• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collections
2 2

111 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I don't know, but a book from the collection just sold last week for $90K in the HA auction.

Well, if a "grease penciled S" so-called non-pedigree copy of More Fun 55 in CGC 9.0 can fetched $90K, it makes me wonder how much the Church and Nova Scotia CGC 9.4 graded pedigree copies could fetch in today's marketplace?  :flipbait:

On 9/12/2022 at 7:42 AM, Marty Mann said:

I know my collection is  not considered to be pedigreed but I do believe I have the

oldest original owner collection on the boards having purchased my first comic book 

off the newsstand in 1942.

I would like to know if there are any others out there.        

mine was 1961 for the first comic book purchase  or very late 1960.....so win by a mile....1942...wow

On 9/12/2022 at 7:42 AM, Marty Mann said:

oldest original owner collection on the boards having purchased my first comic book 

On 9/12/2022 at 9:50 AM, Mmehdy said:

mine was 1961 for the first comic book purchase  or very late 1960.....

Do you guys still remember what that first book was and if you still have it in your personal collection to this day?  :luhv:

On 9/9/2022 at 10:33 AM, Marty Mann said:

I know one such collection and I understand why...but at least they know it exists.

I assume this wouldn't happen to be Bang Zoom's amazing collection that you are referring to, as we all know of its existence here already?  hm

On 9/12/2022 at 11:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Do you guys still remember what that first book was and if you still have it in your personal collection to this day?  :luhv:

no I do not it was either a DC/Marvel. prior to FF1 probably a pre-hero marvel book...Mom threw out books when we moved, I found out later, about early 1965 I began to recollect and that first issue was Strange Tales 136...and the rest is history

Edited by Mmehdy

On 9/11/2022 at 10:50 PM, lou_fine said:

Not a true comic book pedigree by any stretch of the imagination, but if you are referring to so-called "name collections' which we seem to have several of, one which they clearly missed was the "Bob Overstreet Collection" with the majority of which coming to market during the unveiling of the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening back in early '95.  :luhv:  :frown:

Dang, I had forgotten about this. You've reminded me that I rang them one day and landed Rangers 24, 25 and - I think - 26 from Bob's collection. They were all mid-grade, which may have been typical(?) - but as you'd expect, he had a good eye.

I no longer have them, sadly...anyone else get any of his books at the time?

On 9/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, Mmehdy said:

mine was 1961 for the first comic book purchase  or very late 1960.....so win by a mile....1942...wow

I think mine was Mystery in Space #57. I also recall having Brave and Bold #29.

I distinctly recall seeing FF #3 in the rack - but I thought the colours looked dull compared to DC. I was convinced Marvel would never catch on!

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 9/12/2022 at 11:41 AM, Mmehdy said:

no I do not it was either a DC/Marvel. prior to FF1 probably a pre-hero marvel book...Mom threw out books when we moved, I found out later, about early 1965 I began to recollect and that first issue was Strange Tales 136...and the rest is history

Too bad you didn't start a month earlier as you would have gotten Strange Tales 135 and I am sure that the upcoming Disney+ Marvel TV series on Nick Fury: Secret Invasions due out next year will only help to push the value of this book up even further:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/13/2022 at 1:29 PM, Marty Mann said:

My first comic book was ALL-WINNERS #4 graded 3.0 by CGC (0199552001) and I would never let it go.

Looks like you started off your comic book collecting the right way with an all time WWII classic cover book from Timely.  :applause:

I guess like other collectors in those days, you also tended to read and exchange your comic books with other kids to read back then, and I don't think there would be any condition conscious comic book nerds like we have nowadays.  :bigsmile:

Being a real long time comic book collector from decades before the age of certification, a little bit surprised that you would have this book graded and slabbed if it wasn't yet time for you to dispose of it.  Then again, being the first comic book that started you off on your lifelong wonderful journey, also not really that surprised.  (thumbsu

On 9/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, Marty Mann said:

I know my collection is  not considered to be pedigreed but I do believe I have the

I would like to know if there are any others out there.        

Wait.. are you ACTUALLY 88-years-old?

On 9/14/2022 at 9:31 PM, Terry JSA said:

Wait.. are you ACTUALLY 88-years-old?

Marty's a great guy.  If memory serves he was in the Navy in the 50's and after leaving the service went into television for awhile, even playing a deputy sheriff on a local kid's TV show back in the day which I think is super kewl. If you ask he'll probably be happy to discuss it, but he's a very modest fellow. 

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 9/15/2022 at 3:43 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Marty's a great guy.  If memory serves he was in the Navy in the 50's and after leaving the service went into television for awhile, even playing a deputy sheriff on a local kid's TV show back in the day which I think is super kewl. If you ask he'll probably be happy to discuss it, but he's a very modest fellow. 

:cheers:

Kids' TV, huh?

This one's for you, @Marty Mann!