• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting the CC in NY
4 4

55 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2022 at 8:19 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Seriously??!!

Yep. It actually was the posts in @walclark thread that helped convince him that the NN books were in fact Cookevilles. He said--and I think it's true--that board threads have a lot of information that's difficult to find elsewhere. Not to say, of course, that he's relying only on board threads to flesh out the stories of the pedigrees. He's also interviewing all the relevant people he can find--OOs, dealers who brought collections to market, collectors who remember the backstrories they were told at the time by dealers or OOs, and so on. Regrettably, since the project first started a fair number of those people have passed on to the great comic con in the sky,

But assuming he (and Steve) can actually pull all the extant info together, it should be a heck of a book. 

On 10/8/2022 at 8:22 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Who has the C & H?  And does that tag read $400k? 

Heritage and it does. That's the pre-auction estimate. Given how few Watterson sundays are out there, when one he hand colored comes to market craziness will result. 

On 10/8/2022 at 8:36 PM, Point Five said:

Thanks for the pics and reviews, Sqeggs! I had to miss the show this year, so really nice to see these.

Thanks. I wish I'd done a better job of documenting the show. I started out fairly strong (at least for me!) but gradually fizzled out as I ended up forgetting to take any pics of several of the booths I spent some time at. 

On 10/8/2022 at 4:53 PM, Sqeggs said:

Now that the grading guide is done, he is going full bore on the pedigree book. Not that he hasn't said that a time or two (or three or four) before, but I think he really is geared up to get it done.

Was this before or after he sold you the Brooklyn Bridge?

On 10/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, Sqeggs said:

But assuming he (and Steve) can actually pull all the extant info together, it should be a heck of a book. 

I guarantee I will be one of the first people in line when this book comes out. I think it will be a fascinating read.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:01 PM, Sqeggs said:

I did and I also invoked your name with Matt Nelson. We had been going around about whether the NN books were actually Cookevilles or whether only the SN books were. I said, "Well according to waclark on the CGC boards ...." He blanched, gasped, and said "Well in that case, it must be true!"

Actually, he does now agree that NN books were legit Cookeville copies and CGC will put them in ped slabs going forward. He said he's carefully reading through board threads on pedigrees as he gears up to finish the ped book. 

My goodness, I hope that Matt didn't get the vapors when you "invoked" my name! :roflmao:

On 10/9/2022 at 8:31 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 10/9/2022 at 8:29 AM, Sqeggs said:

Heritage and it does. That's the pre-auction estimate. Given how few Watterson sundays are out there, when one he hand colored comes to market craziness will result. 

I totally agree

It's been discussed in the OA forum.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, Math Teacher said:
On 10/9/2022 at 8:27 AM, Sqeggs said:

I guarantee I will be one of the first people in line when this book comes out. I think it will be a fascinating read.

I won't be in line, because it's highly unlikely I'll still be alive by then. 

On 10/8/2022 at 4:12 PM, Sqeggs said:

Well two out of five are right side up! :golfclap: Board randomness, I guess. 

I'll stop here. My conclusion is that if you are interested primarily in comics rather than pop culture generally, particularly if you're interested mostly in GA, NYCC is probably not worth attending at this point. Sad to say but a conclusion that other collectors (and dealers) already arrived at some years ago. 

I just thought you were making a wry statement about the economy and comic book market. (:

On 10/8/2022 at 5:04 PM, Sqeggs said:

Maybe being on a new page will cause the image to display correctly?

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1601.jpeg

Great Con report Tony, always enjoy seeing them.

Some of these pics confirmed for me something i've suspected about you for a long time :

You're Spider-Man!

Edited by sagii