• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2022 - October 6th - 9th - Javits Center - New York, NY.
3 3

78 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2022 at 7:40 PM, cms1 said:

Zapp was supposed to do the show, but got screwed out of their normal setup.  I kinda of get the impression that regular comic vendors will soon be gone and there will only be the guys that sell the exclusive books.

My take was that there were too many vendors selling second rate eBay fodder, junkyard flea market stuff and not enough exhibitors.  When I go to comic con I want to see more people presenting new and interesting items and not people selling the stuff that I can find on a table next to knock off Prada bags in Times Square. 

There were definitly fewer dealers and not as many large long box dealers as in the past. I was able to knock out all my comic shopping by 6pm friday after being there all day thirsday as well. In years past i wouldnt be done hitting all dealers until midday saturday.

I spent more on exclusives than i did in years past which shows where that trend is going. I only have 4 more years of buying exclusives and variants before im out of that game altogether.

Thanks for the sunday report @MisterX

I wanted to stay for deals but i was tired and had no more room left for my purchases in my bags by friday.

This show is evolving and may be due to the high booth prices. A mid aisle booth was going for around $4k.  A large corner booth cost around $7k. Flights and hotels for the weekend add another $3-4k. Dealers have to be bringing in $7-$11k in profit just to break even. I can see where lots of dealers snag exclusives and signings for resale to help offset the cost. And why exclusives with high profit margins are more prevalent to help defray costs. I only heard of a few large purchases.  $30k SA book, a few large deals, but wonder if the margin was enough to make the show profitable. How many dealers just eat it and consider it advertising for collectors.

I only spent around around $2000 (vs way more in prior years) at this show mainly due to high prices and limited space in my bags. About $450 on graded books and the rest on raws at a combined 9 dealers. 

On 10/13/2022 at 4:31 PM, AustinReece_GRRC said:

Obviously our viewpoint is completely different as a dealer but this was one of our best shows of the year. I'm sure it's no coincidence that we did great in a year that Dale, Ted, Zapp, etc. weren't there, but we also took the time to reorganize our entire show stock and reload with about 2,000 new raw books and 250+ new slabs.

Our busiest days were Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, though I heard other dealers had a great Thursday. It seemed to us that a lot of the guys looking for higher dollar items wanted to do their due diligence and walk the floor before making a decision, and in this market I don't blame them. We sold about 10-15 wall books throughout the weekend but I was most surprised by the amount of raws that we sold. We priced out tons of $100-$250 raw books to put in our boxes (x-men #9 and up, Avengers #10 and up, ASM #20 and up, etc) and a lot of those were selling very quickly. 

Buying for us was way down since we aren't paying as strong as what we were during the COVID years. All in all, it seemed that if your books were priced at current value (and I mean very current), there were a lot of people looking to buy. However, if you were priced from 12, 6, or even 3 months ago, I can see why you may not have had a great show. As Foolkiller said, I think some of these smaller one day shows may start to work their way onto more dealers schedules. I know we are doing Collector's Summit, Little Giant Show, and hopefully Torpedo Con if they run it again. I've said before I don't need 200,000 people in a room for a great show, just the right 200 people. 

And yes, load in/load out was terrible, Reed has GOT to figure out a way to make that easier on us. Not to mention, the place was so crowded that the internet was unreliable for 80% of the entire show, meaning we couldn't look up GPA or run credit card sales conveniently. 

For those of you who stopped by to say hello, I sincerely appreciate it and hope you had a good time! It was exhausting, but its always one of our favorite shows of the year. 

IMG_8077.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

Thanks for the behind the scenes info from a seller's standpoint.  If you had to quess how far did you have to drop your prices to get from 3 months ago prices to current prices?  

On 10/14/2022 at 12:58 PM, 1Cool said:

Thanks for the behind the scenes info from a seller's standpoint.  If you had to quess how far did you have to drop your prices to get from 3 months ago prices to current prices?  

Hard to say on there is a set % for the market at large but I would guess in the 20-30% range. Thankfully we had a ton of new inventory that I was able to price 1-2 weeks before the show so all of those prices were current.

Due to the size of our inventory it's tough to go back and reprice everything, so I am open to hearing fair offers at shows or otherwise.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:31 PM, AustinReece_GRRC said:

Obviously our viewpoint is completely different as a dealer but this was one of our best shows of the year. I'm sure it's no coincidence that we did great in a year that Dale, Ted, Zapp, etc. weren't there, but we also took the time to reorganize our entire show stock and reload with about 2,000 new raw books and 250+ new slabs.

Our busiest days were Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, though I heard other dealers had a great Thursday. It seemed to us that a lot of the guys looking for higher dollar items wanted to do their due diligence and walk the floor before making a decision, and in this market I don't blame them. We sold about 10-15 wall books throughout the weekend but I was most surprised by the amount of raws that we sold. We priced out tons of $100-$250 raw books to put in our boxes (x-men #9 and up, Avengers #10 and up, ASM #20 and up, etc) and a lot of those were selling very quickly. 

