• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men 118 Whitman Variant - Cover Almost Colorless

18 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

This one has me stumped so I figured I would try to draw on expertise on this board. I bought a cool collection today that had this X-Men 118 Whitman variant. However, the reds and yellows are almost completely absent from the cover. At first I thought it may be sun fade but it really looks as though those colors were never there to begin with. My next thought is maybe the printer was running out of some inks when this one rolled out, but I dunno. Has anyone seen a book like this? Is it just sun fade or does it look like something else?

Capture.JPG

On 10/16/2022 at 10:50 PM, Stefan_W said:
On 10/16/2022 at 10:26 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Post a pic of the back cover.  That will tell the full story. 

Back cover looks normal but there is almost no color there. Just an ad for Lego. 

Can you post a pic? 

On 10/16/2022 at 6:54 PM, Stefan_W said:

Hi Everyone,

This one has me stumped so I figured I would try to draw on expertise on this board. I bought a cool collection today that had this X-Men 118 Whitman variant. However, the reds and yellows are almost completely absent from the cover. At first I thought it may be sun fade but it really looks as though those colors were never there to begin with. My next thought is maybe the printer was running out of some inks when this one rolled out, but I dunno. Has anyone seen a book like this? Is it just sun fade or does it look like something else?

Capture.JPG

Sun fade

Agreed, it is sun fade. Red is the first color to go with sun fade, and you can still see a smidgen of red left on Sunfire's lower leg, meaning the red WAS there at some point, and has since faded. 

On 10/16/2022 at 9:54 PM, Stefan_W said:

Hi Everyone,

Capture.JPG

Like it better than the original 

Here’s a great thread to share it in (thumbsu

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Post a pic of back cover if it’s normal with the colours it’s sun fade if back cover is missing colours like the front then might be a printing error..

What has said by all prior to me is the answer....sun fade, unless on the back you cannot make out reds and yellows.

The bottom right with Colossus was likely covered up in some way while the rest was exposed to the sun. And it would not take long. I left a textbook in the back window of my car and within a couple months that thing was faded terribly (sat in a sunny parking lot for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week)