• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold the last of my raw books today
2 2

36 posts in this topic

Congrats on getting to this point. I need to start to do the same, just still fighting my inner hoarder. At the end of the day I hope to realize a modest ROI and am treating it as a low risk investment that has given me nearly 50 years of enjoyment.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, universal soldier said:

Congrats on getting to this point. I need to start to do the same, just still fighting my inner hoarder. At the end of the day I hope to realize a modest ROI and am treating it as a low risk investment that has given me nearly 50 years of enjoyment.

Even if you only break even, it's like tossing your spare change in a water bottle for fifty years.  In HS, my friends threw away their money on snacks, lotto, smokes and such. I bought comics. Entering college, I sold my collection and bought a three year old Firebird.  It's a forced savings club.

On 9/12/2022 at 3:15 PM, shadroch said:

Even if you only break even, it's like tossing your spare change in a water bottle for fifty years.  In HS, my friends threw away their money on snacks, lotto, smokes and such. I bought comics. Entering college, I sold my collection and bought a three year old Firebird.  It's a forced savings club.

Great perspective! I feel the same- harder to just make a whimsical purchase using them.

But some years ago when my son needed medical care that wasn’t covered by my insurance, I sold some books for a nice profit and used it to cover the costs. It really helped us out.

On 9/12/2022 at 3:15 PM, shadroch said:

Agreed, break even isn't a bad thing at all, especially with the junk I bought in late 90's/2000's. I unfortunately was one of the ones who spent my money in HS on all the wrong things but course corrected once I got into college.

On 9/10/2022 at 2:16 PM, shadroch said:

I thought I had them sold a few weeks ago, but the guy got greedy and kept wanting me to throw in more and more stuff.  At last weeks Tucson show I gave out  sheets with my inventory and today the last 20 or so raw boxes went. I was hoping he's take the 132 slabbed books but we were too far apart. I'll be shipping them to MCS over the next few weeks but may offer a few on the boards. 

As I started collecting in 1973/74, it's been a heck or a ride but it was time to let go. Once I start RVing fulltime, I'll have no room. I did keep one box, mostly Schomburg covers, and a few favorites.

When I started selling, I was hoping to get $250K for everything. Assuming the CGCs sell as anticipated, I'll be closer to 270,000.  

Congrats!!!  What an accomplishment.  I hope the slab sales work out for ya. (worship):golfclap:

I'm still working on selling off 21 long boxes of raws that I've had for decades, but they are mostly Moderns.  I started on eBay back in 2017 with my raw copy of Batman Adventures #12.  Now that I closed that account and started here on the boards in 2020, I've cleared out roughly five long boxes of raws...almost emptied another, but not quite.  My wife will be happy to have the extra room. lol

My slabs are another matter.  I still have about 6/7 slab boxes of Moderns.  That will take longer to sell of, but I do all my selling here...no where else.  It's more of a hobby than a serious money-maker. (thumbsu

So again, well done amigo!!!  Looks like you're on your way.  If you RV to Colorado, let me know here on the boards!!!  I don't know if we'll ever end up that far south in AZ, but who knows. :banana:

Now, back to my sales threads!!!  Uggghhh!!! :roflmao:

Edited by Galen130

On 9/12/2022 at 12:28 PM, NoMan said:

I belonged to The Wally Barham Airstream club (look it up) as a kid....

I belonged to the Roy Rogers Buckaroo Club as a kid.  Had the official membership card with genuine plastic wallet.

We couldn't stand you Airstream club kids......with your fancy indoor sleeping and such.

On 9/13/2022 at 2:33 PM, littledoom said:

How many boxes of comics did you have when you first started this selling process?

32 long drawboxes, 28 short drawer boxes, 20 short boxes in BCW shells, maybe another dozen or so assorted boxes, 8 boxes of magazines, about 15 boxes of tpbs, and nine Hot Flip/CGC boxes and twenty omnibi. Plus the assorted odds and ends.   Still finding stuff as I go thru the storage container. I guesstimated about 18,000 units, in all. There were eight boxes of solid SA Marvels, 20 boxes of good BA Marvels,  three long boxes of premium BA/CA., and two long boxes of good SA DC. I'm hoping there might be another SA box somewhere as I know a few SA Spideys have not turned up yet.

On 9/10/2022 at 1:16 PM, shadroch said:

I thought I had them sold a few weeks ago, but the guy got greedy and kept wanting me to throw in more and more stuff.  At last weeks Tucson show I gave out  sheets with my inventory and today the last 20 or so raw boxes went. I was hoping he's take the 132 slabbed books but we were too far apart. I'll be shipping them to MCS over the next few weeks but may offer a few on the boards. 

As I started collecting in 1973/74, it's been a heck or a ride but it was time to let go. Once I start RVing fulltime, I'll have no room. I did keep one box, mostly Schomburg covers, and a few favorites.

When I started selling, I was hoping to get $250K for everything. Assuming the CGCs sell as anticipated, I'll be closer to 270,000.  

I started collecting back issues in 1968. I did what you did, most are gone. I need to nimbler these days. Some of the best experiences of my life has involved this hobby. 

Edited by Humpty-Dumpty
spelling

On 9/15/2022 at 4:12 PM, Kosmo23 said:

Whose selling comics on here?  from 1990 and older 

I am a long term holder- hopefully passing the collection along to my kids (one who has much interest in the hobby)- or maybe selling some of the stuff when I am in the 65+ range (so that’s about 15 years away) to keep me occupied