• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Tier Grading is a joke...CGC just lost all of my future business.
3 3

172 posts in this topic

Most have no grader notes...the ones that do...I seriously do not see anything they note. Even within this batch I have several 9.0 that look far better than some that got 9.4. Again...I'm fine with grades that make sense and that you can see what they dinged them for...that's not what this order is...it just isn't. I have owned 9.8 that had worse spines than any of these...lol.

So this is the second time in two weeks you've been "done" with CGC...

"I’ve sent orders in the past that got a decent amount of cgc 9.8 for modern books. I paid for a third party presser for books that looked perfect in

the first place...my latest order didn’t have a single 9.8 out

of 25 books...and several got hit down to 8.5 for « light finger prints » with no other issues. My presser wears gloves and does great work and was responsible for a 24/25 9.8 submission in the past...there is just no way this is correct. My take is cgc has a bunch of untrained staff doing sloppy work. Here I sit with no recourse...cgc takes no

blame. I’m done with this company."

(Had to copy and paste since the other thread is locked)

All your books apparently look perfect, so let's see a scan or seven of these books that supposedly got jobbed.

The first post was when I saw the grades online, this post is with updated status of having them in my hands to actually see for myself. And instead of the books being damaged by CGC...it's now clear they really just tossed grades at books that are not remotely 9.0. But hey, thanks for the trolling. I'm by far not the only one experiencing this...there are many, many youtube video's of long time CGC submitters experiencing the same results and posting them. I will definitely get some scans up soon. As I said...even within this single bunch...there are books that are 9.0 that are cleaner than some that got 9.6.

Edited by NumminzAK

It is well known by now that they are very strict with Moderns. People have been commenting/complaining for a couple of years now. Copper and Late Bronze is a better era to submit IMHO as they appear to press out more easily than moderns and there are ton of $500 - $1000 in 9.8 books to chase raw. The price point on a lot of these books raw is sub $100 (or even sub $50) and they fetch a very nice premium.

Edited by kimik

I have no problem looking at books I send and seeing grades that make sense and acknowledging that I sent something in that shouldn't have gone. That's not what's happening here. As I mentioned...if you're interested in seeing the trend...check out several of the frequent submitters on youtube who are experiencing as similar shift. There is clearly a change happening and it should be a concern for everyone...CGC is supposed to be the gold standard and demand premium pricing...if this continues...there will be no point.

Edited by NumminzAK