• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking a PGX
5 5

20 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2022 at 6:24 PM, mizkid202285 said:

I just started collecting graded comics and I was wondering if I should Crack a PGX 10 and have it graded by CGC ? And do I have to Crack it myself or can I ship it to CGC and let them do It so I do not damage it? Thanks.

Should you is absolutely “it depends”

the book, how it looks, your financial situation, your collection goals, your own personal knowledge of grading

Should you? Right now, I would give you more reasons not to, but the decision is yours. If you do decide to crossover, I would suggest cracking it yourself. It will be safer to ship in secure bag/board than to expose it to potential SCS or other handling issues if it remains in the slab during transit and while in CGC's possession.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:24 PM, mizkid202285 said:

I just started collecting graded comics and I was wondering if I should Crack a PGX 10 and have it graded by CGC ? And do I have to Crack it myself or can I ship it to CGC and let them do It so I do not damage it? Thanks.

Can you post high quality pics of front and back please? Really want to see this PGX 10!!

Since this is a PGX 10, I'm guessing it's a Modern book, and probably a fairly recent one at that. For older books, especially GA/SA material, I always recommend de-slabbing PGX products prior to doing anything else with them, because they've never had a strong track record for page checks and the like. Regardless...

If you plan to resell the book, do some market research first -- and assume that your PGX 10 would be a CGC 9.6 or 9.8, unless there are visible defects that would suggest a lower grade. Just come to terms with the near certainty that it will not be a CGC 9.9 or 10. Depending on the book, crossover grading may or may not be financially viable. For some books, you may have the best luck selling them raw. Even for 10 labels, there's a pretty small constellation of titles where the PGX slab is a value-add; most people recognize that their grading is simply not reliable.

If you plan to keep it in your personal collection, much of that still applies, although the factors that determine whether it's "worth" slabbing at CGC may be different. I know I have quite a few CGC slabs in my PC that are not, financially, worth the cost of encapsulation. But that's not why I did it. Other than that, I personally wouldn't want one of their slabs in my collection, so I'd rather deslab than keep a comic in that state.

If you opt to crossgrade, I'm neutral about whether to deslab yourself or let CGC do it. There are risks of damage either way.

I've owned a couple of PGX slabs and  mostly cracked them out. I was trying to put together a run of Golden Age Wonder Man appearences and could only find them in PGX slabs. First I opened was a 1.5 and I thought it was harshly graded. Another was a 3.0 that I thought was accurate.  Third was a Crestwood comic I thought was overgraded as a 2.5

I think the only other ones I have are a couple of Whitman/DCs I bought for far less than the cost of grading. I think I paid $18 for three of them.

I'd be curious enough about a PGX 10 that I'd be tempted to buy it, as long as it was under $25 or so.

I normally would not post another company's graded comic since I always buy and grade CGC only. However, I could not pass up this opportunity to buy a "10" from PGX for the price offered - whom I've never graded or bought a comic from before. Based on the conversations here, I thought it would be okay to post this pic.

I received this today and after careful and thoughtful consideration after thoroughly inspecting this comic, I think CGC would grade this a 9.8 - maybe 9.9 at best though realistically, based on having more than 500 comics graded through CGC in the last two years (with one graded a 10 and three graded a 9.9), I believe this is a realistic assertation or "guesstimate". 

The question is, do I sell this at some point for a lower premium as designated with the PGX grade, or risk a most likely 9.8 worst case scenario through CGC? I'm fairly confident based upon my experience that 9.8 is the grade at best if resubmitted through CGC. Though we all know the outlier consideration for a more "objective" grader exists sometimes...

(shrug)

No doubt that a CGC 10 designation would be monumentally huge for this particular comic, so worth a discussion to some degree IMO. Thanks for your insight in advance my friends!

@Funnybooks @Galen130 @onlyweaknesskryptonite @Pitboss @CGC Mike

...and a number of others here with vast grading experiences.

SupPink2022.jpg

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

:hi:

any other pics? bc, spine, corners etc?
modern foils seem to come off the press at 9.8 so I would not be surprised at a 9.9/10.0 however, consider this p g ex source

I also would also suspect a buyer would expect a discount to grade from this company and the other voldy company

Edited by Funnybooks

On 1/4/2023 at 7:00 AM, Funnybooks said:

:hi:

any other pics? bc, spine, corners etc?
modern foils seem to come off the press at 9.8 so I would not be surprised at a 9.9/10.0 however, consider this p g ex source

I also would also suspect a buyer would expect a discount to grade from this company and the other voldy company

Don't say other slabs sell at a discount to CGC slabs.  Say that CGC slabs command a premium over other companies. 

Originally posted by @zzutak

"The rarity of CGC 9.9s and 10.0s varies by publication date/decade:

• For 2020-29:  1 in 117 (0.85%)
  • For 2010-19:  1 in 99 (1.01%)
  • For 2000-09:  1 in 112 (0.90%)
  • For 1990-99:  1 in 462 (0.22%)   
  • For 1980-89:  1 in 1188 (0.08%) 
  • For 1970-79:  1 in 4621 (0.02%)
  • For 1960-69:  1 in 31,500 (0.003%) "

I would not bet the farm that this PGX 10 is be a CGC 10.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:58 AM, Gaard said:

Originally posted by @zzutak

"The rarity of CGC 9.9s and 10.0s varies by publication date/decade:

• For 2020-29:  1 in 117 (0.85%)
  • For 2010-19:  1 in 99 (1.01%)
  • For 2000-09:  1 in 112 (0.90%)
  • For 1990-99:  1 in 462 (0.22%)   
  • For 1980-89:  1 in 1188 (0.08%) 
  • For 1970-79:  1 in 4621 (0.02%)
  • For 1960-69:  1 in 31,500 (0.003%) "

I would not bet the farm that this PGX 10 is be a CGC 10.

I would love to see those BA and SA 10s!