• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Which of these 3 comics should I buy?

30 posts in this topic

not gambit unless you're getting CGC 9.8+

On 9/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, Blastaar said:

If Annual 14 didn’t exist would that change your mind or is it just the saturation of the comic in the marketplace? 

I'm a +1 with him, gambit is just too common , unless you don't mind that, needs a 9.8 or signature series or something to make it "unique"

That leaves the other two for me, they haven't been successful promoting iron fist, but I lean toward it. Shang chi, I'm just not sure how dedicated they are. In comics iron fist has an established history, but with movies who knows? Give it a coin flip, as movies deviate a bit from actual comic --script, shang chi might be eventually liked over all.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, Blastaar said:

No. Just ones I don’t have. Feel free to offer up any first Appearances that would be a good alternative. Nothing modern. 

The SME 15, or other ideas maybe Strange Tales 169 (Bro Voodoo), or if you don't already have a GR 1 or Conan 1. Also, Thanos has cooled (IM 55), or maybe a Warlock book (FF 67 or MP 1 or Thor 165), or Man Thing (Sav Tales, Fear 10 or MT 1)?  Killraven gets no love (AA 18), nor does most of the S&S stuff (Kull, Thongor, Gulliver Jones ...), probably for good reason - but very 'cheap' relative to same era 'key' books.  Maybe Iron Fist 14? Though probably you already have it.

On 9/21/2022 at 2:27 PM, grebal said:

The SME 15, or other ideas maybe Strange Tales 169 (Bro Voodoo), or if you don't already have a GR 1 or Conan 1. Also, Thanos has cooled (IM 55), or maybe a Warlock book (FF 67 or MP 1 or Thor 165), or Man Thing (Sav Tales, Fear 10 or MT 1)?  Killraven gets no love (AA 18), nor does most of the S&S stuff (Kull, Thongor, Gulliver Jones ...), probably for good reason - but very 'cheap' relative to same era 'key' books.  Maybe Iron Fist 14? Though probably you already have it.

I like Conan 1

I’d save a bit & find a nice 7.0 with white pages 

On 9/21/2022 at 10:36 AM, Blastaar said:

$275 budget whatever grade that gets me from each. What would you get?  

Marvel Premiere #15.  
First Iron Fist

Special Marvel Edition #15 

First Shang Chi

Uncanny X-Men 266

First Gambit 

Iron Fist.

I would go with Special Marvel Edition 15, as it introduces a character who successfully carried a long-running series and will be featured in it seems at least two major motion pictures. Additionally, it sports a classic Bronze Age cover - easily the best of the three books cited.  2c