• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signatures - Downgrading

15 posts in this topic

With the upcoming Todd Mcfarlane signing that is going to be offered at CGC I have a question regarding such. Has anyone sent in a graded 9.8 by CGC, had it signed, re-incapsulated, and received a lower grading following when the book is returned? I have a couple books I am thinking of sending in for this even however I am a little leery on doing such given the current state of graded books coming out of CGC. Thanks for the input and look forward to seeing what others have experienced!

I'm curious as well... I'd seen mention in some past posts where CGC confirmed that the graders do have access to the prior grade as a reference.  If anything, it's hard not to assume that they'd use that as a past precedent and not want to deviate much either way.

My personal experience was the opposite of late... I had two books that were both 8.5 and (I thought) good candidate for a press/clean to get a better grade after being signed.  Neither was changed from the 8.5 and, oddly enough, the grader notes are copy-paste identical on the new signature series listings for the books.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:24 PM, Sean P. said:

Has anyone sent in a graded 9.8 by CGC, had it signed, re-incapsulated, and received a lower grading following when the book is returned?

That's fairly common, actually. To get the best grade out of a book that you're going to have signed, have CCS press/clean it while in CGC's custody.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

The only time I've done it with a 9.8, it remained the same but made sure to add Clean/Press. All others I have submitted the past few years of Sig Series have either stayed the same or went up grades after C/P. Only one has gone down in grade from a 9.6 to a 9.2 from some "staining." 

That said, no guarantees. 

of course this has happened

you are having a book that can get damaged in transit, damaged when cracked out by CGC, damaged when handled by the CGC staff and the signer, etc.

you also in all certainty are having a book graded by someone other than the original grader(s) and we know consistency has sometimes been an issue

the book's condition may have also naturally changed since first graded (ex. sun/light exposure) 

there is always going to be a good chance the book comes back a different grade ... maybe yours will come back a 9.9 :wink:

I would say out of hundreds of thousands of books resubmitted for signature, at least two have dropped grades.

hope that helps 

On 9/6/2022 at 11:18 PM, chrisd1 said:

I'm curious as well... I'd seen mention in some past posts where CGC confirmed that the graders do have access to the prior grade as a reference.  If anything, it's hard not to assume that they'd use that as a past precedent and not want to deviate much either way.

My personal experience was the opposite of late... I had two books that were both 8.5 and (I thought) good candidate for a press/clean to get a better grade after being signed.  Neither was changed from the 8.5 and, oddly enough, the grader notes are copy-paste identical on the new signature series listings for the books.

So yeah, I think that I jinxed myself by making this confident statement a few days back... I had sent in a previously-graded "Wolverine" 27 9.6 to get signed by Jim Lee at CGC and I was surprised today to see that it was re-graded a 9.4 after the signing.  Grader notes were included and said 'scratch on back cover.'

I'd had it pressed/cleaned (which presumably would have done nothing for a scratch) but obviously this experience just raises questions around if 1) The book's original grader had somehow missed the 'scratch' and/or was lenient OR 2) CGC somehow introduced a 'scratch' during the handling of the book for the SS event.

It could have obviously been worse situation - this isn't a particularly rare or expensive book even in high grades - but it was certainly a reminder that re-submissions can go sideways.

On 9/7/2022 at 10:02 AM, StillOnly25Cents said:

the book's condition may have also naturally changed since first graded (ex. sun/light exposure) 

Or what's even worse, somebody may have scrawled their shopping list on the front cover and defaced the book:  :fear::sick:

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

On 9/14/2022 at 1:09 AM, lou_fine said:

Or what's even worse, somebody may have scrawled their shopping list on the front cover and defaced the book:  :fear::sick:

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

I would rather have the shopping list instead of something ridiculous like "Spider-Man meets the Wolverine."  At least "blueberries, bread, milk, eggs" makes sense - Spider-Man does not meet the Wolverine

On 9/15/2022 at 10:53 AM, seanfingh said:

I would rather have the shopping list instead of something ridiculous like "Spider-Man meets the Wolverine."  At least "blueberries, bread, milk, eggs" makes sense - Spider-Man does not meet the Wolverine

Sounds good.  Next turtles book I get signed I'll have Kevin Eastman put down his favorite pizza toppings.

I have 9.8 White copies of ASM 299, 300, 316 and Hulk 340.  Was thinking about submitting them for this signing event, but not sure if its worth risking the grade even if the chances is small.  On the other hand, I have cover price + tax and grading costs in each of them.  So, maybe it is worth the risk?

Edited by mcduckz

On 9/21/2022 at 10:30 AM, mcduckz said:

I have 9.8 White copies of ASM 299, 300, 316 and Hulk 340.  Was thinking about submitting them for this signing event, but not sure if its worth risking the grade even if the chances is small.  On the other hand, I have cover price + tax and grading costs in each of them.  So, maybe it is worth the risk?

THose are popular comics, so if you search it out, the data is all there for you to work out the math to do your own analysis and compare to your own risk/profit preferences.  Good luck.