads in the papers. My brother and I were train buffs and one day in either the late sixties or early seventies we went down into the lower tracks of Grand Central and got to see a big New Haven Engine pull out of there. The New Haven line had a great orange and white color scheme on their engines. Besides the majesty of that engine's style I remember the tremendous clouds of billowing black diesel exhaust it spewed as the engine moved out!! Cough cough!

I was also lucky enough to ride behind the glorious GG1 engine when I would head home from college on weekends. It was the end of the line for that engine from the early 1930's a masterpiece of design.