• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA Collecting

55 posts in this topic

Wow, people really are all over the place as far as collecting delights.

I was really surprised to see a low number of Amazing Spider-man desires. I ended up dropping the hope for a full AS run due to the ridiculous prices. Even mid-grade books are so expensive anymore. Makes it not fun.

Currently, I'm pretty happy with collecting Journey into Mystery, SA Thor 12 centers, and SA Daredevil 12 centers. I just love that nobody seems to care about Daredevil SA books. Makes them pretty cheap for me in VF+/NM- grades. I was really surprised at the interest in Thor once I came here. E-bay and the local community don't adequate show that interest (beyond JIM).

What really surprises me is how much income people can afford concerning comics. I would probably be able to have a much larger and higher grade collection if I didn't love Modern so much. How do you focus income on your collecting habits (don't have to state dollar amounts)? Do you go month-by-month, whatever looks like a good deal, or even yearly caps?

Pat

I was a step collector as well....the only way for me to come close to completing my old X men run foreheadslap.gif

#1 8.0

#2-5 8.5-9.2

#6-20 9.2-9.4

#21 on 9.4 or better

I've now gone from runs to just collecting favourite books...basically a "collection of grails". I don't have the $$ to put together runs in the grades i like so i want to enjoy every book i own. I found that in every run there were books that i did not really like. Having a run of favourite books is far more fun for now....i seem to change my focus from time to time bt this is where i am now.

I've got a short list of SA grails I'd like to own someday...

ASM 39

FF 3

Flash 123

Hulk 1

Showcase 22

SS 4

ST 101

Strange 1

But other comics keep taking precedence (cool GA books like Batman 1-20, SA/BA runs).

BTW - Are the original early X-Men stories reprinted anywhere? I've always wanted to read them but Masterworks starts at GSX 1.

Masterworks volumes 3, 7, 28 & 35, i believe, capture the first 40 issues of the original team...................... thumbsup2.gif

I used to be all over the map. I mean, I collected everything under the sun. Now, Justice League 50-140 in 9.2 and up. 140-261 was just completed about 5 minutes ago thanks to Doug Sulipa. Next up Flash 191-250(already own 251-350). Despite my new focus, I will not sell all my other DC's to fund my new collecting interests. Plan on filling those holes after these two series are done.

NM or better pre-1965 SA DC (excluding Batman and Superman titles). Admittedly, I'm probably one of the most narrowly focused collectors on these boards.

Tim...just curious. Why don't you collect Supes or Batman titles. There are some great comics there. Detective issues from #280 to 320 or so are beautiful (abeit, korny) books.

Me, I'm all over the Silver Age. Just picked up Silver Surfer #3 and a Detective 295. Mostly go after books that just catch my eye.

Currently, I'm pretty happy with collecting Journey into Mystery, SA Thor 12 centers, and SA Daredevil 12 centers. I just love that nobody seems to care about Daredevil SA books.

I only need four more issues to complete my DD 1-50 run. All are CGC 9.0 or better (about half are 9.4's) except a lowly #1 in CGC 8.5 (but looking to upgrade). grin.gif

I've found out that I enjoy collecting more if I do set SOME GOALS. I say SOME because then I can try to collect certain runs or favorite artist, but then buy the occasional key (OK, not that occasionally) and other books that strike me at the time. Of course those other books are usually the first ones I sell, when I feel like selling something.

tongue.gif

My JLA arch-nemesis appeareth!

Uh Tim... since this thread is in the "Silver" forum, I assume all replies will be SA?! makepoint.gif

sorry.gif

Anyhoo, I can be even more narrow than thou:

Take your collecting interest list, and pare it down to JLA only (I've even sold most of my pristine Flashes & GL's to help $upport my last remaining title)! However, I am what you would call a"step-method" collector.

To wit:

1-22 9.0+

23-50 9.2+

51-100 9.4+

101-200 9.6+

201-261 9.8+

This makes completing the set an actual POSSIBILITY!

Wuss! sumo.gif If you can't reach the standard, then let's just lower the standard! What if FDR had said that after Pearl Harbor was bombed, huh?! We'd all be speaking Japanese! poke2.gif

Anyways, if you only need 1-22 in 9.0, why don't you sell your 9.6 #8 and #18 to me? I'm sure I can find you suitable replacements that would satisfy your lowered standards. poke2.gif

(How long before a 9.4 #4 becomes available Tim? Tim? Hellooo?) poke2.gif

Interesting pick, Rick. I'm personally surprised 9.4 copies of #4 and #6 haven't appeared yet, and I'm sure they're out there. Now, if a 9.4 #3 appeared, then I'd be surprised.

