• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta’s Best Cover?
1 1

81 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2023 at 9:17 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

The correct answer is this….

IMG_9166.jpeg

I got to agree. To me this cover is far superior to his later paintings and better than his other Buck Rogers covers (FF, WSF, and BC) especially when in color.

But, I also think the best expression of his full talents are in interiors and strips where he shows his mastery of storytelling and action. Examples:

image.png.4a2791ed5e5c99cddd78b3df2086763d.png

Original Comic Art:Comic Strip Art, Frank Frazetta - Original Comic Strip Art for Johnny Comet Daily dated 2-7-52 (McNaught Syndicate, 1952). This absolutely as...

Edited by sfcityduck

His recent record setter's 1st appearance is on Karl Edward Wagner's "Dark Crusade" The reproduction on the 1976 paperback is quite a bit better than most of the earlier Frazetta paperbacks. All of the Wagner Kane books with Frazetta covers have become pretty pricey in high grade for Bronze Age paperbacks due to Wagner's cult-like following, probable lower print runs on these when they came out in the late 70's and the excellent covers.

20231007_164512.thumb.jpg.6a24801c18d411dbd4bcb777725598f4.jpg

20231007_161338.thumb.jpg.fbc82335d02e08201a7bedc081e01d7d.jpg

20231007_161421.thumb.jpg.8dc049f68af1df456c5b3e429aeb56d5.jpg

On 10/7/2023 at 5:00 PM, OtherEric said:

Well, if we're extending the discussion to paperbacks, this one has to be in the discussion.  First publication of the iconic Death Dealer image:

Flashing Swords 2.jpg

Nice copy there :whistle: 

I actually read the whole thread for the first time and there were paperbacks earlier in the thread, but not "Dark Crusade" featuring "Dark Kingdom" which broke the record recently or any of the other tough Wagner pbs.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:55 PM, Surfing Alien said:

His recent record setter's 1st appearance is on Karl Edward Wagner's "Dark Crusade" The reproduction on the 1976 paperback is quite a bit better than most of the earlier Frazetta paperbacks. All of the Wagner Kane books with Frazetta covers have become pretty pricey in high grade for Bronze Age paperbacks due to Wagner's cult-like following, probable lower print runs on these when they came out in the late 70's and the excellent covers.

20231007_164512.thumb.jpg.6a24801c18d411dbd4bcb777725598f4.jpg

In case any of you were not into southern rock

Molly_Hatchet_1979.jpg

On 10/8/2023 at 12:03 PM, path4play said:

In case any of you were not into southern rock

Molly_Hatchet_1979.jpg

Bought this at Titus Oaks Records on Flatbush Avenue the week it hit the radio back in 1979. I may even still have it somewhere although most of my lp's got pretty trashed. Not the first use though, which was the Kane book 3 years earlier, although likely much more well known due to the multi-Platinum sales.

On 10/10/2022 at 4:40 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Well, since we're all over the map on what constitutes a comic cover, here's the best cover I think Frazetta did specifically for EC material (mid-60's Ballantine paperback)...

8c1d4f8c-97ae-4498-a888-5b7cbf6d0f5e_zpsseq4aebz.jpg.bb4a7b309400e3d2b06a48a98986fc24.jpg

After seeing this SF cover, even if you'd never seen an EC comic, you would buy it ...then immediately start hunting for the old back issues!  :drool:

:cheers:

Anybody know if this is also on any comic cover or is it offered as a print if anyone knows? Man this is amazing and have never seen it before. Thank you for sharing and any feedback :)

On 10/11/2022 at 4:18 AM, sfcityduck said:

A really beautiful FF 214, because of its colors, just blows the WSF 29 away (it was supposed to have been a FF cover, right?). To nitpick the WSF 29, I always wondered why the hero's arms were out of proportion and he has a lot more hair on his forearms than the Neanderthals.  Once seen its hard to un-see.

Agree completely with you about FF 214.

To even more nitpick the WSF29, I don't see the central figure as "the hero" but as a ruthless invader. The others are obviously trying to defend their home, with what look like juveniles in the cave.

Edited by Albert Thurgood

There’s almost always something that bothers me in a Frazetta cover. I think it’s because I hold him to such a high standard. FF 214 was my hands-down answer until I learned how heavily influenced it is by Wally Wood. I think it’s still my favorite comic cover of his, though.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:05 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Agree completely with you about FF 214.

To even more nitpick the WSF29, I don't see the central figure as "the hero" but as a ruthless invader. The others are obviously trying to defend their home, with what look like juveniles in the cave.

On 2/11/2024 at 2:44 PM, KirbyJack said:

There’s almost always something that bothers me in a Frazetta cover. I think it’s because I hold him to such a high standard. FF 214 was my hands-down answer until I learned how heavily influenced it is by Wally Wood. I think it’s still my favorite comic cover of his, though.

So far, it seems like FF214 is leading the votes...