• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this even possible. Book was submitted and replaced entirely. CGC error
8 8

87 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2022 at 2:00 PM, mysterio said:

“Most trusted” is still true when you consider the alternatives. Doesn’t make it a compliment. 

Never understood this.  Multiple threads here based on constant CGC failures. One ongoing for years.  Misgrades, damaged books, upside down, switched books, lost books, etc., etc., and people still make comments that the competition is less trustworthy than this.

These are the people CGC know will be there for them no matter how bad they get.

They have no reason to improve because of fanboy mentality.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Never understood this.  Multiple threads here based on constant CGC failures. One ongoing for years.  Misgrades, damaged books, upside down, switched books, lost books, etc., etc., and people still make comments that the competition is less trustworthy than this.

These are the people CGC know will be there for them no matter how bad they get.

They have no reason to improve because of fanboy mentality.

The only true competitor CGC has is raw books.   There is no real alternative for encapsulation.  The choice becomes one of whether to send your books through the CGC gauntlet...or just sell your books raw.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The only true competitor CGC has is raw books.   There is no real alternative for encapsulation.  The choice becomes one of whether to send your books through the CGC gauntlet...or just sell your books raw.

Yea...  I know the mentality here is to pretend that is true. Fortunately, it's not.  There is a company that outperforms in every way, except CS.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:32 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Yea...  I know the mentality here is to pretend that is true. Fortunately, it's not.  There is a company that outperforms in every way, except CS.

Is this the company that recently lost a 300 book submission and then launched an "investigation" a year later after the submitter finally went public?

On 10/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, Ryan. said:

Is this the company that recently lost a 300 book submission and then launched an "investigation" a year later after the submitter finally went public?

The investigation was already going on, but yea, them.  Not the one who has a hundred cases of lost books (including 14 of someone I'm aware of, with no responses from CGC CS).    

Edited by Sigur Ros

There are plenty of results that would disagree. 

Guess which book is CGC's and which is someone else's?

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.24.19 AM.png

On 10/2/2022 at 1:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

There are plenty of results that would disagree. 

Guess which book is CGC's and which is someone else's?

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.24.19 AM.png

Not sure what that has to do with being more trustworthy but while everyone is circle-jerking, maybe someone could throw out a reason.

Lol  👌

On 10/2/2022 at 1:44 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Not sure what that has to do with being more trustworthy but while everyone is circle-jerking, maybe someone could throw out a reason.

Lol  👌

You mentioned, and I quote again:

Here is a way that they do not outperform.  They do not seem to outperform at the point of sale.

Anything before that is irrelevant because at the end of the day, if people keep seeing CGC slabs outperform and they get more money for their comics, they will continue to send money to CGC to grade their books.  

EDIT: and this is coming from myself, who has made mention that they did not renew their CGC subscription and has not sent in books in around two years. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 10/2/2022 at 1:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

Here is a way that they do not outperform.  They do not seem to outperform at the point of sale.

Anything before that is irrelevant because at the end of the day, if people keep seeing CGC slabs outperform and they get more money for their comics, they will continue to send money to CGC to grade their books.  

Gotcha.  That is true.  Also, if sales are important, that disproves raw being the better option.

From a PC standpoint, I stand by my comment.  Won't list the reasons because the troll with the name-du-jour likes to report.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

EDIT: and this is coming from myself, who has made mention that they did not renew their CGC subscription and has not sent in books in around two years. 

I went elsewhere after being fed up with all the CGC issues.  During that time, while the other guys did excellent work (much better, in fact) on the product itself, their customer service is the worst.  Then they raised prices, including membership which is at a ridiculous level now.  So as soon as my membership ended and I decided I wasn't going to renew with them, CGC sent an email with the $99 offer for the $150 credit.  I bit.  But I don't trust them at all.  I've seen and read way too much.

And while people love to have the ammo of the missing long box at the other guys, we've read story after story here over the years of missing books.  My presser stopped submitting partly because one of his customers currently has 14 books CGC says are lost, and they stopped responding apparently.  

But yea, "trustworthy".

yet again...

Edited by Sigur Ros

Is that the same company that gave me a witnessed label for a verified signature? Same company that listed non-pressable damage in the graders notes and gave me a 9.4, which magically became a 9.8 after a press
? Same company that sent my book back with massive wrinkles coming off the spine? Same company that has TATs that explode everytime they are faced with even a slight challenge? Same company that ignores customers when they do make mistakes? Same company that turned their verified label yellow to try and equate a verified signature with a witnessed one, all for their own benefit?

Asking for a friend. 

Outperforms is questionable at best, outright laughable at worst. 

On 10/2/2022 at 2:14 PM, Sigur Ros said:

But I don't trust them at all.  I've seen and read way too much

You're missing an obvious fact though. 

Customers with issues at 1000x louder than those without. Even if the issue is tiny, they will broadcast it everywhere. Meanwhile, 10s of thousands of books go through just fine. 

Not saying CGC doesn't have issues, they definitely do. Had quite a few annoying issues myself. But statements like that are inflammatory and exaggerated, with just a sprinkle of drama. 

On 10/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, mediaslave said:

Is that the same company that gave me a witnessed label for a verified signature? 

No idea.

Maybe you should have gone to CGC for that verification ? 

Same company that listed non-pressable damage in the graders notes and gave me a 9.4, which magically became a 9.8 after a press? 

I dunno.

Same company that sent my book back with massive wrinkles coming off the spine? 

No clue.

Same company that has TATs that explode everytime they are faced with even a slight challenge? 

Well, you have to blame CGC issues, price hikes, etc. for competitor TATs.

Same company that ignores customers when they do make mistakes? 

Oh, that's definitely them.

Same company that turned their verified label yellow to try and equate a verified signature with a witnessed one, all for their own benefit?

How dare a company listen to its customers!

On 10/3/2022 at 12:26 PM, mediaslave said:

Not saying CGC doesn't have issues

Good.  That would be an unbelievably stupid thing to say.

Proof

Edited by Sigur Ros