• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Golden Age Comics used to be encapsulated in larger cases?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I just purchased a Golden Age comic that was originally slabbed in 2008. It is encased in a larger slab. I assume a Magazine case. I measured the comic and it is 7 5/8" x 10 1/2". Was it standard practice for Golden Age comics to be encapsulated in larger cases back then? I did not pick up on the larger case when looking at the photos the seller provided and he made no mention of it in his listing. Do you feel this is something that should have been disclosed by the seller?

As always much thanks to all who respond! 

On 10/26/2022 at 7:16 AM, Meekrab said:

It still is. If the book has a problem like overhang or a spine roll it can be slabbed like that.

There is no apparent spine roll or overhang. Like I said I measured the comic and it appears to be within the standard size for GA comics. ( 7 5/8" x 10 1/2")  - I will also add I have bought several GA books from this title and this is the first one that has been encased in a larger slab. 

Will CGC give an opinion on it if I contact them prior to send it in for re-holdering? 

Edited by O Doyle Rules

On 10/26/2022 at 8:37 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

Will CGC give an opinion on it if I contact them prior to send it in for re-holdering? 

CGC may advise you send the book to them as a Mechanical Error for review. If so, then you can write your concerns and observations on the invoice, or on a separate sheet of paper taped to the slab.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:07 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I just purchased a Golden Age comic that was originally slabbed in 2008. It is encased in a larger slab. I assume a Magazine case. I measured the comic and it is 7 5/8" x 10 1/2". Was it standard practice for Golden Age comics to be encapsulated in larger cases back then? I did not pick up on the larger case when looking at the photos the seller provided and he made no mention of it in his listing. Do you feel this is something that should have been disclosed by the seller?

As always much thanks to all who respond! 

What is the specific book ?  Some series were cut smaller and mine such as Planet and the other Fiction House books are in smaller cases, but some of the older titles, or the books from the early 40's seem to be in larger cases.

I never paid that much attention because I rarely use standard CGC storage boxes, I find I like plastic boxes best and they are larger...but I do know mine are in mixed cases.

I would just email Cgc directly with your questions and concerns.  Use specifics. 

I was working on an Action Comics #25-#50 run and some of the books were in standard CGC cases, and some were in magazine cases. I had two slabbed myself.  One of them came back in a standard case and one came back in a magazine case (AC 27).  There were several other errors on the one in the magazine case so I sent it back and asked for a standard case and they returned it in a magazine case.  They certainly are much uglier IMO.  Below are two that were in magazine cases and two in standard cases.  The books are identically sized, but my guess is that the spine quality of the books made the slabber feel they would be squeezed in a standard case - just a guess though.

image.jpeg.422bdd083b6c7a8f3ecfb4c7fecbee51.jpegimage.jpeg.8c5436bf6d68f6099a3699c9951d3f2e.jpeg

image.png

D5C77713-5563-4891-863C-7D49A8891EE1.png

On 11/3/2022 at 12:45 PM, Msgarmar said:

spine quality of the books

I think that's it.  Just the slightest amount of spine roll makes the books a bit too wide for the standard holder.  I've been fortunate that none of my early Actions have been put in one of these monster cases, but I have other books that were not so lucky.

That #30 is such a great cover.