• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action Comics 1 and 2

246 posts in this topic

DoubleActionInsideFC.jpg

Hey, this cartoon is by Fred Schwab. I don't think I knew that he had any strips in DC books.

That means that between 1937-1940, he did work for Centaur, Fox and DC. Not too shabby! :applause:

It does looks like Schwab, but how do you know for sure. hm

I don't see his signature anywhere, and if it's reprinted from a Centaur book I don't recognize it.

It does looks like Schwab, but how do you know for sure. hm

I'm jumping to conclusions....so point taken! hmhm

But both the artwork style and the lettering scream that it's him to me.

I'll back that up!! The "eyes" have it, so to speak (see the third panel). Its gotta be Schwab.

One book that was on the market a few years ago appeared to have have had its original cover replaced with a high grade cover sheet. I saw the book and it was apparent that the cover had been added because it did not fit the book properly.

I heard about this Frankenbook from another collector, but I did not see it. I presume you are referring to Metropolis, whom I was told was trying to peddle it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Have we confirmed that every copy has the exact same interior pages?

In view of the above, this should be a serious concern for any interested parties

Well I can tell you a little bit about the double action #2 that became a part of Ian Levine's collection...

It was discovered by Joe Conzolo who owns JC Comics in North Plainfield New Jersey (actually his brother Jeff got it in)... and essentially it was just a part of a collection with some other GA books. Other than the Overstreet designation, they weren't completely aware of how rare the book was or what its value was.

As we all know, this copy became part of the infamous "the wheels are in motion" thread. Essentially though, the copy was just in someone's house and walked into a store... the copy was then sold to Metropolis (after I believe being CGC'd) and then sold to Ian Levine.

It was the most horribly overgraded book I've ever seen. :grin:

Mark when will those two be auctioned off? Will they both be in the same auction?

Two copies in just a few months! WOW!

Ronaldo

Feb for the restored, May for the unrestored. At least for now.

Got a link for them?

Not online yet.

I was visiting with Jim Halperin and Lon Allen at Heritage in Dallas on Thurs and it was mentioned to me. Once the auction descriptions for the Feb catalogue are completed it will be online. Probably no longer than about 2-3 weeks.

Mark when will those two be auctioned off? Will they both be in the same auction?

Two copies in just a few months! WOW!

Ronaldo

Feb for the restored, May for the unrestored. At least for now.

Got a link for them?

Not online yet.

I was visiting with Jim Halperin and Lon Allen at Heritage in Dallas on Thurs and it was mentioned it to me. Once the auction descriptions for the Feb catalogue are completed it will be online. Probably no longer than about 2-3 weeks.

Thanks Mark!

One book that was on the market a few years ago appeared to have have had its original cover replaced with a high grade cover sheet. I saw the book and it was apparent that the cover had been added because it did not fit the book properly.

I heard about this Frankenbook from another collector, but I did not see it. I presume you are referring to Metropolis, whom I was told was trying to peddle it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In view of the above, this should be a serious concern for any interested parties

It appears we now know what happened to the second loose cover that came from Sol. Is this the 9.2 that's in the census?

It appears we now know what happened to the second loose cover that came from Sol. Is this the 9.2 that's in the census?

There is a concern that this is what happened, but I don't believe we can conclude this as a fact yet.

This is exactly why we need to determine what are the specific interior contents of each of the copies, and whether the interior is taken from another previously published comic which would even allow a marriage to take place.

Gary, it is my understanding that the CGC 9.2 is one of the two high grade complete copies that were part of the estate.

Sol's estate? Joe Desris, who acted as Sol's agent for the sales of his ashcans and other comics/artwork, never mentioned to me that there were complete DA 2's in Sol's files (while Sol was alive). It's possible that there may have been, but I'm sure that Joe would have given me a shot at them - at least to see if he could get a higher price...

Were these found after Sol died?

I have a tendency to jump to conclusions, so I apologize to the owner of the 9.2. It's just that I've heard for years that there was a married copy out there (that had one of Sol's covers on it).

I have a tendency to jump to conclusions, so I apologize to the owner of the 9.2. It's just that I've heard for years that there was a married copy out there (that had one of Sol's covers on it).

Here's the scan again for comparison (I didn't see it referenced before?).

49540-pgcmint_da2.jpg.c4c807153c0db51ff62ee39dc91c3791.jpg

Here's the scan again for comparison (I didn't see it referenced before?).

:bump: Beautiful book! Wowzers!