• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Poor Man's Action Comics #1"
5 5

83 posts in this topic

I kind of wonder if some books are just too singular to have a true "poor man's" version. I mean, clearly, some do. IH 180 as the poor man's 181 comes to mind. Or one of the MF issues with Action 1 ads as the poor mans New Adventure 26. But with AC 1, TEC 27, I don't know that there is a true poor man's version.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:52 AM, rumrunner71 said:

I kind of wonder if some books are just too singular to have a true "poor man's" version. I mean, clearly, some do. IH 180 as the poor man's 181 comes to mind. Or one of the MF issues with Action 1 ads as the poor mans New Adventure 26. But with AC 1, TEC 27, I don't know that there is a true poor man's version.

New Adventure 26 and the MF's are, IMHO, candidates for the poor man's Action 1 because they are pre-Action 1 images of Superman and "first appearances" if you think ads matter for first appearances (I don't).  Again, the import of Action 1 is the first appearance and origin of Superman.

IH 180 is NOT a poor man's 181, again in IMHO, because it is the true first appearance of Wolverine in story continuity (just not valued as much as the 181 b/c he's not on the cover). 

On 10/3/2022 at 10:47 AM, sfcityduck said:

New Adventure 26 and the MF's are, IMHO, candidates for the poor man's Action 1 because they are pre-Action 1 images of Superman and "first appearances" if you think ads matter for first appearances (I don't).  Again, the import of Action 1 is the first appearance and origin of Superman.

IH 180 is NOT a poor man's 181, again in IMHO, because it is the true first appearance of Wolverine in story continuity (just not valued as much as the 181 b/c he's not on the cover). 

I thought about that with the ads. For the vast majority, those ads are the closest we'll come to AC 1. There's an argument to made there about them being poor man's AC1s. (I won't make it, but it could be made.)

I wouldn't disagree on 180, either. Just trying to think of better examples than some of the suggestions in the thread for AC 1 alternatives.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:27 AM, Northwest said:

More Fun Comics 14. First Superman prototype in DC Comics. 

240.jpg

I think Dr. Occult is cool.  But I've never bought the Superman prototype concept. It's based on the fact that in New Fun 14 he has a red cape (which everyone else in the story also has) and takes flight. Problem is that the only reason he takes flight is someone else moves him with magic. It is not of his own volition or due to any SUPERHUMAN power of his own. It is not until issue 16 that he gets a belt that lets him fly on his own but how is that different than Buck Rogers and his belt? Or other pre-superman magical characters? (Was Peter Pan a Superman prototype?) And, really, the character has no similarlity to Superman other than they were drawn by the same artist.  But, to my eyes, Shuster was ripping off Raymond's Flash Gordon stylings (which started the prior year) including with the swords:

DC Comics' First Superhero, Dr. Occult in More Fun Comics, at Auction

Flash Gordon's look from a year or two prior to New Fun 14:

md17726916680.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/3/2022 at 1:26 PM, sfcityduck said:

I think Dr. Occult is cool.  But I've never bought the Superman prototype concept. It's based on the fact that in New Fun 14 he has a red cape (which everyone else in the story also has) and takes flight. Problem is that the only reason he takes flight is someone else moves him with magic. It is not of his own volition or due to any SUPERHUMAN power of his own. It is not until issue 16 that he gets a belt that lets him fly on his own but how is that different than Buck Rogers and his belt? Or other pre-superman magical characters? (Was Peter Pan a Superman prototype?) And, really, the character has no similarlity to Superman other than they were drawn by the same artist.  But, to my eyes, Shuster was ripping off Raymond's Flash Gordon stylings (which started the prior year) including with the swords:

DC Comics' First Superhero, Dr. Occult in More Fun Comics, at Auction

Flash Gordon's look from a year or two prior to New Fun 14:

md17726916680.jpg

Fair points. Supes didn't fly, wasn't topless, and didn't have a cameltoe until much laterB|

On 10/4/2022 at 10:39 AM, woowoo said:

I have a poor man's Action 2 also Thanks to a fellow boride:baiting:image.thumb.jpeg.3bb15c5576f17a3020ade788de76684b.jpegimage.jpeg.5b3be5c9520d16caf9e8751ae765e655.jpeg

A boride is a compound between boron and a less electronegative element, for example silicon boride. The borides are a very large group of compounds that are generally high melting and are covalent more than ionic in nature. Some borides exhibit very useful physical properties. 

.......don't think this describes many people here  lol

Edited by fishbone

On 10/3/2022 at 8:17 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:
On 10/3/2022 at 5:31 PM, woowoo said:

make your own post then click the dots :banana:

Gee, that sounds like a lot of work... hm  :whistle:

Well, since you are too lazy to do this.....................I just gave it a try and can confirm that it actually does work.  lol

Learn something new everyday.  (thumbsu

On 10/5/2022 at 8:31 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if you are thinking about books like More Fun 14, then how about going even further back to what many viewed as the true prototype:  (thumbsu

The Reign of the Superman - Wikipedia

It is definitely a unique piece. Assuming one can find a copy (last sale 2018 https://www.rrauction.com/auctions/lot-detail/339264605363034-jerry-siegel-and-joe-shuster-39-reign-of-superman-39-1933-fanzine-), it's likely beyond many collector's affordability threshold.