NM or better pre-1965 SA DC (excluding Batman and Superman titles). Admittedly, I'm probably one of the most narrowly focused collectors on these boards.

Tim...just curious. Why don't you collect Supes or Batman titles. There are some great comics there. Detective issues from #280 to 320 or so are beautiful (abeit, korny) books.

Good question, I just never got into Superman or Batman as characters. I should add Wonder Woman too, I guess. Maybe it's because they were carry-overs or continuations of GA characters, whereas the characters and titles I really like are all new superheroes created during the 1956-1962 period.

Interesting pick, Rick. I'm personally surprised 9.4 copies of #4 and #6 haven't appeared yet, and I'm sure they're out there. Now, if a 9.4 #3 appeared, then I'd be surprised.

I don't know Tim, I'm sure there are plenty of Silver DC collections out there -still raw- but you & I both know it takes a LOT to obtain that elusive ".4" status.

Personally, with #4 being a Key issue, I figure one would have popped up by now if it existed; #6 is still a possibility (dare to dream); #3 ??? dream on...ain't gonna happen anytime soon (read:years).

But then again, you sound pretty sure of yourself. Spill it, who do you know? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rick

PS: As for my #8 9.6...you get first refusal if/when the time comes, unless someone else starts begging for it. wink.gif

Post deleted by r1970d

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm no longer a completionist - I buy on a whim, and I look for the best athlete available at any given purchasing moment . . .

yay.gif

You really shouldn't have signed TO to that big contract.

yay.gifyay.gif

But then again, you sound pretty sure of yourself. Spill it, who do you know? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nope, just speculation on my part. It just would seem weird that there are 9.4 or better copies of 1, 2, 5, 7, 8 and 9, but not 4 and 6. #3 is different because of the black cover.

PS: As for my #8 9.6...you get first refusal if/when the time comes, unless someone else starts begging for it. wink.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

As my other thread suggests, I'm focusing all my efforts on the Marvel Silver Age keys in 4.5 - 9.4 depending mostly on eye appeal (good centering, no cover writing, "hidden" defects), page quality, and price. I'm currently trying to focus on an AF #15 in about 5.0, but am tempted by my other wants as they pop up. Even within a goal, I can get distracted!

Dan

Action 280-413 (9.2 thru 300 then 9.4)

Aquaman 1-52 (9.2 thru 10 then 9.4)

Atom 1-45 (9.2 thru 10 then 9.4)

Batman 150-242 (9.2 thru 170 then 9.4)

B&B 40-102 (9.2 thru 50 then 9.4)

Detective 300-424 (9.2 thru 320 then 9.4)

Doom Patrol 88-121 (9.4)

80 pg Giant (9.4)

Flash 105-220 (9.2 thru 140 then 9.4)

GL 1-89 (9.2 thru 15 then 9.4)

JLA 1-99 (9.2 thru 20 then 9.4)

Metal Men 1-41 (9.2 thru 10 then 9.4)

Showcase 4-86 (9.2 thru 40 then 9.4)

Superman 150-254 (9.2 thru 170 then 9.4)

Raw (only that i can see in person) or slabbed. I'm about 60% complete. Can anyone help a brother out?

How have people focused their Silver Age collecting?

Do you buy a certain company? A certain title? Particular characters (regardless of title)? Randomly purchase anything you want? Cool looking pieces? Artists/writers?

Just curious. I feel that I lose a focus every once in awhile. When focused, the collection feels more robust.

Pat

Good question. Personally, I started with the titles that I really enjoyed as a kid, Thor and Avengers. I then began working on them (usually buying the modern back issues in bulk and a silver or 5 here or there).

So what i did is I discovered that I wanted books to be vf or better, but also not cost prohibitive. When I started collecting, i didnt know the difference between a vf and a vg, i just knew I liked nice looking books.

So, i focues on Thor and Avengers and would stray into other titles and I started getting really off focus.

So, i decided I would finsih the Thor run at the exclusion of buying anything else. Finished it! Then I started on Hulk TTA and am not too far away from finishing that. I woulld still pick up the random Avengers book from ish 70-up, and have also added ToS from 70 on. That is how I stay focused.