• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record sale for foreign comics, Non canon ASM wedding issue sold for 15k+
1 1

65 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2022 at 8:00 AM, pemart1966 said:

As is $15,600.  lol   :facepalm:

I don't see how this relates to anything I said.

A book containing a pretty much self-published (or self-written if self-published doesn't work for you since it was "licensed") story with plot points that are not considered anywhere else in the world and deviated from the story printed everywhere else in the world that was written by the Spider-Man Creators (and the death of Gwen Stacy is actually a huge part of Spider-Man's history which is why modern creators still acknowledge it) is now a huge part of Spider-Man history because it sold for $15,600? Are you saying that's all it takes? Was it NOT a huge part of Spider-Man history before this sale then?

You're coping. 

edit: on further re-read, I may be misinterpreting what you meant to say. If so, I apologize, not sure if you were disagreeing or agreeing with what I said. 

Edited by JC25427N

On 10/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, marmat said:

Does anybody has rhe link to the auction of foreign editions? Please please? 

Auction 40210:

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+792+4294941201

40210.PNG.7d620aba8a7601ce917e93df1fe90d7e.PNG

On 10/4/2022 at 11:41 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

fixed

I don't own this book & believe it being non cannon is pretty wild & plays an interesting part in Spider-Mans mythos from another country. Do you feel this way about ASM1 & AF15 or do you own those? Asking for a friend 

This book has been a grail for foreign collectors long before this heritage sale and consistently selling in the thousands of dollars for the last 5 years.. I think the excitement is that there seems to be more mainstream acceptance of these amazing non canon comics from the mainstream and “big” collectors rather than just the foreign fringe. I can’t think of more than 5-10 Americans that own a copy so it’s not exactly like we are all just speculating to cash in.. we are just proud to see a foreign comic grail have such good results at auction.

On 10/5/2022 at 12:33 PM, steve566 said:

This book has been a grail for foreign collectors long before this heritage sale and consistently selling in the thousands of dollars for the last 5 years.. I think the excitement is that there seems to be more mainstream acceptance of these amazing non canon comics from the mainstream and “big” collectors rather than just the foreign fringe. I can’t think of more than 5-10 Americans that own a copy so it’s not exactly like we are all just speculating to cash in.. we are just proud to see a foreign comic grail have such good results at auction.

Agreed 120%. I would say 99% of the people who own a copy aren't looking to cash in. Some wild comments in this thread. Peoole get reall uoset about books they don't own. Pretty trivial. Can't be happy. I don't own it 🤣 

Edited by JGeezy87

On 10/5/2022 at 12:04 PM, JGeezy87 said:

People get really upset about books they don't own.

Some have basically their entire post history telling us what books they don't own, and boy are they angry. lol

On 10/4/2022 at 1:55 PM, wardevil0 said:

It's part of why these are "non-canon" Spideys. The Mexican audience/distributors/someone was so put-off by the death of Gwen Stacy they actually deviated from the --script sent by Marvel HQ.  In this issue specifically, Peter marries Gwen and this becomes the status quo for Mexican Peter Parker, about 15 years before US Peter Parker marries MJ.  Considering this fan-fiction is just to be disparaging.  The original Japanese Spider-Man manga isn't "fan fiction," and neither is this.  It's original, foreign-sourced Spider-Man produced professionally and under license.

Very interesting thank you

On 10/5/2022 at 11:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If they unexpectedly deviated from the story delivered by Marvel HQ, that sounds like non-canon to me. I didn't even know that situation was a possibility.

Obviously Marvel still had to approve it for the Mexican audience: they control the IP.   So based on what I’m hearing here , it IS canon it’s just Mexican canon not US canon.    Neat that they diverged.    Knowing the backstory certainly makes me more interested in the book although I’d need at least a decimal shift to bite.

On 10/5/2022 at 3:22 PM, Las Tua said:

This seems similar to the "importance" of this "book" :screwy: At least this one is in English.

s-l400.jpg

Ah yes the whole this is english so it's better shtick LOLI'm sure the people buying books for $15,000 are reading them, english or not. I bet everyone cracks open their slabs they buy to read them after Heritage. forgot only US material can be important MURICA.

Racism as a counter arguement, interesting.

Edited by JGeezy87

On 10/5/2022 at 3:22 PM, Las Tua said:

This seems similar to the "importance" of this "book" :screwy: At least this one is in English.

s-l400.jpg

So other countries comic history is irrelevant? You do realize there are more comic readers around the world then there are in the US and English speaking countries right? Comics are an international platform.. your American elitism is showing 🤮

I don't think people are saying (or I'll at least speak for myself, but I believe its true for others) this book is meaningless or doesn't deserve to hold it's value for foreign collectors. What I think people are taking issue with is considering this a huge part of Peter Parker/Spider-Mans history, when nothing that happens in this book has anything to do with the Peter Parker/Spider-Man that the rest of the world acknowledges. In that regard, it's nothing more than a foreign what-if story "What if Gwen-Stacy survived". 

Edited by JC25427N

On 10/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, JGeezy87 said:

Ah yes the whole this is english so it's better shtick LOLI'm sure the people buying books for $15,000 are reading them, english or not. I bet everyone cracks open their slabs they buy to read them after Heritage. forgot only US material can be important MURICA.

Racism as a counter arguement, interesting.

I’m all for people collecting foreign comics:  I think it’s great.   But being of part Italian descent I’d be much more inclined to buy a Topolino 1 or something rather than any Mexican book.   I do actively collect Canadian books.    If I was of Mexican descent I’d be all over this ASM… it’s a really neat backstory. 

Edited by Bronty

On 10/5/2022 at 4:38 PM, Las Tua said:

Oh, I didn't realize that Marvel comics were originally published in Spanish, then translated into English. My bad :makepoint:

At the end of the day whether something is derivative or not doesn’t matter - it’s just supply and demand , and US collectors are for the most part pretty uninterested in anything that isn’t American (across all hobbies not just comics).   I wish it was different but that’s how it is.   

Edited by Bronty

Case in point - American ports (essentially reprints for the American market ) of Japanese video games are worth much more than the Japanese copies they entirely derive from.    Nobody cares about what derives from what.   It’s just - is it ‘Merican or not?

On 10/5/2022 at 2:41 PM, steve566 said:

So other countries comic history is irrelevant? You do realize there are more comic readers around the world then there are in the US and English speaking countries right? Comics are an international platform.. your American elitism is showing 🤮

lol Good ole America bashing - the Millennial method of having a discussion with people they disagree with - including a healthy side of “…you do realize…”  for maximum righteous indignation, and let’s not forget a barfing emoticon - you know, ‘cause America is disgusting!

Written like a well-read 12 year old. :eyeroll: