• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Tier Grading is a joke...CGC just lost all of my future business.
3 3

172 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2022 at 7:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If CGC is getting you to submit the same books up to 3 times...I fail to see their motivation to change whatever it is they’re currently doing.

We submit very few moderns anymore because of this. This year is by far the least we've submitted in the past decade. We've changed our business model to be more around raw books. Personally I don't like slabs so it's perfect for us. 

On 9/8/2022 at 11:17 AM, NumminzAK said:

Most have no grader notes...the ones that do...I seriously do not see anything they note. Even within this batch I have several 9.0 that look far better than some that got 9.4. Again...I'm fine with grades that make sense and that you can see what they dinged them for...that's not what this order is...it just isn't. I have owned 9.8 that had worse spines than any of these...lol.

Did you pre-screen with that number of books its an option?

On 9/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, Point Five said:

On the contrary, I think people have gone pretty easy on the OP, at least by this board's standards. lol

Of course, the OP doesn't 'owe' us anything. But we asked for specifics (grader notes + pics) to see what he's talking about, and I think most of us are genuinely interested. We've exhaustively flagged CGC errors in other threads, so it's not like we just defend them reflexively at all times.

His posts are a mix of assertions re the grading that could *conceivably* be possible, but IMO with enough red flags sprinkled through (a 'high profile' 'certified by CGC' mystery presser apparently beyond reproach, the suggestion that grading is just about 'spines and corners', assertions that CGC is just after a 'money grab', 'tossed grades at books', etc etc) to give significant pause.

It's just not all that interesting

On 9/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, JWKyle said:

When someone says CGC messed up on grading their books and what they thought were 9.8 all come back 9.0-9.4 makes me just keep a mental note to not buy raws from that person.

Right, a decent possibility of that here with what we have to go on.

The OP also asserted that the slabs with grader notes are calling out specific flaws *which are not on the books*. So I'd like to see a few examples (grader notes + pic sets) of that in particular.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:07 PM, NumminzAK said:

I have no problem looking at books I send and seeing grades that make sense and acknowledging that I sent something in that shouldn't have gone. That's not what's happening here. As I mentioned...if you're interested in seeing the trend...check out several of the frequent submitters on youtube who are experiencing as similar shift. There is clearly a change happening and it should be a concern for everyone...CGC is supposed to be the gold standard and demand premium pricing...if this continues...there will be no point.

So, it would be no problem to show your books here and it would make sense and be acknowledged that shouldn't have posted here in a first place.

On 9/10/2022 at 2:22 AM, Gaard said:

<--- conflicted

On one hand, CGC has been doing this kind of for a while now (since hiring all those new employees?). It's becoming more and more a spoon shoot. but CGC's response to it? ... "Whatever"

On the other hand, he refuses to post pics. Why?

The internet is Jerry Spingeresque

There are a LOT of mischief makers out there

What I truly miss is the board detectives we used to have. They had the mettle and heart to suss out such things. 

I'd take up the mantle, but lets face it, this is my skill set

20200702_204955.jpg