Buying for us was way down since we aren't paying as strong as what we were during the COVID years. All in all, it seemed that if your books were priced at current value (and I mean very current), there were a lot of people looking to buy. However, if you were priced from 12, 6, or even 3 months ago, I can see why you may not have had a great show. As Foolkiller said, I think some of these smaller one day shows may start to work their way onto more dealers schedules. I know we are doing Collector's Summit, Little Giant Show, and hopefully Torpedo Con if they run it again. I've said before I don't need 200,000 people in a room for a great show, just the right 200 people. 

And yes, load in/load out was terrible, Reed has GOT to figure out a way to make that easier on us. Not to mention, the place was so crowded that the internet was unreliable for 80% of the entire show, meaning we couldn't look up GPA or run credit card sales conveniently. 

For those of you who stopped by to say hello, I sincerely appreciate it and hope you had a good time! It was exhausting, but its always one of our favorite shows of the year. 

IMG_8077.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

Amazing how many dealers fail to understand cash flow You are completly correct, with so many jumping ship from the hobby - typical for a bubble burst - those that remain will be looking for current date pricing or less. 

We will see in 1-2 years how many comic dealers have true business accumen by who is left standing. It sure wont be those who price like a bubble is still in effect. 

If history in any indicator next bubble at best will be in the 2030's  BTW same thing occuring in Trading Cards.  

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/11/2022 at 11:48 AM, Robot Man said:

The list of dealers that wern’t there is more significant than the ones that were. I would also add in Bedrock, Worldwide, Terry and a few others. The ones that were seem to be “making the circuit”. Maybe Harley would have been the only one with anything I would want. 

I collect more obscure and rare GA publishers. There is rarely much of that available and when it is, I have to think long and hard if I really want it bad enough.

Prices have gotton to the point where the average collector and even a lot of more seasoned or advance collectors like myself have been pretty much priced out. This is not good for the long term of this “hobby”. 

Over at least the next few years I probably won't be able to make NYCC unless the dates change. Both of my daughters are involved in high school golf and the weekend before is 1st round of state tournament and then the final round the week of NYCC. I like to make money, but I wouldn't miss this stuff for any amount of money. Plus, the website is keeping me pretty busy, so some of the shows are no longer necessary for me. Maybe after the girls graduate, I might make a NYC return, but who knows. 

On 10/11/2022 at 6:25 PM, Foolkiller said:

Ted may be back -- but I doubt many others on this list will be.  Ritter was at the show (from Worldwide) but they were shopping only.  Terry I doubt will ever do another NYCC nor will Al, just no reason to.  Ben from Zapp didn't come back for this show, nor did JC Comics.  I think you may see Richie Muchin disappear from this show next year as well.  One of the big issues this year was load in was particularly difficult.  The public was there and spending money and I think many dealers were very happy -- but I also think smaller shows that cater to collectors who want vintage books can be equally as lucrative for many dealers and just less hassle.  one thing you can't deny though is that reed put the people in the building.  It was jammed and sold out all weekend.

I suspect Brian is right. Certainly cost is a concern for doing some of these shows, especially for people that have viable other outlets. NYCC has always been an extremely painful load in and load out. 

Peter of Comic4Less and I chatted for one hour.

I asked him why he hadn't gone to either Chicago Wizard World or C2E2 in last 3 years.  He and paid $32K rental and sold for $35K in three days at C2E2. He had $3000 profit but little over half of his profit went to his four employees.

Blamed on the unionized convention workers for raising the price on the booth lot.  The number of the comic book dealers has shrank since 2009.  I remembered there was about 18-21 dealers at Chicago Wizard World in 2009. Ten years later, I was at C2E2 in February and saw about 16 of them just before the pandemic hit here.  Incredibly, the number of the dealers went down to about 5 to 7 dealers recently at Chicago Wizard World last August.  I haven't gone to a single convention since 2019.

I went to NYCC in 2012 once but it blew me away.  I am sure it's not same one as it used to be.

Edited by JollyComics

To those that dropped off books to CGC at NYCC, have your submissions hit your account yet?

I submitted some books and cards.  The cards have been added to my account and even finished grading/shipped!  The comics I dropped off however, haven't been added to my submission tracking.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:26 PM, Dex25 said:

To those that dropped off books to CGC at NYCC, have your submissions hit your account yet?

I submitted some books and cards.  The cards have been added to my account and even finished grading/shipped!  The comics I dropped off however, haven't been added to my submission tracking.

Also interested as well. Dropped off books for CGC Signature Series and nothing has hit my account yet.