• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Project: Marvel Value Stamp

165 posts in this topic

And here are the layouts...

Page 1 - Complete

MVS1.jpg

Page 2 - Almost complete (that's another story)

MVS2.jpg

Page 3 - Complete

MVS3.jpg

Page 4 - Remaining: #78 - The Owl, #97 - The Black Knight

MVS4.jpg

did you use regular 11x17 art board for these?

One of the most amazing commission works I've ever seen. Simply spectacular.

Also, kudos on your tact - "93 other people got it right" to Neal Adams that you discussed somewhat earlier in this thread. Very very funny.

Best of luck on getting this done.

Great job.

- A

As someone who may require reading glasses soon, I say cut Neal Adams some slack as he came through in the end. lol.

Cheers!

N.

Absolutely. Once we figured out what was what I knew it was fixable. However, I don't think I can properly express the sinking feeling I had when I realized the 94th piece was in the wrong place. 5th piece, 20th piece, ok I can deal with it. But the 94th!!!

But in the end it turned out just fine.

Great project! I saw Golden working on the Man-Wolf in Baltimore. If you had a "wish list" for those final two, who do you think you would go for that you haven't gotten anything from yet? There are several artists who do great "free" con sketches, but the trick is catching them at the right place and time. It look me 5 years to get a Jim Lee sketch, but when it finally happened, it turned out great...

lee-devilgirl.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=542711&GSub=85524

Good luck on those final two!

Dave M.

I was going to try for Lee last year but the line was just too long. It would have taken half the day.

Wrightson has been on my want list since I started this. I've probably seen him more than any other artist and each time I ask him. I wait until there is no one around then approach him very discretely because I know if he doesn't want to sketch there is no way he's going to say yes if people are around. I've probably asked him half a dozen time and each time it's almost like it's the first time he's ever seen this. I explain what it is, how it works, he looks over it and says very nice. When I ask him if it would be possible for him to contribute he politely says, sorry I don't sketch. I've offered to pay him, make donations to Hero, etc. but each time it's the same. I've even had other artists and promoters mention it to him but it still no. :sorry:

Travis Charest is the only other person to flat out refuse. Sure there have been some several "if I have time" responses and that's understandable but Charest was a total dickmachine. At Hereos a few years ago (I only had maybe 20 or so done) he was sitting at his table all alone. I told him about the project and all the while he sat, reclined in his chair just staring past me like I was some disembodied voice in his head. I asked if he had time for a sketch and he said, "Well I have all of these portfolios to sell and I won't do any sketches until they're gone." So I asked how much they were and he said $50. There were about 20 of them on his table so there was no way I was going to buy him out just to get a sketch. However, I did offer to buy a few of them (thinking I could at least recoop some of my money on eBay). He said, "No, I'm not drawing until they're all gone. I just don't have time to sketch." Mind you, he was sitting all alone at the table.

Later the next day (Saturday) he was still at his table by himself again. I notice that a few portfolios were gone so I decided to ask him again. Once again he gives me this look like I'm holding up the hoards of hades from getting to his table and says, "I still haven't sold all my stuff so I'm not sketching." Then he moves his notebook and goes back to sketching (very detailed) on the vinyl table cloth. D!ick!!!!

That night at the art auction they auctioned off that hunk of vinyl table cloth (which went for like $400 or something). I thought maybe I mistook what he was doing earlier so I mentioned it to the guy running the auction. He told me they asked Travis if he would do something of the auction and he said no. Someone on staff saw the drawing on the table and they asked him if they could use it and he just shrugged and said, I guess. So total dickery was confirmed.

All in all I'm surprised with some of the art. There are several people I didn't think I would be able to get. Romita, Adams, Sienkiewicz (who wasn't doing quick sketches at the time, only $500+ commissions), Cho (and the redo after he saw it a second time)... I didn't think I would get any of these.

Re: Travis Charest:

We are from the same neck of the woods so I sort of know him and I can certainly understand your frustration on this especially since you are a paying customer.

But don't hold your experience with him against him

Artists are tempermental.

If you have been working real hard as of late doing a drawing is sometimes the last thing you want to do.

Drawing what I want to versus what you want me to are also completely different things.

He definitely could have shown you some interest / respect though.

Myself, I would be honored to do one of those Marvel Value Stamp slots and wouldn't even charge for it.

I'd have to agree with Artboy. Artists are people too, and people have good days and bad days. Charest is another one who I also had been asking for multiple years about getting a sketch from, and the answer had always been "No". This year though, I started to see a few quick sketches from him going up on Comicartfans (and up on eBay) after conventions, so I kept checking his area this past San Diego until he didn't have anyone around him waiting for autographs, then went up and asked about getting a quick head sketch. He said "Sure, I could do something, but you have to give me a piece of paper". I pulled out my sketch pad, and got this from him...

travis-devilgirl.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=542702&GSub=85524

Sure, it's a quick head sketch, but it was free, and actually more detailed than some other free sketches I've seen him do. Your own project might seem too much like "work" for him to want to do something ("You have to draw one of these characters in this particular location"), but it's worth at least one last inquiry if you happen to see him before the spots get filled.

Yeah, Wrightson is a tough nut to crack. I haven't seen him do any convention sketching (short of pre-done sketches to sell AT conventions) for years. You never know though, he might decide to help out a charity while at a con, and be able to get a sketch that way. Howard Chaykin used to never draw at shows, then he started to do some sketches for CBLDF, now you can just walk up to him and plunk money down to get a sketch. I'll look forward to seeing how those last 2 spots turn out.

Dave

And so it ends!

Nearly 5 years ago I started the MVS project and now, thanks to some timely help from a few good friends (more on that in Comics General) it is complete.

The final 3...

#76, The Owl - Matthew Kirscht (out very own Shiverbones)

078_TheOwl_MatthweKirscht.jpg

#97, The Black Knight - Mark Bagley

097_BlackKnight_MarkBagley.jpg

And finally... the source of a million jokes for the past 5 years...

#33, The Invisible Girl - Stan Lee

033_InvisibleGirl_StanLee.jpg